Do you fear "gassing out" in a fight? How is your fitness?

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are different paths to victory. If your technique is truly superior, I understand you can win without much physical effort. And you can win quickly. No argument from me on that, for sure! People when in physical confrontations, through superior technique all the time, even though their opponent is much bigger and stronger and more fit than them.

However if you struggle to take control, or take out someone quickly, how is your physical fitness? Do you consider being physically fit in a very important part of your overall martial arts ability?

Do you fear that your physical fitness is not where it should be, and that if the fight becomes a prolonged conflict, you will be in big trouble?

Do you think physical fitness is an extremely important aspect to being prepared overall as a martial artist?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it is easy to go down the rabbit hole in an attempt to make oneself into the perfect warrior. For the vast majority of us, the need to actually defend our lives is unlikely, and fights become extremely rare once we leave high school. If not, then one probably ought to examine one’s own behavior and habits to figure out what is going wrong.

That said, I have always been athletically minded, and enjoy things like running, swimming, long bike rides, long hikes, etc. But as I get older and have the typical responsibilities of an adult, including parenting, marriage, a job, and (the gods forbid!) interests other than martial arts (you know, all the things that make life rich and interesting, and prevent you from becoming a monotonous one-trick pony), I find that time is limited and I cannot devote myself to becoming the perfect warrior for the unlikely chance that I may need to defend myself from the Vandals and Visigoths upon my doorstep. So I focus my efforts on my martial training because that is where I am happiest with my limited training time.

My martial training can be physically challenging and does contribute to cardio conditioning. At the ripe old age of 51 I suspect I am in much better physical shape than most at my age, but at the same time I am not the physical specimen I was at age 26 when I trained obsessively and had no family or parenting obligations and few outside interests to hinder it.

So really, just decide where your priorities are and spend your limited training time there.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is easy to go down the rabbit hole in an attempt to make oneself into the perfect warrior. For the vast majority of us, the need to actually defend our lives is unlikely, and fights become extremely rare once we leave high school. If not, then one probably ought to examine one’s own behavior and habits to figure out what is going wrong.

That said, I have always been athletically minded, and enjoy things like running, swimming, long bike rides, long hikes, etc. But as I get older and have the typical responsibilities of an adult, including parenting, marriage, a job, and (the gods forbid!) interests other than martial arts (you know, all the things that make life rich and interesting, and prevent you from becoming a monotonous one-trick pony), I find that time is limited and I cannot devote myself to becoming the perfect warrior for the unlikely chance that I may need to defend myself from the Vandals and Visigoths upon my doorstep. So I focus my efforts on my martial training because that is where I am happiest with my limited training time.

My martial training can be physically challenging and does contribute to cardio conditioning. At the ripe old age of 51 I suspect I am in much better physical shape than most at my age, but at the same time I am not the physical specimen I was at age 26 when I trained obsessively and had no family or parenting obligations and few outside interests to hinder it.

So really, just decide where your priorities are and spend your limited training time there.
This is also how I look at it. There was a time (20+ years ago) when finances and priorities allowed me to spend a lot of time training and exercising. Both have changed, and I haven’t spent the time I used to. And I’m okay with that, sort of. If finances improve, I’d love to get back to regular training in something physically demanding. But I am generally fit (current work helps), and keep my martial skills moderately honed with what I can do.

For me, with my priorities, that’s fine.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't advocate this as a fighting plan, but I could always take a beating longer than anyone could give one. My favorite thing to say once I heard their labored breathing was "Oh, you're tired now? Uh oh."

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I go to even more basic, question is can the person do a few round say on heavy bags without having to rest every two or three minutes? If they cannot last, they cannot really work to improve. One cannot just punch and kick a few times and has to sit and rest!!! One has to have a certain aerobic conditioning, not necessary run 5 miles non stop.

Yes, fights usually last very short time, but one has to have some minimum endurance in order to be able to train to get there.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
can the person do a few round say on heavy bags without having to rest every two or three minutes?
This is the test that I use to test on myself. Punching on heavy bag as fast as I can and also as powerful as I can as a mad man without stopping. By the number of the punches that I throw, I can tested how good my endurance is that day. If I remember, my best performance was about 80 punches.

Besides the heavy bag testing, I have drilled the following punch 1,000 times non-stop. It took me about 45 minutes.

IMO, the key point is "non-stop". I can train drill left and right non-stop. I just can't train form over and over non-stop. If I rest even for 5 seconds between my form training, that's not non-stop any more.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is the test that I use to test on myself. Punching on heavy bag as fast as I can and also as powerful as I can as a mad man without stopping. By the number of the punches that I throw, I can tested how good my endurance is that day. If I remember, my best performance was about 80 punches.

Besides the heavy bag testing, I have drilled the following punch 1,000 times non-stop. It took me about 45 minutes.

IMO, the key point is "non-stop". I can train drill left and right non-stop. I just can't train form over and over non-stop. If I rest even for 5 seconds between my form training, that's not non-stop any more.

