Do you fear "gassing out" in a fight? How is your fitness?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like practicing my stick amaras and basic strikes while I slow jogging.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do right now. I always feel guilty when I run (as if I should spend that time for MA training). But when I run with jab-jab-cross, or hook-hook-uppercut, I will feel less quilty. If I also add in front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, ... into my running, I won't even feel guilty at all. It's always a good idea to be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

My Chinese wrestling teacher told me it's bad idea to run for my wrestling ability (raise up my gravity center). Since I no longer compete in wrestling tournament, I don't care about that restriction any more.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go to even more basic, question is can the person do a few round say on heavy bags without having to rest every two or three minutes? If they cannot last, they cannot really work to improve. One cannot just punch and kick a few times and has to sit and rest!!! One has to have a certain aerobic conditioning, not necessary run 5 miles non stop.

Yes, fights usually last very short time, but one has to have some minimum endurance in order to be able to train to get there.
When you say working the bag without resting every 2-3 minutes - at what intensity? My favorite bag workout was 10 1-minute rounds, keeping the intensity such that I was nearly spent at the bd of the arch round after the second or third. I could, of course, train much longer without a break at lower intensity. I haven’t had a student yet who couldn’t go 5 minutes at low intensity in their first few classes without gassing (though some didn’t have the arm stamina for it).

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm trying to do right now. I always feel guilty when I run (as if I should spend that time for MA training). But when I run with jab-jab-cross, or hook-hook-uppercut, I will feel less quilty. If I also add in front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, ... into my running, I won't even feel guilty at all. It's always a good idea to be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

My Chinese wrestling teacher told me it's bad idea to run for my wrestling ability (raise up my gravity center). Since I no longer compete in wrestling tournament, I don't care about that restriction any more.
Not sure about the guilty aspect. I wasn’t in the military, but they use cadence. Instead of calling out cadence, I use my sticks, single stick open hand or simply open hand. The idea of cadence creates rhythm, promotes deep breathing, increases oxygen efficiency and increases endurance. The are other aspects of cadence the support the military mindset.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When you say working the bag without resting every 2-3 minutes - at what intensity? My favorite bag workout was 10 1-minute rounds, keeping the intensity such that I was nearly spent at the bd of the arch round after the second or third. I could, of course, train much longer without a break at lower intensity. I haven’t had a student yet who couldn’t go 5 minutes at low intensity in their first few classes without gassing (though some didn’t have the arm stamina for it).
Oh, I am just saying as an example. I myself do 8 minutes rounds, moderate intensity only. I don't push it. I have to watch out my back by not getting wild. I kept the intensity low by doing combination of a few punching and kicking as a set, with a second or two(or three) in between. :)

I am just doing all around exercise, half aerobics and half weight. The aerobic is divided into half stick fight and half bare knuckles. So far, I put in like 7 hours a week, but I am planning to cut to 6 soon. Been doing that for a year and half already.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is why jab-cross-hook-hook, or hook-hook-uppercut-uppercut as 1, 2, 3, 4 are good combos to drill during running.
You no fun to talk to!!! We old foggies talk about aches and pain, you talk about how many miles you run with punching!!! 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

I won't even spar with you if you run and punch for 10 miles and do it right away!!! What if you still have gas in your tank?!!!! 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
can the person do a few round say on heavy bags without having to rest every two or three minutes?
What do you mean "few round"? What's your heavy bag workout content?

Here is mine. For each of these 8 sections, I don't stop during each section.

1. 40 palm strikes.
2. 120 forearm strikes (3 stars).
3. 200 punches.
4. 40 front toes kicks.
5. 40 front heel kicks.
6. 40 roundhouse kicks.
7. 40 side kicks.
8. 40 inside crescent kicks.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What do you mean "few round"? What's your heavy bag workout content?

Here is mine. For each of these 8 sections, I don't stop during each section.

1. 40 palm strikes.
2. 120 forearm strikes (3 stars).
3. 200 punches.
4. 40 front toes kicks.
5. 40 front heel kicks.
6. 40 roundhouse kicks.
7. 40 side kicks.
8. 40 inside crescent kicks.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Breaking wind (‘gassing out’) is perfectly natural and indeed can be an effective method of subduing an attacker when head-locking between ones legs.

Excessive gassing-out, however, can be an indication of abnormal flow of Ki or an over-fondness for spicy foods.😐

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My GM is fond of saying, “I don’t teach you this stuff so you can stay and fight it out to the death. I teach you this stuff so you can make yourself enough time and space to run away. And oh by the way, while you are running, yell your head off. But don’t yell “help”. Yell “fire”. People are a whole lot more interested in seeing a fire than in running to see why someone needs help.”

