Do you practice outside of class?

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello all.

A couple of months ago, my son and I joined a new martial arts club. We're loving it, but we're not very good at it yet.

Here is a dilemma I face. Do we practice at home between classes or not?

Here's what I'm thinking.

On one hand, if we practice at home, then obviously that would generally be a good thing. BUT, as we're still total beginners, what we currently do will not be quite right. I'm worried that if we practice without the supervision of our instructor, all that will happen is we will perfect the art of doing it wrong.

Any thoughts?

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i practice all the time outside of the gym --- it's the only way to get to grips with things :)

also if you practice in front of a mirror then you can correct yourself so that when you next go to class then with a bit luck and a following wind it'll be good enough :)

KydeX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Practice at home. Just try to practice what you have been taught in class. Don't add stuff from other sources.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't worry, I never seen a form done perfectly and i know certainly i never been perfect. Mistakes are going to happen. But with practice they can be better than they were before practice. Focus on what your instructor has been getting on to you for. If he/she says fix something that would be something to focus on while practicing at home.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

A couple of months ago, my son and I joined a new martial arts club. We're loving it, but we're not very good at it yet.

On one hand, if we practice at home, then obviously that would generally be a good thing. BUT, as we're still total beginners, what we currently do will not be quite right. I'm worried that if we practice without the supervision of our instructor, all that will happen is we will perfect the art of doing it wrong.

Any thoughts?

Yes, practice at home. Stick with what you've been taught, concentrate on replicating what you learned in class. But you can also take it further. For example, in the two hours of class I teach, I might have time to work a drill with one of our 9 punches. I hope my students go home, and over the course of the week, take the drill through all 9 punches. (Or however many they've learned if they haven't learned all 9 yet.)

Yes, you will practice some things "wrong." Your teacher will correct you on this. But you'll practice things "wrong" in class, too... That's why you're learning! And even instructors need to have outside eyes check them every once in a while, because things will drift off.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all.

Any thoughts?

I'm assuming that your teacher is telling you and your son whether or not you're doing something wrong, so if they are, then I'm also assuming that they're telling you how to do it correctly as well? Even if you only worked on a few things, that's better than nothing. I would suggest taking notes. Write down as many of the fine points as you can, so you have something to go by. You might also see if your inst. would be willing to let you video them performing the material. That way, you could have a visual when you're at home.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, practice outside of class every chance you get. If you wait until you get it absolutely perfect then you will never train.
Besides, you're only learning on a surface level while in class. To truly learn something, you must ingrain it, which means going over and over and over the material.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do we practice at home between classes or not?
The following "true" story may give you some idea.

A Chinese tea shop owner (an old man) had one good skill but won't teach anybody outside of his family. A young boy wanted to learn that skill. The young boy went to that tea shop, provided free labor, and hope the old man might teach him. One and half year of time had passed. One day before the tea shop owner closed his shop, the old man said, "I know what you are up to. Now watch this and I'll only show you once." After he had done a 6 seconds short form, he then told the young boy never to come back again. That evening, the young boy grabbed his young brother, spent the entire evening to figure out the application in that 6 seconds material. Next morning, the boy took his young brother to the old man and performed the "application". The old man said, "You can demonstrate it, but can your "use" it?" 1 months later, there was a local tournament, the young boy used that move to win that tournament. The old man stood up from the audience and spend 3 hours explained the information in that 6 second short form. The old man and the young boy had established a good relationship since then.

If the young body didn't spend time at home to

- figure out the application from that 6 second "solo form" material,
- develop that skill, and be able to apply in tournament,

by using his young brother as his training partner, his relation with that old man would just stop right there. The young boy would end with just 6 second "solo form" from his one and half year of free labor.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello all.

Do we practice at home between classes or not?
Any thoughts?

Only practice what you want to become good at. You will make mistakes. Making mistakes is good, learn from them. You will discover many things about yourself and your abilities. Self discovery is an amazing teacher, learn from it. Practice even if some is not correct, you will gain strength, balance, coordination, along a with an awesome bonding with your son. Yeah I strongly encourage you to practice.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
train at home is better to makes you comfortable to the technique, then comes to class to check if your understanding is right or not, then fix it, continue it at home, and so on...
just like studying in school, you read the book again after class to understand more and put some question for future class...