Ha ha, like I said, you are an energizer bunny!!! Do you even get tired? All the running while punching and all that. I bet you can out last most of the young kids.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ha ha, like I said, you are an energizer bunny!!! Do you even get tired? All the running while punching and all that. I bet you can out last most of the young kids.
When I was young, I spent most of my time in school work. Working out was like resting to me.

After I have retired, I don't have to work 8 to 5. I don't have to take care of children. I have 24 hours everyday to do anything that I feel like to do.

- If I don't workout, I will feel lazy, guilty, boring, and tired.
- If I work out, I will feel energized, not guilty, fun, and great.

To me, working out is just like to recharge the battery.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I was young, I spent most of my time in school work. Working out was like resting to me.

After I have retired, I don't have to work 8 to 5. I don't have to take care of children. I have 24 hours everyday to do anything that I feel like to do.

- If I don't workout, I will feel lazy, guilty, boring, and tired.
- If I work out, I will feel energized, not guilty, fun, and great.

To me, working out is just like to recharge the battery.
Ha ha, speak for yourself. I have to drag myself to workout. Just the idea of I'd be in pain, weak, deteriorate if I don't workout, it's the less of two evil!!!

There's no free lunch when one gets old, you pay the piper one way or the other.

Ha ha, today is long weekend, I am not lifting a finger other than typing. I am NOT going to workout tomorrow either!!!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ha ha, today is long weekend, I am not lifting a finger other than typing. I am NOT going to workout tomorrow either!!!
If I don't go out of my front door, I feel one day in my life is wasted (my remaining days is less than yours).

I did this hike yesterday. I do treat hiking day is my resting day (non-MA day).

I'll do this hike after 1 hour today.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I don't go out of my front door, I feel one day in my life is wasted (my remaining days is less than yours).

I did this hike yesterday. I do treat hiking day is my resting day (non-MA day).

I'll do this hike after 1 hour today.

Ha ha, you are crazy!!!

For a moment, I was thinking about challenge you for sparring.....AFTER you run non stop for 5 miles and right away!!!............BUT then on second thoughts......Never mind!!! You might still be able to do it!!! 😂

Keep doing that. you might live to 100!!!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ha ha, you are crazy!!!

For a moment, I was thinking about challenge you for sparring.....AFTER you run non stop for 5 miles and right away!!!............BUT then on second thoughts......Never mind!!! You might still be able to do it!!! 😂

Keep doing that. you might live to 100!!!
Just got back from that trail walking. I only did 1 hour and 20 minutes. It's my resting day. Its not my workout day.

If you and I will meet someday, I don't mind to spar with you. But I will just play defense only. You can kick me, punch me, or take me down whatever that you may like. I'll just play defense.

Within 2 minutes, if you can land a punch on me, or land a kick on me (if I miss my block), or take me down, you win, otherwise I win. I won't even attack back. You test your offense skill. I test my defense skill. I'll call this "civilized sparring - You may hurt me, but I will never hurt you".

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just got back from that trail walking. I only did 1 hour and 20 minutes. It's my resting day. Its not my workout day.

If you and I will meet someday, I don't mind to spar with you. But I will just play defense only. You can kick me, punch me, or take me down whatever that you may like. I'll just play defense. If you punch me, kick me (if I miss my block), or take me down within 3 minutes, you win, otherwise I win. I won't even attack back. You test your offense skill. I test my defense skill. I'll call this "civilized sparring - You may hurt me, but I will never hurt you".
Ha ha, forget it, Not interested. I just joked about sparing when you are totally out of breath!!! Forget it, I am too old for that. Like I said, this is aerobics only for me. Just bare putting up with the exercise.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ha ha, forget it, Not interested. I just joked about sparing when you are totally out of breath!!! Forget it, I am too old for that. Like I said, this is aerobics only for me.
IMO, even old people can still spar with "1 person attack, 1 person defense". It's safe. As long as you can keep moving around with your footwork, 2 minutes is not very long.

I don't need to land a punch on my opponent to make me happy. If I can block a punck/kick, I'm happy.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IMO, even old people can still spar with "1 person attack, 1 person defense". It's safe. As long as you can keep moving around with your footwork, 2 minutes is not very long.

I don't need to land a punch on my opponent to make me happy. If I can block a punck/kick, I'm happy.
That's ok, I have enough of sparing in my days. I don't need to be babying. It's just it's pass my time. I don't even care. My self defense is stick fight, this is just aerobics for me. I still practice hard enough, but it's just exercise.

BTW, where do you live. You mentioned Austin. I am very familiar with Austin.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I live in West Lake Hills.

I am familiar with that area. I have properties in Cedar Park and Round Rock. Really nice area. If it's not for family, I'd move there in a heart beat. Then we can seriously talk about sparing......After you run 5 or 10 miles!!!!

I hate Kalif, particular the bay area where I live.

you should be happy, property price gone up over 3 times in the last 15 years. The area is the second silicon valley.

Last edited:

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
For being 67 my endurance is good. I like practicing my stick amaras and basic strikes while I slow jogging. Like a cadence. I certainly expend more energy than straight jogging. I’m not necessarily good runner btw, but this activity works very well for me. I also play singles tennis. Me and the miss’s walk our dog in the hills around our home. That’s usually good for about 3 miles.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions