Martial arts for dancers?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, To agree or not to agree? Just my thoughts..

My Son and Daughter(still in High School Judo)...did Judo and we tried to attend lot of the classes....(I did train for a very short time)...

We were impressed by Sensi Al....an excellant tearher ( train in Japan) before moving to Hawaii...

His stories, and other things...has impress us ALL...in the short time I have train...I learn alot from him...and the other side of JUDO...the "combat side" ....it can be more than you think..

Other Sensi's that I met and got to know at ALL the Judo tournaments...thru the years...give us more incites to this area of Judo..
-----------------------------
Sorry if I offend anyone.....!
------------------------------
Beliefs...everyone has one....( i prefer cookies over cake..)

----------------------------

OFF course if you never tried it? .....one will never know for sure?

Aloha, Wonder why..BJJ is so popular? ...judo moves is almost the same!

PS: Martial arts is like a religion...so many choices...which one is the best and most effect one?

...funny most of us promote only "OURS"...?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Most martial arts have some form of throws, most teach some form of falling tuck and rolls....

IS learning this important in all arts? ....?

Aloha, the rise and fall of "still learning"

---------------------------------------------------------
Research this futher...at Black belt levels (Judo)...striking and kicking is add in the training....Japan anyway...
Also WHY? did BJJ become so popular? ....is it because of the striking part or the ground fighting...which starts with takedowns?
-------------------------------------------------------

Thank-you for the feedbacks...Learning is never ending...one can always learn many things from these sites....(sometimes hardhead too...ME) ...too many falls?

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi still learning,

I'm going to try to address your last two posts at once here, so please bear with me.

I think it's great that you and your kids have had good experiences with Judo, and have met some great instructors in this art, but you really do need to look to what is posted and either answer that (as asked), or if you cannot add to the conversation (by ignoring the question itself and just posting what you want the answer to be, as you have here and in many other similar threads), I would suggest you refrain from answering.

The other common part of your answers is that "Judo... is more that you think". Now, personally, I am not fond of that phrasing. For one thing, it assumes that no-one here has any experience in Judo, and you are the only one who really knows about it. By your own admission here, you are relatively inexperienced in Judo yourself, so that is rather arrogant, particularly to the Judoka on the forum. Then you have people such as myself, who focus on Japanese Martial Arts, and to assume that we have a limited knowledge of Judo (compared to yourself), is less-than fun. Sorry, but that is how you are coming across.

As to beliefs, yes, everyone has them, but as Blindsage said, the question was particular and had certain requirements, all of which you ignored. Belief in Judo being the best was not the issue. And frankly, BJJ is Judo, brought to Brazil by Maeda in the early 20th Century and taught to the Gracies and Machados, and since modified to have a higher focus on groundwork. So no wonder they are similar, but again completely irrelevant as BJJ is as badly matched to the original request as Judo is. Again, read the question and answer it, or don't answer. Please.

"Most martial arts have some form of throws, most teach some form of falling tuck and rolls...."

No throws in Kendo, falling and rolling skills are rarely found in Tae Kwon Do, boxing has none of these, minimalist in most Karate and Chinese systems, not present in weapon-based arts, and more. So your comment is inaccurate, at least. Most arts will have a prefered range or approach, these are just some of the differences that make them appeal to different people. So while I agree that learning to fall safely is very important when it comes to defence training, to say that most arts teach it, and the OP should look to a grappling system when she has specifically stated a preference for non-grappling arts is not listening again.

You then try to turn us to believing that your answer is still good by stating that at higher levels (in Japan) senior Black Belts start to add striking and kicking, and that BJJ is popular due to MMA-style ground and pound tactics? How does that help the OP looking to start a striking, non-grappling art with weapons and weapon defence? It just doesn't help, man. It's like telling someone that wants to be a rock guitarist that they should start taking piano lessons, because a number of experienced musicians can play multiple instruments...

In the end, still learning, it seems that you aren't learning yet. Hopefully this will help your journey. Take it easy on those falls, my friend...

Gypsy, sorry to have hijacked your thread, I wish you the best with Systema (as that is the way you have decided to go), keep us posted on your progress, and enjoy your journey!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"What's for dinner"? ...JUDO!

ROFL oh my I am in stitches here.. that has got to be the funniest line I have read here in ages.. so good it should be a quotation for a signature LOLss.. Jenna x

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi still learning,

I'm going to try to address your last two posts at once here, so please bear with me.

I think it's great that you and your kids have had good experiences with Judo, and have met some great instructors in this art, but you really do need to look to what is posted and either answer that (as asked), or if you cannot add to the conversation (by ignoring the question itself and just posting what you want the answer to be, as you have here and in many other similar threads), I would suggest you refrain from answering.

The other common part of your answers is that "Judo... is more that you think". Now, personally, I am not fond of that phrasing. For one thing, it assumes that no-one here has any experience in Judo, and you are the only one who really knows about it. By your own admission here, you are relatively inexperienced in Judo yourself, so that is rather arrogant, particularly to the Judoka on the forum. Then you have people such as myself, who focus on Japanese Martial Arts, and to assume that we have a limited knowledge of Judo (compared to yourself), is less-than fun. Sorry, but that is how you are coming across.

As to beliefs, yes, everyone has them, but as Blindsage said, the question was particular and had certain requirements, all of which you ignored. Belief in Judo being the best was not the issue. And frankly, BJJ is Judo, brought to Brazil by Maeda in the early 20th Century and taught to the Gracies and Machados, and since modified to have a higher focus on groundwork. So no wonder they are similar, but again completely irrelevant as BJJ is as badly matched to the original request as Judo is. Again, read the question and answer it, or don't answer. Please.

"Most martial arts have some form of throws, most teach some form of falling tuck and rolls...."

No throws in Kendo, falling and rolling skills are rarely found in Tae Kwon Do, boxing has none of these, minimalist in most Karate and Chinese systems, not present in weapon-based arts, and more. So your comment is inaccurate, at least. Most arts will have a prefered range or approach, these are just some of the differences that make them appeal to different people. So while I agree that learning to fall safely is very important when it comes to defence training, to say that most arts teach it, and the OP should look to a grappling system when she has specifically stated a preference for non-grappling arts is not listening again.

You then try to turn us to believing that your answer is still good by stating that at higher levels (in Japan) senior Black Belts start to add striking and kicking, and that BJJ is popular due to MMA-style ground and pound tactics? How does that help the OP looking to start a striking, non-grappling art with weapons and weapon defence? It just doesn't help, man. It's like telling someone that wants to be a rock guitarist that they should start taking piano lessons, because a number of experienced musicians can play multiple instruments...

In the end, still learning, it seems that you aren't learning yet. Hopefully this will help your journey. Take it easy on those falls, my friend...

Gypsy, sorry to have hijacked your thread, I wish you the best with Systema (as that is the way you have decided to go), keep us posted on your progress, and enjoy your journey!

Hello, Thank-you...You express this very well!

..the world is big and from "Karate Spirit" ..training has NO ending!

Good to explore all the arts....!

Aloha,

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi still learning,

Yes, on that we agree, training in never ending, and exploring as many systems as possible is a good thing. But the actual training should focus on just one (at least in the beginning), so let's try and help the people who ask for something specific find that which they are looking for. Good to hear from you again.

Latest Discussions