That, and my pepper spray, are my plan in a street fight. I’m 5’5” and 110 lbs soaking wet with a full belly. I ain’t trying to out-endure my attacker.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are different paths to victory. If your technique is truly superior, I understand you can win without much physical effort. And you can win quickly. No argument from me on that, for sure! People when in physical confrontations, through superior technique all the time, even though their opponent is much bigger and stronger and more fit than them.
I don't know if my technique is superior to anyone else's or not. If someone puts a hand on me, I guess we'll find out.
However if you struggle to take control, or take out someone quickly, how is your physical fitness? Do you consider being physically fit in a very important part of your overall martial arts ability?
Fitness is important. Mine is not what it should be.

Do you fear that your physical fitness is not where it should be, and that if the fight becomes a prolonged conflict, you will be in big trouble?
If a fight becomes prolonged, I am definitely in big trouble, fit or not.

Do you think physical fitness is an extremely important aspect to being prepared overall as a martial artist?

Prepared for what? Tournaments? Dojo competition? Training? Self-defense?

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if my technique is superior to anyone else's or not. If someone puts a hand on me, I guess we'll find out.

Fitness is important. Mine is not what it should be.

If a fight becomes prolonged, I am definitely in big trouble, fit or not.

Prepared for what? Tournaments? Dojo competition? Training? Self-defense?
Great answers. Typically I'm talking about self-defense.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My GM is fond of saying, “I don’t teach you this stuff so you can stay and fight it out to the death. I teach you this stuff so you can make yourself enough time and space to run away. And oh by the way, while you are running, yell your head off. But don’t yell “help”. Yell “fire”. People are a whole lot more interested in seeing a fire than in running to see why someone needs help.”

That, and my pepper spray, are my plan in a street fight. I’m 5’5” and 110 lbs soaking wet with a full belly. I ain’t trying to out-endure my attacker.
I’m not a fan of making running the primary objective. That assumes you can outrun the danger in the first steps, and stay ahead of it. That means running - both sprints and intermediate distance - has to be part of your training.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Follow up questions.
I’m not a fan of making running the primary objective. That assumes you can outrun the danger in the first steps, and stay ahead of it. That means running - both sprints and intermediate distance - has to be part of your training.
I totally agree. Also sprinting, then fighting after a sprint in your training. Sprinting then grappling is a common police academy activity, to simulate having to defend yourself after a short foot chase. It's a lot different experience fighting after a sprint.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't advocate this as a fighting plan, but I could always take a beating longer than anyone could give one. My favorite thing to say once I heard their labored breathing was "Oh, you're tired now? Uh oh."

This is one of the worse feelings, to beat the crap out of someone and they keep coming for more....and I'm just waiting for the bell to ring. I have a current fighter who's at 280ish, also a strongman competitor, wrestler; serious athlete. He's Blue in BJJ but tapping out Black belts at around 50/50.

In striking, I can't put him down; he keeps coming. And his cardio is better than everyone in the room (and we have good cardio).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is one of the worse feelings, to beat the crap out of someone and they keep coming for more....and I'm just waiting for the bell to ring. I have a current fighter who's at 280ish, also a strongman competitor, wrestler; serious athlete. He's Blue in BJJ but tapping out Black belts at around 50/50.

In striking, I can't put him down; he keeps coming. And his cardio is better than everyone in the room (and we have good cardio).
By far, the best cardio I've experienced was from wrestlers. I'm talking about the ground game, they just don't get tired, at least the ones I've encountered.

In stand up, at least stand up where you're allowed to hit, I've found it different. Good shots can really screw up the breathing patterns of anyone, even wrestlers. (Thank, God) But then, that's not really their game.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
By far, the best cardio I've experienced was from wrestlers. I'm talking about the ground game, they just don't get tired, at least the ones I've encountered.

In stand up, at least stand up where you're allowed to hit, I've found it different. Good shots can really screw up the breathing patterns of anyone, even wrestlers. (Thank, God) But then, that's not really their game.

I can't hurt his body, believe me I've tried; maybe w/spinning back kicks but they're risky as I'll get TD'ed if missed. He looks fat, but is built like a tank. Headshots are my best bet. I'm training him for a fight; been putting him through twenty straight, 1min rounds w/no breaks vs. a rotation of 5-7 others just waiting while rested. I've never seen cardio on a big guy like this.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ha ha, speak for yourself. I have to drag myself to workout. Just the idea of I'd be in pain, weak, deteriorate if I don't workout, it's the less of two evil!!!

There's no free lunch when one gets old, you pay the piper one way or the other.

Ha ha, today is long weekend, I am not lifting a finger other than typing. I am NOT going to workout tomorrow either!!!
Is important to take breaks from workouts as well. The body needs time to repair.

Latest Discussions