Gassing out in a fight... Why?

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You should display better manners, especially with no practical experience in a subject. But, back to the question at hand, cardio and hills.

A Stair master and a hill are no more the same than hitting a bag and fighting a skilled opponent.

The handles on a stair master are different than the handles of a hill. (yes, that's meant as humorous sarcasm)

The stair master is a constant distance/angle of footstep distance and pace, a hill is not. Yes, you can adjust the pace of a stair master, but you can't on a hill. Your legs will do that for you. But only in one direction - slower.

Hills are just plain nasty, stair masters are, at the very least....cute?

Hills aren't smooth, some less smooth than others.

You can eat a sandwich while stepping on a stair master. When sprinting on a hill you tend to get mayonnaise on your mustache.

Real easy way to find out, though. Go find a hill.

As for gassing out during a fight, it can be frightening. Especially if/when your opponent realizes you're gassing. Getting hit while fighting sometimes interrupts your normal breathing cycle. There's an old saying in the fight game "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."

You can gas out even when you're in shape. Sometimes lack of sleep causes it, sometimes it's just a bad day. Sometimes it's stress.
A lot of times, a real lot - is your training camp leading up to the fight let you peak too early. You want to be nearing the top of the upswing towards your peak, not having already reached it.

I had a ski slope two miles from where I lived. Spring, summer and fall, I'd sprint up that hill. At the time I could fall asleep on a stair master, that's how boring those damn things are. Never fell asleep sprinting up that hill. Wanted to die a few times, but never fell asleep.

Now, go get that hill, bro!

There are no "hills" where I live in a LITERAL sense, but a road close to him has an upward slope. It's a bridge, where the bottom people are driving their cars into it. So that counts right? It's pavement instead of soil in literal hills. I'm probably asking a stupid question but what harm in asking? lol.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
I brought it up because HE might care. I honestly don't. If I end up being fifty years old, I can still compete in weightlifting or powerlifting in the MASTER'S division. Boxing has the same thing, right? And even without it, amateurs are just amateurs in the amateur leagues.

True strength is more than muscles and fighting. But whatever.

I'm still creating my video so look forward to it. I'll show you all the right way to become a champion. And guess what? It takes strength and athleticism, NOT cheap tricks. If you become another skilled martial artist, you'll end up becoming just another one of those skinny Diaz brothers.

Brock Lesnar, Matt Hughes, and prime Vitor Belfort are where it's at.
Only video I want to watch is you in the ring sparring not listening to more of your arrogant bs. Either Diaz would kick the hell out of you while literally laughing in your face about it

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are no "hills" where I live in a LITERAL sense, but a road close to him has an upward slope. It's a bridge, where the bottom people are driving their cars into it. So that counts right? It's pavement instead of soil in literal hills. I'm probably asking a stupid question but what harm in asking? lol.
lol Vitor Belfort in 2017 off steroids. Because that’s all Vitor Belfort is....steroids and even then couldn’t win a title
D90A8755-C744-4F75-A138-143853E06662.jpeg

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Only video I want to watch is you in the ring sparring not listening to more of your arrogant bs. Either Diaz would kick the hell out of you while literally laughing in your face about it

If the Joker beats Batman, it doesn't mean the Joker is a better fighter. It just means his tricks worked. And that's all what the Diaz brothers are. Soyboy tricksters.

You wanna be a quintessential soyboy, fine. That's all up to you. Just remember that I and my fellow buff friends will be getting all the attention in the summer among the ladies.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
If the Joker beats Batman, it doesn't mean the Joker is a better fighter. It just means his tricks worked. And that's all what the Diaz brothers are. Soyboy tricksters.

You wanna be a quintessential soyboy, fine. That's all up to you. Just remember that I and my fellow buff friends will be getting all the attention in the summer among the ladies.
HAHAHA now you’re using Batman as an example this is just hilarious

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm younger and healthier than you and there's nothing you can do to change that.

Here’s how the second act starts in the screenplay in my head -

While waiting for the pandemic to end, and after being in constant contact online with the boxing gym he’s joining, young Brian finally walks into the boxing gym.

Someone by the door points him to a man who’s back is to us and tells him “There’s your trainer”

Young Brian excitedly approaches him...

lklawson turns around with a wicked smile.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here’s how the second act starts in the screenplay in my head -

While waiting for the pandemic to end, and after being in constant contact online with the boxing gym he’s joining, young Brian finally walks into the boxing gym.

Someone by the door points him to a man who’s back is to us and tells him “There’s your trainer”

Young Brian excitedly approaches him...

lklawson turns around with a wicked smile.

Buka don't scare me like that.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes mate a road that slopes upwards will do as a substitute hill, ???

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Buka don't scare me like that.

That was a good line. A sense of humor is definitely in order.

You know, Brian, if you're going to take Martial Arts as seriously as you take weight training, and I hope you do, this forum can be an incredible asset.

What you have here is a pretty amazing cross section of people from all sorts of Martial backgrounds, all sorts of professional backgrounds, all sorts of real world backgrounds. And they're all willing to share.

When I first started here I had already been training full time Martial Arts, and competitive fighting, for decades. And I've learned SO much from people on this forum. Truth be told, I can't thank them enough.

Heck, they'd probably even help you find a hill. :)

Use it as a resource. Or not, I guess.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why? Because some ancient Korean master did it? And because this Korean master did it instead of a MODERN, STATE OF THE ART equipment, it's BETTER?

Sheesh. You wannabe Bruce Lees are all the same.

Get real dude, cardio is cardio and lifting weights builds striking power.

Now, elaborate instead of trying to seem cryptic and mysterious, ninja man.
There's nothing cryptic and mysterious about what I'm saying. They aren't the same. You don't have to take my word on it. Go find a hill run up it. Go find some stairs, run up that. You can see for yourself.

The reason you don't know the difference is because you don't run hills and you don't run up stairs. If you did, then you wouldn't have to ask the question about them.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I brought it up because HE might care. I honestly don't. If I end up being fifty years old, I can still compete in weightlifting or powerlifting in the MASTER'S division. Boxing has the same thing, right? And even without it, amateurs are just amateurs in the amateur leagues.

True strength is more than muscles and fighting. But whatever.

I'm still creating my video so look forward to it. I'll show you all the right way to become a champion. And guess what? It takes strength and athleticism, NOT cheap tricks. If you become another skilled martial artist, you'll end up becoming just another one of those skinny Diaz brothers.

Brock Lesnar, Matt Hughes, and prime Vitor Belfort are where it's at.
On the edge of my seat.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gassing out in a fight... Why?
If you want to train 5 rounds fighting, you should train 15 rounds fighting daily.

One way to examine your endurance is to see how many reps that you can do with single technique.

- Run 5 miles every other day can be a good training for general endurance.
- Try jab, cross, hook, uppercut combo 1000 times non-stop can be a good training for boxing endurance.
- Try hip throw solo drill 250 times non-stop can be a good training for wrestling endurance.

Lin-hip-throw-solo.gif

Last edited:

Latest Discussions