Distance to school

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the distance is everyone travels to their martial arts school/gym and if they have changed schools to one closer recently? Or does distance affect anyone as far as how often they go to class or do you prefer to find a school close to home that may not be your first choice in style, instead of a style you want which can be a good distance away?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor has 2 clubs , one is a 5 minute walk from my house and the other is a 15 minute drive from my house. I usually go to the one further away as there are more adults there and some guys who are really good at sparring so it keeps me on my toes.

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So you teach kenpo from home suicide? Would you recommend I find a school under 20 miles? maybe even 15?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I lucked out, my school is one mile from my house. My work is one mile from my house.
A tank of gas, even with a V8 lasts me about a month.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
The furthest I've traveled is 8 miles. If the school is worth it to you, then 20 miles might not be that much to ask. :)

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Depending on what class for what MA:

7 miles
10 miles
45 miles:eek:

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My school is 3.3 miles from me and takes 7-12 minutes to drive depending on which route I take. There are other schools that are closer that teach the same styles, but I really love most of the students and I even like most of the teachers in my school too! :)

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although when I first started, i was 45 miles away. In rush hour L.A. traffic, it would take me 2 1/2 hours to get there everynight. Now I live 20 min away.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
My TKD dojang is a 3 minute drive from my house...takes abotu 15-20 minutes to walk there. Very close.

My Bujinkane Budo taijutsu class is about a 30 minute drive...not too far. It's only once a week. My BBT instructor has to drive a couple of hours to see his instructor.

Peace,
Erik

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If there is no traffic, it's a 2 hr round trip, twice a week.

I haven't considered the distance to be a problem, as the 'travel cost' in time and gas is well worth the instruction.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
When I lived in Wyoming I lived 40 miles from the Kenpo school, about 35 minutes in good weather, 1.5 hours in bad, 3 days/week attendance. When I started taking Kali I was 180 miles from my instructor (private lessons twice a month). Most of the time I would use the drive time to mentally rehearse what I had learned in class, it really helped retention and connection to other material.

After I moved to Washington, I started a little club about a minute from my house. Suddenly I have all this extra time on my hands. :D Though the commute back to see my old instructors is a long one.

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wow you guys are extremely dedicated, more than me to be honest. If I lived 45 miles away or 180 even i'd find a closer dojo/gym, lol. Anyone else agree with me?

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the distance is everyone travels to their martial arts school/gym and if they have changed schools to one closer recently? Or does distance affect anyone as far as how often they go to class or do you prefer to find a school close to home that may not be your first choice in style, instead of a style you want which can be a good distance away?

Hello,

Four (4) minutes by car... Very close and very convenient. It allows me the maximum possible time, there, to train.

Yes, the location is very important to me. I would like to travel 15 minutes or less to get to the (a) school. More time would assist me in finding reasons to attend less often. That being a working guy, and all.

Thank you,
Milt G.

sparky12

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I drive 40 mi one way. Lots of schools closer but would not consider changing schools.
Regards, Don

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I drive 15-20 minutes depending on traffic. I would drive further if I thought it was worth it. There's a Systema instructor I'm thinking about going to that would be about 45 minutes away.

Latest Discussions