"Yes, sir!" "Wha?"

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
The discussion of rank, &c. has made me wonder how strictly other schools enforce "Yes, sir!" and "Yes, ma'am!" when answering.

I don't know how many times I've had people look at me weird, outside of the dojang, when I answer them "Yes, sir!" or "Yes, ma'am!" because it's been drilled so far into my head. I count it a good thing, since I always show respect (especially to my bosses), but there have also been times when I've been told I don't really need to be "so formal."

This ever happen to any of you?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The discussion of rank, &c. has made me wonder how strictly other schools enforce "Yes, sir!" and "Yes, ma'am!" when answering.

I don't know how many times I've had people look at me weird, outside of the dojang, when I answer them "Yes, sir!" or "Yes, ma'am!" because it's been drilled so far into my head. I count it a good thing, since I always show respect (especially to my bosses), but there have also been times when I've been told I don't really need to be "so formal."

This ever happen to any of you?

I do it conscientiously, but I'm the only one. We have a lot of in- and outflow in our school, and people are pretty casual. My instructor himself takes a casual approach in this respect, because we use one of the rec centers as our base; if it were our own dojang premises, he'd be a lot firmer about this kind of etiquette issue (bowing in and out is still something he insists on, however). Sometimes, particularly when we have a large new incoming group right after quarterly registration, I feel a little odd about calling back 'Yes, sir', or more accurately, I feel that they feel a bit odd about me doing that; but I think it needs to be done, to remind them to our instructor is someone they need to focus and pay attention to.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
We enfore the "yes Sir" inside the dojang. Things are more casual outside. I'll tell you what gets me is when I slip into MA mode in civilian society. two prime examples, for some reason at work I had to step backwards through a doorway...I performed a half bow as I left the room. In another case, at work again, we were participating in a training class. the presenter called me up to demonstrate some stuff. When I finished he went to shake my hand. As I returned the hand shake I bowed. Thankfully,, most of my co-workers know about my after hours activities or accept the fact that I'm "eccentric" and don't think much of it.

Peace,
Erik

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I grew up in the south (Virginia), so I've always addressed others, especially elders, with "Yes, sir" and "Yes, ma'am." When I was a child, I even had to learn how to curtsy.

I do get odd looks from people here in New York. I can tell elders appreciate the respect.

Washington state was actually worse. People despised my saying "Yes, sir" and "Yes, ma'am." So, I didn't teach my daughter to address elders in a formal manner. When we visited family in Virginia, my relatives were shocked that my daughter didn't know the proper protocol. After being in martial arts, she addresses everyone with "Yes, ma'am" and "Yes, sir" presently.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like one of the earlier posts, I always use mam and sir. I sometimes I bow. (in or out of class --its a habbit)

At my school it is strickly enforced. However,I refer to my students, both young and old as sir or mam.

One of my pet pieves is: When you are talking to some one and they don't hear you for what ever reason and they say....Huh?, or....What? I consider this rude. So I say to them- What you meant to say was, Sir? or, excuse me sir? or say again please.

Last edited:

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I grew up in the south (Virginia), so I've always addressed others, especially elders, with "Yes, sir" and "Yes, ma'am." When I was a child, I even had to learn how to curtsy.

I do get odd looks from people here in New York. I can tell elders appreciate the respect.

Washington state was actually worse. People despised my saying "Yes, sir" and "Yes, ma'am." So, I didn't teach my daughter to address elders in a formal manner. When we visited family in Virginia, my relatives were shocked that my daughter didn't know the proper protocol. After being in martial arts, she addresses everyone with "Yes, ma'am" and "Yes, sir" presently.

I think it's refreshing when children say yes sir and yes ma'am. I don't think 39 years old is so very elderly!:p

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to say it more outside of the schools I visit then in them

I don't recall ever saying it to my instructors. They where always addressed by rank/title, or MR./Miss "last Name"

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like one of the earlier posts, I always use mam and sir. I sometimes I bow.

At my school it is strickly enforced. However,I refer to my students, both young and old as sir or mam.

One of my pet pieves is: When you are talking to some one and they don't hear you for what ever reason and they say....Huh?, or....What? I consider this rude. So I say to them- What you meant to say was, Sir? or, excuse me sir? or say again please.
My Sa Ba Num greets me as "ma'am." During a class or test, he may call me by my first name and that's fine with me.

I agree with the "huh" or "what" being rude. We had a few teens who were rude in that manner. Sa Ba Num grabbed one of them by the collar and shook him to get his attention. He was the kind of kid who wouldn't get it unless you had his undivided attention.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it's refreshing when children say yes sir and yes ma'am. I don't think 39 years old is so very elderly!:p
I'm 51 and I say it to everyone to show respect, whether it's a 15 year old young adult, small child, or whatnot.

