Gassing out in a fight... Why?

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Hi friends. Firstly, from my last thread, I did mention my next response will be a YouTube video instead of a post. I'm still holding on to that promise, no worries. I'm literally working on that video RIGHT NOW. Tons of editing. But anyway, onto the topic...

I vaguely recall reading an article in expertboxing dot com that tackled the issue of fighting endurance. I expected to of course read about cardio, and I did read about cardio. He mentioned cardio... But I also remember in that reading session that he mentioned two things. "Cardio" and "leg endurance". I was like what? What the heck's the difference? And then I remember also reading about shoulder endurance.

When most fighters, especially boxers as boxing is what I wanna get into, gas out and get tired, is it usually the cause of fatigued leg muscles? Or is it more of an issue with their cardiovascular system failing them?

I read somewhere that pure aerobic training will improve your ability to last in the long run, making you recover better in-between rounds. They mentioned about some sort of "base" cardio in which you fill up with anaerobic endurance. And then, of course, anaerobic endurance will make you better able to explode at opportune times, longer. So then, what is the cause of fighters (boxers especially) losing stamina? Lack of leg endurance? Lack of cardio fitness?

I'm thinking IF the issue here is mere leg endurance, what's stopping me and others from completely abandoning those "pure" cardio regimens and just doing high reps with squats and deadlifts as long as we maintain good form throughout?

Thanks friends.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on your boxing guard. Back when I boxed with the normal, average boxing guard, I found my shoulders fatiguing real fast. It's why boxers usually have huge shoulder muscles - a round of boxing consists of 3 minutes of constantly extending and contracting your arms while you make sure not to put them down. To put it into perspective, imagine holding your arms straight up towards the ceiling for 12, 3 minute rounds.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm thinking IF the issue here is mere leg endurance, what's stopping me and others from completely abandoning those "pure" cardio regimens and just doing high reps with squats and deadlifts as long as we maintain good form throughout?

Because your arms will get tired.

Cos. You know. Punching?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyway. Go do some hill sprints. And tell me if your cardio makes you quit or your legs do.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anyway. Go do some hill sprints. And tell me if your cardio makes you quit or your legs do.

I don't do hill sprints but I use the stairmaster. Shouldn't it be the same? It imitates going up the stairs the same way treadmills imitate running. Should it count? And for the stairmaster (or stepmill, whatever you wanna call it), I feel like it's 60% cardio and 40% leg muscles. I could be wrong but that's kinda how I feel with it.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's not the same

Why? Because some ancient Korean master did it? And because this Korean master did it instead of a MODERN, STATE OF THE ART equipment, it's BETTER?

Sheesh. You wannabe Bruce Lees are all the same.

Get real dude, cardio is cardio and lifting weights builds striking power.

Now, elaborate instead of trying to seem cryptic and mysterious, ninja man.

D

Deleted member 39746

I can do i think 30 minutes of boxing related exercise and feel tired etc at the end of it (thats a mixture of S&C and pad work) My rear leg calf gave out before the end of the pad doing, that was before i was too exausted to do anything.

Gassing out is just general fatigue from fighting, normally mainy cardio based.

I dont think i have had arm fatigue doing boxing exercises. Probbly down to my obession with only doing weight related things when i exercise.

Why? Because some ancient Korean master did it? And because this Korean master did it instead of a MODERN, STATE OF THE ART equipment, it's BETTER?

Resistance is diffrent,along with the general exercise. A hill is a grdual curve a stair master is a seqence of steps/ledges. Walking up stairs and walking up a grual curve are diffrent. the resistance between equipment and ground is also diffrent, earth has some give, you dont need to be as precise with your feet as you arent constrained on a treadmill.

And for a example, the royal navy gives you field running as part of its exercise suggestions, but they also advise you to run on a treadmill as its diffrent and their test is running on one. And pretty much everyone going into it/in it will tell you the same.

I wouldnt say either is "better" just diffrent. And i mean if its a white out, going to a gym is your only viable option anyway.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hi friends. Firstly, from my last thread, I did mention my next response will be a YouTube video instead of a post. I'm still holding on to that promise, no worries. I'm literally working on that video RIGHT NOW. Tons of editing. But anyway, onto the topic...

I vaguely recall reading an article in expertboxing dot com that tackled the issue of fighting endurance. I expected to of course read about cardio, and I did read about cardio. He mentioned cardio... But I also remember in that reading session that he mentioned two things. "Cardio" and "leg endurance". I was like what? What the heck's the difference? And then I remember also reading about shoulder endurance.

When most fighters, especially boxers as boxing is what I wanna get into, gas out and get tired, is it usually the cause of fatigued leg muscles? Or is it more of an issue with their cardiovascular system failing them?

I read somewhere that pure aerobic training will improve your ability to last in the long run, making you recover better in-between rounds. They mentioned about some sort of "base" cardio in which you fill up with anaerobic endurance. And then, of course, anaerobic endurance will make you better able to explode at opportune times, longer. So then, what is the cause of fighters (boxers especially) losing stamina? Lack of leg endurance? Lack of cardio fitness?

Thanks friends.
Who cares? You're not going to actually pay attention to what anyone here tells you. Go find a gym and actually train instead of off-gassing on the internet. If you do, you'll learn all you need about endurance for boxing.

