Training out of the comfort zone

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The opposite of one's usual pattern. So if you're normally practicing kicks with bare feet on the matt, have you also tried training those kicks with shoes on? Or like me, who trains with shoes normally, tried with barefeet? How did you do?

If you're used to punching with gloves on, have you also trained barefisted?

Did it show up any weaknesses in your habits?

I first got used to training kicks on a lacquered gym floor wearing crosstrainers--I was one of those women taking a cardio kickboxing class at a local community center. A few months later I began EPAK in a dojo, barefeet on a very thin industrial carpet flooring, which was little softer than bare cement. Each of those situations affected my kicks and stances in a certain way, and I never questioned that I'd have to adjust for different surfaces and footwear. So then it was kind of a rude awakening when for the first time I tried a roundhouse kick in crosstrainers on a padded matt- couldn't get that pivot right, my soles wanted to "grab" the flooring. I had to re-learn certain things.

So yes, weaknesses in my technique were definitely exposed, and now I am wondering if it isn't smarter to train SD techs generally in a variety of floorings, with bare feet and also shod. As far as I know however this isn't done as a general practice, not even in RBSD. Shouldn't it be, though? I could be surprised in my own home and forced to defend myself barefoot, and also walking in work shoes or flip flops outside.

Thoughts, experiences?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Generally I train in class barefoot and when I train at home or at a mate's place I wear shoes which does give me some variety.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Placing our feet so that the technique (especially kicks) will function with shoes and on different surfaces is something we do from white belt up. Not to mention this is also important with regard to preventing injuries and not wear out the knee joints needlessly.

About gloves and mouthgards.. I was a bit suprised during a black belt test (I was just acting as uke) when our sensei told us to spar without protective gear. Not sure if she did to put us out of our comfort zone or what. We usually don`t go full contact so no biggie, but one guy got a split lip.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
If your training for self defense then you have to do some training out of your comfort zone. (and really a good deal of traing should already be uncomfortable, being punched, kneed, palmed, elbowed, cranked and thrown is not comfortable.)

The Dojo, the mats the Gi and the people can make you perform at your best due to familiarity and ambiance (that was HUGE for me as a musician, my room was decorated and set up in a way to encourage good playing and new ideas.) you know where you stand and your amongst friends (hopefully) so you sdo need to shake things up.

We have our students wear T-shirts under their Gis and bring their sparribng gear always.
Most classes you use a Gi and you dont use one.

Sometimes you spar in what I called "Padded Roman Soldier" gear, sometimes limited gear and sometimes no gear. (Cups and mouthpeice is always up to the individual).

Sometimes we have the guys train in street cloths, some of us go out and train outside, on uneven surfaces.

I do alot of my solo FMA/Weapons trainiing in the backyard, the part that becomes a marsh when it rains, I also bring my weapons on short hikes and practice iin the woods.

It helps you find things out in training before you find them out in a real fight.

I remember in my youth, I was mainly a TKD/Kung Fu guy and my clothing choices were always made with kicking in mind.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind, is when I joined my Kung Fu class that kept their shoes on, as opposed to my Karate class that didn't wear shoes during practice. The difference was my feet felt heavier with the shoes on. From then on, I primarily practiced with shoes on.
Also used the big heavy Boxing gloves, but didn't really care for them, as I kept using their size as a shield to cover me, as opposed to using actual parries.