It is not good to disrespect younger people - it's like saying they are not important. I will say that my older relatives are rude to me and my family. They feel that they don't need to respect us since we are younger. They will talk right over us and interrupt us.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We enfore the "yes Sir" inside the dojang. Things are more casual outside. I'll tell you what gets me is when I slip into MA mode in civilian society. two prime examples, for some reason at work I had to step backwards through a doorway...I performed a half bow as I left the room. In another case, at work again, we were participating in a training class. the presenter called me up to demonstrate some stuff. When I finished he went to shake my hand. As I returned the hand shake I bowed. Thankfully,, most of my co-workers know about my after hours activities or accept the fact that I'm "eccentric" and don't think much of it.

Peace,
Erik
Yes, you might be eccentric but you send an unconscious message of respect every time you do that. Calling someone sir/m'am or using the asian sign of respect of bowing sends a message of "I respect you for who/what you are" and that in turn GIVES you the respect. In business this is very good practice. We westerners think it's a bit "too formal" when we bow but go back just far enough in time and I'll betcha you'll see our forefathers doing the same thing. The Japanese and other asian cultures still bow to their "superiors" because they know it shows respect where it's due, even if it's a short bow.
I'm not accustomed to being called "sir" but I do. I either shrug it off or ask (nicely) to be referred/spoken to casually, even by subordinates should I be in a position of a foreman or "in charge". However if the situation calls for it, when calling me "sir" shows you're paying attention to what I'm saying and the seriousness/formality of whatever it is and you understand my place... this applies to everyone.
Even if my mind set is that of "there is NO-ONE superior to me (nor is anyone INFERIOR to me) if the situation calls for it I will honor that person by calling them "sir/m'am".
I think schools that reinforce (as opposed to enforcing) the "sir/m'am" moniker to the instructor helps students develop a habit of showing respect to others. Over time (especially younger students) will recognize when it's called for. That kid with the skateboard that kept calling the cop "dude" a while back for example. If he kept calling the cop "sir" I betcha the cop wouldn't have laid a hand on the kid and would've told him to go find someplace else to skate and probably done it nicely.
Imposing punishments (push-ups or laps or whatever) every time a student doesn't use "sir/m'am" (or the equivalent) to the instructor is a bit much IMO. If others, like say browns or green belts do it then the lower ranks (whites, yellows, etc.) will pick up on it and start using it. The instructor also needs to SHOW that by getting respect they appreciate it and show that appreciation however they feel fit, a "good job" or a few extra minutes of working with the student alone or a round of pizzas or something!
Teaching someone how to hit/kick isn't the instructor's only job in the dojang.
:asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Agreed - wherever I go here, if I say Yes Ma'am or Yes Sir people look at me like they're trying to figure out which hick state I'm from. :cuss: Though we encourage it in the dojang, we don't "enforce" it; i.e. if someone doesn't address a senior or a black belt with Ma'am or Sir we remind them but they don't get push-ups or anything.

Fostering general respect, while looked down upon by others, is an important temperance to have, in my opinion.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fostering general respect, while looked down upon by others, is an important temperance to have, in my opinion.
Agreed there.
I don't get funny looks when I call someone sir or m'am... maybe it's HOW I'm doing it. Not quite so formal or in a relaxed but still respectful manner.

OP
JT_the_Ninja

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow that got a lot of replies quickly...

I think I've actually done the bowing out of a non-dojang room before :p

I personally had it drilled into my head that the instructor doesn't hear "huh" or "what" or "well...," but only "Yes, sir!" or "No, sir!" (exclamation points necessary) Whenever I have to teach junior belt children, I enforce that policy. A lot of times, when I correct a kid, he/she will say "But I..." or "Yeah, but..." and then I just say "Yes, sir!" before he/she can finish, as a reminder that I don't want to hear excuses, I just want to hear "Yes, sir" and see the student doing it right. There's this one kid who thinks he's on Comedy Club stage or something, because every time I correct him, he puts his hands up to his mouth with a wide-eyed look or slaps his head or does some kind of double-take, as if I want to see that. You just have to remind them that you don't want to hear anything but a straight "Yes, sir/No, sir!" and see them correcting mistakes. That's the attitude I want to take for myself, in fact, whenever (and this isn't exactly a rare occurrence) I'm corrected.

Tang Soo!

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always address my instructors as "Sir" or "Ma'am" regardless of where we are. The only exception is when I refer to my main instructor as "Master Batch," since he is an ITF VII Dan. This goes for being in class, out of class, at dinner, where ever. I will also use both hands when shaking hands, wait for them to extend their hand first, hand things to them with both hands, turn my head to the side when drinking in front of them, etc. It's nothing they've ever told me I have to do, I just do it because it's Taekwon-Do etiquette and I respect them.

