Do self defense programs work?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your definition of "resist" include dodge, move to the side, move back, run away, lay down on the ground, ...?

If I can run away faster that you can chase me, even if you are Muhammad Ali, your punch cannot land on me.

As long as "resist" means "contact", you can always borrow your opponent's resisting force.

For example,

- I punch.
- You block.
- I pull your blocking arm, and ...

But if

- I punch.
- You dodge.
- I can't do much after that.
Yeah, when we're talking about resisting a technique (as in purposely trying to stop it from happening) all that is part of the toolbox. And as I said before, it can also include relaxation, which doesn't provide a force to borrow.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, when we're talking about resisting a technique (as in purposely trying to stop it from happening) all that is part of the toolbox. And as I said before, it can also include relaxation, which doesn't provide a force to borrow.
It doesn't matter relaxation or not, as long a there is body contact, the clinch can be established.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter relaxation or not, as long a there is body contact, the clinch can be established.
Oh, I agree with that - I was commenting on your statement that if the resistance includes contact, you can borrow their force. As long as they commit some force, you can borrow it, but relaxation doesn't commit force to borrow.

Latest Discussions