Discworld - Terry Pratchett

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Something a little embarrassing to admit. But A few years ago when my ex and I were on that slow decline to our breakup I brought along a Pratchett book on a trip we had together. I find it funny in retrospect her complaining that I never paid any attention to her and using that as an example when at that point I so didn't care anymore.

I think it was Feet Of Clay, great one by the way.

How dare you read a book!

big fat meany you are!

LOL

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
and on that note, OKLA just scored a touchdown.

Neb 17 - Okla 16, waiting on the field goal.

BTW, a good Discworld book to check out is Unseen Academicals. It's about the staff and faculty of the Unseen University starting a football team. Thing is in Morpork, football is more about the pies at the game and the riot than the actual game itself.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, sounds about right.

Auburn is going for the national Championship (not that I am a fan or anything, but's in-state...you gotta pull for them!)

ROLL EAGLE...

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LAst year Bama, this year Auburn, it would be great... ^_^

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, so, you people got me interested in trying Pratchett, and now, I'm frustrated.
None of the reasonably close libraries have any checked in and none of the close bookstores have any in condition I'd pay for.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
tell the library to put a hold on one once it comes in.

or bite the bullet and buy one from amazon. if it's not for you, the library will be happy to take it off your hands, they even write donation recipts.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, so, you people got me interested in trying Pratchett, and now, I'm frustrated.
None of the reasonably close libraries have any checked in and none of the close bookstores have any in condition I'd pay for.

Never read him? I would have assumed you have since you are one of the more active members in the books thread.

I highly recommend his work to anyone. It's a world that seems medieval but he asks the same philosophical questions we do, about corrupt leadership, new technology (film, newspapers, guns) but in a funny way. Like when Moist is given rull regin of the Morpork post office so he invents these things called "stamps" which are valued at the amount printed on there ... so people start trading in stamps rather than Lord Vetinari's coin. How does capitalism affect a monarchy all of a sudden out of nowhere?

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He is really good in bringing characters to life you might have seen just a minute ago at the corner store.

In Thud! he is picking apart how preconceived ideas influence our lives and how deep superstitions affect us.

Not to mention his puns on technology...I am still laughing about 'The Gooseberry'

(I had to laugh at one of the reservists, though...bringing his own stick: 2 sticks connected with a chain :lfao: )

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
The names are priceless too. Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, Carrot Ironfounderson, Fred Colon, Nobby Nobbs (a well known and highly regarded thief who happens to be a cop!), Detritus (exactly what he sounds like, a guy made of all stone), Ponder Stibbons.

Oh, and the guilds slay me. The Guild Of Assassins who do more lurking around and being creepy than actually killing because well, that's outdated. Or The Guild Of Thieves, who happen to have their offices right up the street from the castle.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
same here.
I only read it because it was on my mom's night stand and I had read the books I had brought with me...

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The names are priceless too. Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, Carrot Ironfounderson, Fred Colon, Nobby Nobbs (a well known and highly regarded thief who happens to be a cop!), Detritus (exactly what he sounds like, a guy made of all stone), Ponder Stibbons.

Oh, and the guilds slay me. The Guild Of Assassins who do more lurking around and being creepy than actually killing because well, that's outdated. Or The Guild Of Thieves, who happen to have their offices right up the street from the castle.

LOL, yep (I need the first watch house book, need to know wht Carrot is named that...not to mention he is a 6 foot something 'dwarf' and has a werewolf and a vampire fawn over him...)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
As you read the series you'll realize that Carrot is descended from the original Royal family of Morpork. He's tall, blond, handsome, build like Steve Reeves meets Frank Zane, TP goes to great lengths to make his description as close to Prince Charming as possible. But he was adopted and raised by dwarfs so he knows nothing of who he really is ... funny thing is, everybody else in the city does. They follow him around, swoon at his every word, etc.

carrot_kidby.jpg

One of those things about TP. You read each book as it's own little story but as you go along little hints are dropped here and there as to who each character is. Like Sam Vimes is really Dirty Harry.

Latest Discussions