Do you compete when not ready?

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our school hosts it's annual competition tonight and tomorrow. We are expecting around 2,000 people the rumor goes. Definitely, people arrived from Wales last night. And some may be coming from Spain as well.

Last year, I competed in forms, board-breaking and sparring. I have to say it was worthwhile for the personal growth. For me, it took a lot of courage.

This year I'm only doing sparring. I don't feel comfortable with Pyung Ahn O Dan as I've only been doing it for about 5 weeks. I could have done Chil-Sung E Ro Hyung but need work on the breathing/energy press - not quite sure what I'm doing there.

There is a lot of pressure for us to participate in all categories. I was told a good martial artist participates in all categories. Well, I don't feel comfortable competing in all categories this year. I'd rather not compete than do a poor job.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my experience, anytime someone says "A good martial artist does _____." or even more broad "A Good ______ does _________." it is usually not reliable. Broad, sweeping generalizations like that are usually pretty unreliable.

Personal opinion, if you're not ready, don't compete. There is, of course, a line. It doesn't hurt to try, it doesn't hurt to go up there and not do well, it is always a good experience, but if you are sincerely not ready and don't feel comfortable, no one can make you, and it doesn't make you any less of a martial artist or a person. Most people do what they're good at and that's ok.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In my experience, anytime someone says "A good martial artist does _____." or even more broad "A Good ______ does _________." it is usually not reliable. Broad, sweeping generalizations like that are usually pretty unreliable.

Personal opinion, if you're not ready, don't compete. There is, of course, a line. It doesn't hurt to try, it doesn't hurt to go up there and not do well, it is always a good experience, but if you are sincerely not ready and don't feel comfortable, no one can make you, and it doesn't make you any less of a martial artist or a person. Most people do what they're good at and that's ok.
There is a bit of pressure and I think I'm feeling guilty!

I made the right decision to not compete in forms. I still have to think about the moves in my form and need some work on my balance. I must say the Pyung Ahn forms are really helping me with balance (amazing).

I could have competed in board-breaking but it would have been without the benefit of practice. I'm not so sure I can do some of the breaks I want to do.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of the "words of wisdom" that came my way was, "It's frowned upon if you don't do a form." That was from one of my seniors. Oh well. Next time!

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lol, I've only done 1 competition, and the only thing I did do was forms. I realize I should've sparred, but I just didn't feel ready. My sparring has always been an extreme weak point for me.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many of the very best martial artists have kept a lifelong low profile and have never competed in tournaments of any kind, ever.

Sometimes there can be pressure from your school to compete. Not everyone likes to compete, or has an interest in competing.

Personally, I think it ought to be the choice of the student, but the school ought to be able to encourage it as well. It's unfortunate when the encouragement crosses the line and becomes pressure on students, or they even start twisting their arms or coercing them somehow to get them to compete. It just ain't for everyone, and it often represents a financial obligation as well.

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Mbuzzy.

Really, for personal growth, you need to do some soul searching and identify why you REALLY didn't want to compete in those categories.

Was it because you didn't feel prepared or was it because you were afraid to do poorly?

Personally, I doubt this tournament sprang up on you. You should have had plenty of time to prepare for whatever category you wanted to compete in. The question then is, why didn't you properly prepare? If you're reasons are valid and your lack of desire to compete was based mostly on your lack of preparation, let the nay sayers talk themselves silly.

If you slacked off of preparing because you were afraid of competing, you need to confront that.

Bottom line, if you don't want to compete, don't. But know why.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many of the very best martial artists have kept a lifelong low profile and have never competed in tournaments of any kind, ever.

Sometimes there can be pressure from your school to compete. Not everyone likes to compete, or has an interest in competing.

Personally, I think it ought to be the choice of the student, but the school ought to be able to encourage it as well. It's unfortunate when the encouragement crosses the line and becomes pressure on students, or they even start twisting their arms or coercing them somehow to get them to compete. It just ain't for everyone, and it often represents a financial obligation as well.
Our school is very competitive. My first competition was a very valuable experience and I think it's good for everyone to compete at least once. However, I am not that into competing. I would prefer to quietly learn my art and contribute to the school by teaching some day.

In order for us to get our black belts, we will have to travel to Massachusetts and attend a summer camp hosted by our Grandmaster. I don't know how I'm going to be able to afford it.

Yes, there is pressure to compete. Our association doesn't want you unless you are active via competing. That just happens to be the philosophy.

Last edited:
OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with Mbuzzy.

Really, for personal growth, you need to do some soul searching and identify why you REALLY didn't want to compete in those categories.

Was it because you didn't feel prepared or was it because you were afraid to do poorly?