OP
B

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all. It seems to be unanimous, we train at home.

The reason for my question was that my son and I were struggling to master basic form number 1 from our club's style. I thought I'd finally cracked it, so I practiced and practiced in my garden, convinced myself I had it, then showed my son who was also struggling with it.

In the following lesson at the club, I started to do it along with everyone else, and it was noticed that I was doing the turns completely wrong. Now, 3 weeks on, my son is getting the whole form right except the turns.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The reason for my question was that my son and I were struggling to master basic form number 1 from our club's style. I thought I'd finally cracked it, so I practiced and practiced in my garden, convinced myself I had it, then showed my son who was also struggling with it.

In the following lesson at the club, I started to do it along with everyone else, and it was noticed that I was doing the turns completely wrong. Now, 3 weeks on, my son is getting the whole form right except the turns.

That happens. That'll sometimes happen even during class. I've looked at everyone doing something that I just taught, and seeing multiple interpretations... which tells me that I simply need to re-teach it, because I didn't get it across properly. I've worked my butt off to learn something for months -- and met with the person teaching me, only to discover that I got major parts wrong or out of sequence.

It happens. The plus is that, through the practice, you can fix the parts that went off. It's like you're writing a word with an ie combination... instead of having to get the whole word right, you just have to fix that part. (Not the best analogy, I hope it's clearer than it seems.) If you wait 'til you have it absolutely perfect and correct to practice, you'll never succeed in learning it...

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score

Train in class

Practice at home

When I practice at home - and I have been since I started - I work on small pieces of material..example, the turns in your form: for a couple nights - just work on the turns and then try incorporating the steps with the turns...it took me 3 weeks to get Basic 1 form - but when it 'clicked', I woke up at 3 am and did it in my pajamas! :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We do Martial Arts, that's just what we do. How do you not think of it outside of class? I don't mean all the time, or even most of the time, I mean when it just jumps into your head from one trigger or another. Like none of us have ever been walking across a room and suddenly had that urge to....whatever, just for the fun of it. Or have been watching TV and seen something in a fight scene that we know wasn't realistic, but we happen to like the way they shot it. Or seen a couple of people interacting in a stressful situation that might end up in a scuffle - and start looking for cues. Next thing you know you're doing things at home that are usually reserved for class, looking for that spare hour to do more, but not usually finding it. Ah, but when you do...nice! It's inevitable, we're screwed.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Do you know what the single most common mistake is for new students learning our Basic form 1?
Turning the wrong way.
Do you know what the second most common mistake is?
Thinking you know the form. You don't. Mostly because as you learn more, your understanding of the form will (or at least, should) change, and you'll perform it differently. We require students to learn Basic 1 before they can wear a uniform. To move to yellow belt (9th geup) they have to perform the Basic 1, 2 and 3. The way they perform it to get their uniform and the way they perform it for their 9th geup promotion will not be the same. Grossly the same, yes, but the details (which are what really matter) will change constantly.

So relax about it. Practice as best you can when you're at home, and trust that your instructor(s) will make corrections in class.

This is also one place where books and videos are useful. While the consensus position (with which I agree) is that you're really not going to be able to learn from a book, you can certainly use one as a reference to check which way you're supposed to be turning. Just make sure the book matches the program you're in. The way we do Basic 1 in our Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do program may or may not match the way you do it in whatever system you're studying, especially in the fine details. So ask your instructor(s) for guidance before using any supplemental books or videos.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Train in class

Practice at home

When I practice at home - and I have been since I started - I work on small pieces of material..example, the turns in your form: for a couple nights - just work on the turns and then try incorporating the steps with the turns...it took me 3 weeks to get Basic 1 form - but when it 'clicked', I woke up at 3 am and did it in my pajamas! :)

This is excellent practice. I've said about a bazzilion times that the best way to improve your forms is to stop practicing them.
Focus on the individual techniques or combinations that seem the most difficult to you.
Forms are, at their root, a bunch of techniques strung together. If you improve the individual techniques, the form will improve. And if you focus on just the areas that you're struggling with, they will improve faster than if you practice the entire form.

Latest Discussions