Distance to school

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys are extremely dedicated, more than me to be honest. If I lived 45 miles away or 180 even i'd find a closer dojo/gym, lol. Anyone else agree with me?

Well, in Wyoming your choices are pretty limited, that was the closest school, I was just lucky that it was an excellent instructor.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was living in Indiana I had a 50 mile roundtrip twice a week. It was well worth it.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kung fu school: 9 miles, about 35 minutes in traffic.

Tai chi school: 25 miles, about 45 minutes on Sunday mornings.

I wish my schools were closer, but I shoot for quality, not proximity.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow you guys are extremely dedicated, more than me to be honest. If I lived 45 miles away or 180 even i'd find a closer dojo/gym, lol. Anyone else agree with me?
Sometimes it is a false economy to go to the closer school. It depends on the teacher and what it is you want to learn. I travel 45 minutes each way, twice a week. I probably would have at least 10 other schools closer, but none of them can teach me what I want to learn. :asian:

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
I currently teach out of a studio in my home, so it's nice. I travel from my living room to my basement when people show up.

I do, however travel to a BJJ school to train that is about a 40 min drive for me. That's a couple of times per week.

The longest I've driven was about an hour, that was shen I was helping to coach MMA at a gym in a neighboring town. It was good training too working with the other coaches and high calaber fighters. The drive finally got to be too much.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I fully agree that the quality and substance of training should not depend on location alone. I just consider logistics important and consider it highly in my choice of a school. I have little "spare" time and have to use what I have wisely.

If my only good option was farther away, I would use that option. Sadly, I happen to live in a metro area with a fairly substantial commute "interest". :) Ten or fifteen years ago I did travel the metro area for classes. Even into the next state. It was 30 minutes, or so, then. It is now more then double that.

You do have to make choices sometimes, and those choices are dependent on your time and resources. The bottom line is you have to study something you are interested in. Sometimes there is a balance involved. If I could get 10 to 15 miles of travel done in 20 minutes, or so, no problem. The reality of the situation is different.

Kudos to those who travel long distances for their training!

Thank you,
Milt G.

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The first school I went to was a little less than a 10 minute drive from my house. After it changed, it doubled to a 20 minute drive.

The class I go to now is about a 15 minute drive once a week. The class one of my instructors teaches at his home workshop is almost a half hour drive for me. Not too bad considering. The quality of the instructors is worth a whole lot more.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are tons of schools 5-20 minutes away, but I drive an hour to the schoo I train at 3 times a week. I train once or twice a week at a second school that is about 35 min away.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
at this time I normaly travel 140 mile or about 2 1/2 hours to study
yes ythere are closer schools but I know whom I want to study from

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
I teach at three different dojos one is 5 mins away that i go to twice a week another is 20 mins away and the other is 45 mins away both of them i go to once a week

Latest Discussions