If someone in class (usually a beginner) doesn't use "sir" or "ma'am" when addressing them the black belts usually correct them. It's nothing mean or anything, just informing them of how etiquette works.

Pax,

Chris

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I personally had it drilled into my head that the instructor doesn't hear "huh" or "what" or "well...," but only "Yes, sir!" or "No, sir!" (exclamation points necessary) Whenever I have to teach junior belt children, I enforce that policy. A lot of times, when I correct a kid, he/she will say "But I..." or "Yeah, but..." and then I just say "Yes, sir!" before he/she can finish, as a reminder that I don't want to hear excuses, I just want to hear "Yes, sir" and see the student doing it right. There's this one kid who thinks he's on Comedy Club stage or something, because every time I correct him, he puts his hands up to his mouth with a wide-eyed look or slaps his head or does some kind of double-take, as if I want to see that. You just have to remind them that you don't want to hear anything but a straight "Yes, sir/No, sir!" and see them correcting mistakes. That's the attitude I want to take for myself, in fact, whenever (and this isn't exactly a rare occurrence) I'm corrected.

Tang Soo!

We have a lot in common- I do the same thing!

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Tang Soo!
Like an idiot, I have bowed when going into Wal-Mart (it was right after class). Then, Wal-Mart is a war zone, lol.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like many above, I was brought up in a fashion wherein courtesy and the offering of appropriate respect was as ordinary as the air we breathed.

Those lessons have never left me and I did not find the formal reigi inherent in the martial arts to be anything out of the ordinary. Only the depth of the bow changes depending on whether I am in a dojo or not :lol:.

People do respond to such courtesy, even if they think it a little odd.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, I hear constantly about the difficulty in connecting with others in the interest of doing business, providing customer service, and a host of other things when one is dealing with someone who gives no direct attention, uses phrases such as, "I guess," and "uh-huh," etcetera.

The use of Yes Ma'am and Yes Sir is often looked down upon, mainly by more modernized martial artists, with the casual and uninformed observation that it fosters blind faith or cultism. If general respect and the use of these terms is encouraged and mildly enforced, this can foster attention, confidence, professionalism, focus, appropriate and localized behavior and a host of other things.

The danger comes in, I think, if the requirement of such salutary utterings is indicated and demanded along with the ignorance of exploratory questioning, blind following as a tenet rule rather than a momentary focus drill.

Just as general respect shouldn't be abused, demonstrative respect should not be abused either!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Dojang, "Yes Sir," "No Sir," and Mr. and Ms.' all around. Outside, it is expected, although some are better about it than others. Of course, for me, at work, everyone is Sir or Ma'am or rank/title and name, so it really isnt' weird for us. I have bowed on many occasions at work and get looked at VERY funny.

I am still a bit up in the air about some of the other observations. I believe in a difference between an excuse and a reason. When asked a direct question or given a correction, "yes sir" is the only acceptable response. I believe in taking responsibility for your actions, but I don't always believe in simply cutting the student off. It depends a lot on the student, some students ALWAYS have an excuse or a rebuttal to what you say and need to be cut off. But example...last night while doing Ill Soo Sik, a student was told to extend their kick further and said "Yes sir, my distance was off." This is a reason, not an excuse and there's no reason to cut them off or not allow it. Every other time, the technique was right. I think that is very situational.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the Dojang, "Yes Sir," "No Sir," and Mr. and Ms.' all around. Outside, it is expected, although some are better about it than others. Of course, for me, at work, everyone is Sir or Ma'am or rank/title and name, so it really isnt' weird for us. I have bowed on many occasions at work and get looked at VERY funny.

I am still a bit up in the air about some of the other observations. I believe in a difference between an excuse and a reason. When asked a direct question or given a correction, "yes sir" is the only acceptable response. I believe in taking responsibility for your actions, but I don't always believe in simply cutting the student off. It depends a lot on the student, some students ALWAYS have an excuse or a rebuttal to what you say and need to be cut off. But example...last night while doing Ill Soo Sik, a student was told to extend their kick further and said "Yes sir, my distance was off." This is a reason, not an excuse and there's no reason to cut them off or not allow it. Every other time, the technique was right. I think that is very situational.
Yes, if the student recognizes what they've done wrong and acknowledges it for the benefit of the instructor so that if they're mistaken about their reason they can be corrected or the instructor can take that as an opportunity to explain why or give ways to correct the problem.
I do this with my non-MA students (ok, don't HAVE any MA students). If they give a reason to my asking why....? Then I use that opportunity to increase their knowledge (based on my experiences) on that.

I like that there is a difference between an excuse and a reason.

Latest Discussions