But we all know you won't and you and I both know why you wont.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thanks friends.
the term cardio confuses matrers

you have aerobic fitness and you have anaerobic fitness, both require vlood flow, aerobic requires blood with a high oxigen content

they both also require glucos, either and prearably stored in the muscle or or beibg supplied by the liver

generally when peopke gass out, a term i dont think has any scientific defintion abs there fore can mean absolutly anything, it your body running ouut of glucose or rather using it faster than you can produce it, as which point the body cuts of the glucos suppy to the brain to suppky the muscles and you go all wobbly and weak

in running its xalled hitting the wall, cycling has another name for it which i forget

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score

Maybe you should go do some training and learn yourself instead of trying to talk like a tough guy on the internet with your 0 experience of martial arts

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thanks friends.
as to your question on trainibg yes is sort of the answer

your training need to elivate the breathing to make the absorbtion of oxgent more efficient

but building glucose starage and production requires you to burn all the glucose out of your system, which is when you start to exsperiance latic acid burn and then keep going and going and going, so at the lighter weight and higher rep range.

but clearly you have to do that with the muscles your going to use in boxing, dead lift or squats arnt going to do your calf muscles or hamstrings at all +were running or jumping does

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who cares? You're not going to actually pay attention to what anyone here tells you. Go find a gym and actually train instead of off-gassing on the internet. If you do, you'll learn all you need about endurance for boxing.

Better yet, he ought to go work on that three-year project we were promised. I expect radio silence for at least three years while he puts in the work to prove us wrong.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I'm younger and healthier than you and there's nothing you can do to change that.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm younger and healthier than you and there's nothing you can do to change that.
Lol so what? Maybe you are younger but how do you know you’re healthier? You have access to his health records do you? And the fact is, he’s an experienced martial artists so this older man.... he’d put you on the floor....maybe you’d win a weight lifting competition though

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lol so what? Maybe you are younger but how do you know you’re healthier? You have access to his health records do you? And the fact is, he’s an experienced martial artists so this older man.... he’d put you on the floor....maybe you’d win a weight lifting competition though

Honestly dude I don't care. He can be young or old, weak or strong, skilled or unskilled. I just don't like the fact that he targets every post of mine and clicks dislike or disagree.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Honestly dude I don't care. He can be young or old, weak or strong, skilled or unskilled. I just don't like the fact that he targets every post of mine and clicks dislike or disagree.
If he disagrees with it it’s his right to click disageee that’s what it’s for and he’s engaging in the discussion thread...as far as I see that’s not against any rules and you are not helping yourself by responding by saying “oh well I’m younger and healthier”I mean...okay maybe you are but so what? What’s your point? You posted your opinions he posted his in response. That’s how discussions work right?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly dude I don't care. He can be young or old, weak or strong, skilled or unskilled.
Except that you do care. You brought it up, after all.

I just don't like the fact that he targets every post of mine and clicks dislike or disagree.

Then get off the forums. This is how it works. If you don’t like it, don’t come back.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You should display better manners, especially with no practical experience in a subject. But, back to the question at hand, cardio and hills.

A Stair master and a hill are no more the same than hitting a bag and fighting a skilled opponent.

The handles on a stair master are different than the handles of a hill. (yes, that's meant as humorous sarcasm)

The stair master is a constant distance/angle of footstep distance and pace, a hill is not. Yes, you can adjust the pace of a stair master, but you can't on a hill. Your legs will do that for you. But only in one direction - slower.

Hills are just plain nasty, stair masters are, at the very least....cute?

Hills aren't smooth, some less smooth than others.

You can eat a sandwich while stepping on a stair master. When sprinting on a hill you tend to get mayonnaise on your mustache.

Real easy way to find out, though. Go find a hill.

As for gassing out during a fight, it can be frightening. Especially if/when your opponent realizes you're gassing. Getting hit while fighting sometimes interrupts your normal breathing cycle. There's an old saying in the fight game "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."

You can gas out even when you're in shape. Sometimes lack of sleep causes it, sometimes it's just a bad day. Sometimes it's stress.
A lot of times, a real lot - is your training camp leading up to the fight let you peak too early. You want to be nearing the top of the upswing towards your peak, not having already reached it.

I had a ski slope two miles from where I lived. Spring, summer and fall, I'd sprint up that hill. At the time I could fall asleep on a stair master, that's how boring those damn things are. Never fell asleep sprinting up that hill. Wanted to die a few times, but never fell asleep.

Now, go get that hill, bro!

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Except that you do care. You brought it up, after all.

I brought it up because HE might care. I honestly don't. If I end up being fifty years old, I can still compete in weightlifting or powerlifting in the MASTER'S division. Boxing has the same thing, right? And even without it, amateurs are just amateurs in the amateur leagues.

True strength is more than muscles and fighting. But whatever.

I'm still creating my video so look forward to it. I'll show you all the right way to become a champion. And guess what? It takes strength and athleticism, NOT cheap tricks. If you become another skilled martial artist, you'll end up becoming just another one of those skinny Diaz brothers.

Brock Lesnar, Matt Hughes, and prime Vitor Belfort are where it's at.

Latest Discussions