disrespect?

J

jkdhit

just curious about some of your schools..

i've noticed a few martial arts schools of the same style won't allow you to wear a black belt from another school. most of the time any other colored belt is acceptable but still some schools want you to start back as a white belt no matter what color belt you've obtained.

do any of you see this is a sign of disrespect towards your previous school?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No it is a sign of humbleness in one self, if I join another school and it was a different style all together I would have no problem wearing a white belt again rank mean nothing in the scope of learning.

Terry Lee Stoker

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
Not at all. The fact that they invite you to wear a belt other than white, is an honor in and of itself.

To be blunt, different styles have different techniques, and different ways of doing things. Even styles that are similar are still different enough.

The only time I would let someone wear their black belt as a newcomer, is if they were either a guest (and not under contract), or if they were from the same style previously.

If someone comes in and were from a similar style, such as a Shotokan practitioner going to a Wado Ryu school, or vice versa, and if he displayed decent fundamentals, then I wouldn't mind having him start out as a brown belt (whether it's 3rd, 2nd, or 1st kyu isn't really relevant), but this would be an unofficial rank. I would, however, push the new student to train hard, so that he could take our shodan exam and get an official rank with us.

If someone came in from a significantly different style, I would ask him to start at white belt, with the understanding that he could certainly have the chance to double test, as long as he demonstrated correct techniques, and could perform the requirements as expected of the rank at which he were to test.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only if it's from another school that does the same style. If I went to another Modern Arnis school from a different org., I might expect them to recognize my belt. But, not all would! That's OK by me--their org., their rules. Standards and requirements vary, so while it might be polite to recognize it, it could also be misleading. But if I went to a Judo school--no, of course they shouldn't let me wear my black belt.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely not, it is not disrespectful at all, its proper and shows respect not only to the style, but to all the colored belts in that particular system as well.

I dont really know what this fixation with bb is, I mean if you are going to train in a different system there should be no problems with you starting at the beginning. You'd only be lying to yourself if you walked in there with a bb.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
half the time I don't even where my black belt/sash at my main school, I surely don't where it at a school where I'm beginning. Let your performance and demeanor show how you should be regarded not what's holding up your pants.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I have always been in American Kenpo. I have studied at 5 different studios. My original studio was at college (as college classes). The other four were studios not affliated with the college. Only two allowed me to keep rank when I came in. The other two, I started over at white.

The reason for the ones that allowed me to keep rank: I came in with "current" skills.

The ones I started over at white: I had been out of training for two or more years, so my skills were not current.

There were enough differences with all five studios. The keeping of rank was just a formality until I caught up with their material equal to the rank I held. I just might as well have started at white anyway.

I have learned along the way that starting over at white is not a disrespect of what I've learned nor a lack of recognition of my "rank".

Things are different enough that starting over with basics is always a good thing and a great refresher. It reinforces and strengthens what I've learned--making my foundation more sturdy.

I learned a lot from my instructors because of their experiences, their skills, and their perspectives/interpretations of the American Kenpo material.

When I started cross-training with Judo, I started at white, of course. It is a completely different style. I do not expect Judo to recognize my rank with Kenpo.

- Ceicei

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jkdhit said:

i've noticed a few martial arts schools of the same style won't allow you to wear a black belt from another school. most of the time any other colored belt is acceptable but still some schools want you to start back as a white belt no matter what color belt you've obtained.

I don't see it as being disrespectful. Ultimately its going to depend on the new school. Is it the same art or something different? If its the same, they may allow you to wear your rank. Even if the material is slightly different, they'd still acknowledge the belt, but you'd have to catch up on the material from the beginning. If its a different art altogether, then I'd have to say it would be best to start at white. People should be able to humble themselves and be able to start fresh.

Mike

OP
J

jkdhit

oulobo you used the wrong wear twice :p

i dont think some people understood the question completely. i asked if it were a sign of disrespect to wear a belt from one style of a school to the same style of another school

a lot of responses mentioned one style and then mentioned wearing it to a school which teaches a different style which isn't what i asked :eek:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It depends on the the teacher, some perfer you start at the begining because he wants you to learn his way. Some schools teach the same style but are not affiliate with your system and may ask to to start as a white belt.

Again it depends on the individual teacher. Ask is the best way to go.

When you go to train in a new school of the same style, IS IT! that important for you to wear your present color belt from the last school you train in? The new Sensi will know what you last rank was. It is up to him to decide what is allow in his school.

Thru the years we found large schools(more than one) will ask you to start from white belt. The smaller independant schools most likely allow you to were your present rank. Again it depends on the teacher. No disrespect on my answer........................Just my thoughts...............Aloha

PatMunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
jkdhit said:

I think a better question to ask is Would it be a sign of disrespect towards your new school to wear rank from a different style/school?

I don't think that there is any worse slap in the face than someone coming up to you with a lower rank than you are wearing and asking you to help them with something and you not being able to help them properly. It just doesn't look good.

Pat Munk, Shichidan

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does wearing a belt at all really matter? Your knowledge and experience is not around your waist but in your head and heart.

In the spirit of Bushido!

Rob

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a sign of disrespect. The instructor does not know to what standard you were trained, so most of the time they want you to have an observation or "prove in" time. After that they will either recognize your rank or tell you where you sit within their standards.

This can be a very humbling experience.

OP
K

Karushi

terryl965 said:
No it is a sign of humbleness in one self...
Now I don't have any experience in this but this seems the most logical.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Visitors (say: people attending a seminar or workshop) are welcome to wear whatever they like. As to students: since our cirriculum is different than everyone elses, your rank in your old school would say nothing about how much of our cirriculum you knew. Since "rank" is a measur of knowledge of the system, it would make no sense to try to adapt an old rank to a new one.

On the up-side, you may get through some of the cirriculum faster :).

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i'd be interested to hear what some of the resident EPAK guys have to say about this, seeing there are AK schools all across the country. the base system is all the same but there are SOME variations of belt requirements that could change between schools. how is the viewed?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jkdhit said:

Not at all. Respect is earned. Show a good school and head instructor that your training was first rate and that you earned your grade - and I bet you'll advance fairly quickly.

Also, keep in mind, that Dans represent the instructor's studio. He or she might be considered irresponsible for putting an "unknown quantity" in a position of such responsibility.

Please don't be offended, but this is the second thread you've expressed concern that you might not be able to wear a black belt in a new school or class - whether private or university. Perhaps you should concentrate less on how you look and more upon how you train.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
i'd be interested to hear what some of the resident EPAK guys have to say about this, seeing there are AK schools all across the country. the base system is all the same but there are SOME variations of belt requirements that could change between schools. how is the viewed?

It would still be the same system. You can have Tatum, Palanas, Palanas or any of the others teach a tech. and there is a good chance that there will be something slightly different. Honor the belt but have the student learn the differences.

Just my .02!

Mike

OP
J

jkdhit

Jonathan Randall said:
Please don't be offended, but this is the second thread you've expressed concern that you might not be able to wear a black belt in a new school or class - whether private or university. Perhaps you should concentrate less on how you look and more upon how you train.

both topics are different subjects so it's wrong for you to assume

Latest Discussions