Protective Eyewear For The Martial Artist

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was noted by some in a recent photo that I posted that it appears I am wearing protective eyewear in my dojo.

12189111_10207180085515474_1330426665127990878_n.jpg

This is correct; I am wearing what are generally known as 'racquetball glasses'.

I happen to have very bad eyes, plus as I have gotten older, I now have to wear bifocals for reading. I cannot wear contacts at all, not even soft lenses, due to my astigmatism (yes, I know they make soft lenses with astigmatism correction, but not for *my* level, trust me, I've worked closely with my eye doctor on this). My eyes are so bad that I cannot simply take my glasses off in the dojo; that leaves me unable to see what is being taught. I also can't wear my street glasses; I tried that and they got broken. Much too expensive to repeat that little lesson.

So I discovered these glasses, and I bought a pair online from some Chinese importer. They were very inexpensive. I sent them my prescription and my "PD" (pupillary distance) that I got from my eye doctor. I only got single-vision lenses, I didn't need the bifocals for the dojo, I don't read text when I'm working out.

I like them because they have an elastic strap that keeps them on my face when I sweat. They have a padded side and nose piece that keeps me from getting cut or seriously bruised if I take a shot to the head. I can clean them easily (the strap gets stinky like a gym sock after awhile). The lenses are 'shatter proof' although this is my 2nd pair - the first pair got, erm, shattered, when I took a bo through the lens of my first pair. Fortunately, it did its job; I got a cut over my eye, but did not lose my eyeball.

You can also buy them in the USA, or buy them overseas without lenses and have a local eyeglass place put lenses in them for you. If you don't have eye problems and can use a non-prescription set, then you're good to go right off the bat.

I recommend them. I've heard lots of complaints from people who have never worn them about what they suppose the drawbacks might be, but I've been wearing them now for going on 8 years. They do not fog up. They do not cause me any issues whatsoever in the dojo. They protect my eyes. I recommend them.

741921_lg.jpg

This is where I got mine, but I don't work for them, and you can get similar glasses anywhere. I am not making a specific recommendation, this is just an example:

Black Prescription Sports Glasses #7419 | Zenni Optical Eyeglasses

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. Nearly the same boat. I used to have freaking AWESOME eyesight. Perfect vision 20/10 right eye and perfect vision 20/15 left.

Then I got old.

Presbyopia stinks. My "normal life" specs are bi-focals for reading and from about 4 feet to infinity (driving, normal conversation, etc.) I have a second, single vision, pair of specs with a focus at ~2.5 or 3 feet. I use these for Computer and for shooting 'cuz my front sight is a fuzzy blur without it.

I've used Zenni and had good results. I've been considering getting the single-focus scrip made in their Amber safety glasses

I also use a diopter pin-hole device (DIY) for shooting too, which helps a great deal.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions