How do you keep fighting fit?

B

BaktoBasics

Hi. I'm new to this forum and look forward to learning from many of you.

I have always beleived that physical conditioning is a vital part of martial arts, so, how do you keep fighting fit?

Do you do weights and cardio, how do you split them, what exercises do you do? I do 2 days weights, 3 days cardio.

Cheers

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well physical conditioning, IMHO, is half of the martial arts. There are many aspects per mental/attitude as well.

I know a instructor in a wheel chair who continues to teach.

There is much more from martial arts then just fighting.

OP
B

BaktoBasics

47MartialMan said:
There is much more from martial arts then just fighting.
Okay, what?

What is more important in martial art than being fighting fit?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardio is definately an important aspect of the arts. As for the various ways to keep in shape. I have weights setup at my condo. I'll wouk out 3 times a week, splitting the body parts up as follows: Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Shoulders/Legs. I usually alternate each week between light weight/more reps, heavy weight/less reps.

As for the cardio: I'm currently in the process of purchasing a treadmill for my home use. Until I purchase that, I will walk at a good pace around my complex. The loop is a 1/2 mile, so I'll take my dog with me, and walk the loop a minimum of 2-3 times. I do this through out the day, so it adds up quick. I'll also jog up and down stairs a few times.

I hope this answered your question. Please feel free to ask more questions if you have them! :ultracool

Mike

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that I do anything to specifically be "fightin fit" since I don't study for sport applications, but I do a lot of "extra curricular" exercise, mainly for myself, I run, swim, do body weight exercises, and hike...

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BaktoBasics said:
Okay, what?

What is more important in martial art than being fighting fit?
Learning the mentality of:

COURTESY / INTEGRITY / PERSEVERANCE /
INDOMITABLE SPIRIT / SELF CONTROL /
MENTAL INTELLECT / FOCUS / ATTITUDE DISCIPLINE / RESPECT
REWARD-RECOGNITION

Without these aspects, then your just doing another exercise routine.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:

REWARD-RECOGNITION

Well said:asian:

OP
J

Jaymeister

47MartialMan said:

REWARD-RECOGNITION

Exactly. I feel sorry for anyone who fails to see this, they're missing out on a lot.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:

REWARD-RECOGNITION

I could not have said it better than this very well put.:asian:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train in my different arts in one way or another 6 days per week. By doing forms, basics, sparring, etc. I also do resistance training 3 days per week. Cardio three days per week. Yoga on Saturdays. I also have a very strenuous job that helps keep me active during the day.

My weight training split is total body on Tu,Th,Sa with a heavy focus on legs once per week. My dietary also helps me stay in good condition.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm probably different than most, I dont do much weight training. I do 3 sets of curls, 3 sets of bench 3 times a week, thats all the weights I do. However, I do alot of body weight training, pushups, pullups, dips, jump rope, running, bleachers, bag work, etc. My routine is eplosive sets of these in a circuit style workout. I do several hours of high intensity bag work with jump rope as the rest between rounds. I run at least 2 miles a day 6 days a week, and I fight at least 45 minutes a day if possible. I see fitness, endurance, and stamina as a huge part of martial arts and fighting as well as realistic self defense. Therefore I train alot of cardio in with my fighting. I do train forms and drills as well, but I dont consider those part of my "weight routine".

Learning courtesy, integrity and such are very important, but I consider those side effects of MA, I train for fighting plain and simple. There is no physical training to do for integrity and such, those are mental things which are a whole different part of training. I do however do horse stance which is very mental and physical.

7sm

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I do one weight day a week--usually try to do compound exercises (bench, squat, deadlift, pull ups).
I do 1-2 cardio days a week, and it's a mix of different things. Bagwork, jump rope, etc.
And I try and get in 3 classes a week minimum. Which most people would consider cardio as well.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being fit is just one aspect of martial arts as MartialMan said. But there are new people in the program that haven't become quite "fit" yet. It is a journey, a journey that ends with death I suppose or if you quit teaching or expanding yourself.

My original answer to this was hey, I go to class!!! But I also go on off days to the dojang and lead kickboxing, do TotalGym at home, and do Yoga three times a week. Besides that there is bicycling, swimming etc. on the weekends. Just this weekend I way overworked on Po Eun form and my shoulders and upper arms are still in shock.

But then again, martial arts are much more than physical. TW

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
Martial artists need to train differently from competitors and sportsman. The reason for this is because our training is not for specific events. A sportsperson knows when their next event or competition is, but a martial artist does not know when they are going to have to use their skills.

The only exception to this is millitary personel who will increase their fitness to arrive at a peak just before they head out on a preplanned operation or campaign.

As far as what exercises are best to use I prefer not to use weights. In the past I used to concentrate on them for my fitness. The problem is that most weight lifting exercises isolate one or two muscle groups and then try to work them out of sync with the reast of the body. Obviously some exercises work more muscle groups, but overall they do have a tendancy to make your movements less fluid. Also the activity of working out in a gym, with the inevitable glance in the mirror to check how you are looking only increases the amount of pride you feel. This emotion can also cause tension to form in the body. Just take a look at the number of guys in the gym carrying a roll of carpet under each arm or those who stick their chests out like pidgeons. (By the way I have been there and owned my own rolls of carpet and a chest that a champion pidgeon would be envious of).

I prefer to use body weight and exercises that use training partners for resistance. Systema is full of these exercises and I have a number of articles on them on my website. I have found that using these exercises along with correct breathing has allowed me to identify the build up of tension in my body and do something about getting rid of it.

If relaxed we use far less energy than if we are tense. Try tiring yourself out before you spar. If really tired your movements will have to become more relaxed and efficient. If you are still tense try tiring yourself out some more. The body quickley gets the idea.

Training in a manner that allows us to maintain a reserve is not only important because it educates the body to work under stress in a relaxed manner using the minimum amount of tension to get the job done it also allows us to hold something back in case of real danger. After all what good is training so hard that when you leave the gym you cannot lift an arm to deal with your attacker?

Like most things in life fitness training in martial arts is a balancing act.

Paul Genge
http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for those who like my "other benefits list" from martial arts.

Quite frankly, these are some of the "tenets/principals and/or "developmental concepts" displayed in my school and instilled into me, thus into my students,per even documentation, such as written submittions for testing, that I have.

I am sure, I cannot receive this as my own and credit many martial art instructors/schools whom teach almost exactly the same.

I bow to those :asian:

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I work on my techniques quite a lot, some cardiovascular work, abs training. I like to do a lot of walking, stretching, shadow boxing and such.
But i do train 2-3 times a week!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1. Cardio (usually running) 3-5 days a week.
2. Weight lifting. Not heavy, but varying the muscle groups to isolate and tone them. I don't want the "Arnold" look, but definition and strength.
3. Bag practice. I generally do back side kick, sliding side kick, and middle/high roundhouse. My bag practice was disrupted by the fact that I kicked the bag off the chain (again!). The staff at the YMCA just loves me.
4. Stretching. It is very important to stretch regularly, because flexibility minimizes the danger of strains and pulls. It also allows your muscles to react quicker.
5. Either some kicking drills or forms practice, depending on what I'm in the mood for.
6. Not wanting to look like your typical overweight, out of shape citizen. Also, I like the energy that exercise and MA practice gives you.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:

REWARD-RECOGNITION

:asian:

Latest Discussions