Personally, I doubt this tournament sprang up on you. You should have had plenty of time to prepare for whatever category you wanted to compete in. The question then is, why didn't you properly prepare? If you're reasons are valid and your lack of desire to compete was based mostly on your lack of preparation, let the nay sayers talk themselves silly.

If you slacked off of preparing because you were afraid of competing, you need to confront that.

Bottom line, if you don't want to compete, don't. But know why.
Oh, yes, you are right. We certainly had months to prepare for the competition. I enjoyed competing last year and am not afraid to compete. In fact, I am doing sparring. Last year, I placed second in sparring (and first in board-breaking) but this year it will be much more competitive. I am not afraid to lose. The learning experience will be invaluable for me. Either way, I win.

Now, as far as forms go, I don't feel comfortable doing Pyung Ahn O Dan because I don't have the muscle memory yet. To be honest, I haven't received any feedback on the form at all from instructors. I didn't get any corrections during my spotlight either. That tells me I'm probably performing the form fine for a month's practice though. I don't believe a month's practice is enough to perform the form well in competition. I guess I don't feel prepared. Some of that may be lack of confidence that is misplaced.

No, I've never slacked off on training. I go to classes at least twice a week. I practice at home. What some students have done is schedule private training sessions. I just found that out. I was wondering how green belts my level were picking up Chil-Sung Il Ro Hyung (black belt form) so fast. We only do that that form once a month. I've only learned the first half though we have been through the whole form twice. One cannot learn that form in just a few sessions. There are many, many fine points that haven't even been touched upon in class - some preparations, leaning back on the heel at certain points, how to breathe, etc. Some people are going to extra help classes, too, to fine tune their forms. Extra help is no longer advertised but one can schedule a session here and there at no charge. I was surprised, thought they had been cancelled. Now I know though.

Last edited:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only compete if you are ready otherwise go watch and support your team and school.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Only compete if you are ready otherwise go watch and support your team and school.
Thank you for your support, Terry. I feel better now. I'm doing sparring but am not prepared to do my highest level form (I just began learning it about 5 weeks ago).

We have to compete by the way. If we don't, we aren't allowed to spotlight or test for two months ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for your support, Terry. I feel better now. I'm doing sparring but am not prepared to do my highest level form (I just began learning it about 5 weeks ago).

You are welcome Lynne and have fun

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Compete where you know your strengths are. I have never once competed in sparring at a tournament, because I know I'm not, as an asthmatic, cut out for three minutes of that kind of fighting, let alone several fights' worth of it. I spar in class and at tests because I want to show that I can and that I'm dedicated to my art, but I'm not interested in competing where I know my strength lies not.

Summary: just do what you know you can do.

Tang Soo! Good luck!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Compete where you know your strengths are. I have never once competed in sparring at a tournament, because I know I'm not, as an asthmatic, cut out for three minutes of that kind of fighting, let alone several fights' worth of it. I spar in class and at tests because I want to show that I can and that I'm dedicated to my art, but I'm not interested in competing where I know my strength lies not.

Summary: just do what you know you can do.

Tang Soo! Good luck!
Thanks, JT!

I have watched a few asthmatics in class. We have three and one has scared me quite bad. I honestly wondered if she was going to die. We ran into the locker room to find her inhaler. Of course she couldn't tell us where it was and we weren't even sure which sparring bag was hers. One of our black belts has to stop every few minutes and use his inhaler while sparring. Another has exercise-induced asthma which doesn't look like much fun either.

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score

We have to compete by the way. If we don't, we aren't allowed to spotlight or test for two months ;)

Are you required to compete with your highest form? Couldn't you compete using whatever form you think is best for you?

Yossarian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ive competed a few times when not ready with mixed results. You may do better than you think or it can be quite disheartening. If i dont do well at a comp it makes me train and prepare a lot harder for the next one. My next comp is a week after my Sam Dan test, providing I pass I will be competing against third Dans and Masters. There is no way I will be able to learn Kong Sang Koon in a week and I expect to do quite badly but im still entering all the categories since I have to be there anyway. I plan to just enjoy myself.

F

foggymorning162

We are incouraged to compete but we are not a tournament school so it is not required, except at apprentice black but even then you are required to "participate" in 2 federation tournaments I am not competative so I did registration and clean-up etc. I have only competed once. My question is are you allowed to keep your trophies? Our instructor feels they are your's as you were the one that won them but I have heard of schools that make you bring them in too be displayed at the dojang.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you required to compete with your highest form? Couldn't you compete using whatever form you think is best for you?
Well, guess what? I could have done any form I would have liked to do. I didn't know that until today. I found out a lot of people have been in my situation where they were just learning their new form, so they did a lower form. They did not let themselves be pressured into doing a Chil-Sung form instead. (Colored belts in the black belt club are taught Chil-Sung forms.) Arggggh! I could have done Pyung Ahn Sa Dan.

Live and learn.

Latest Discussions