Discovered ultimate MA !

OP
K

Knifehand

POV POV POV.... point of view point of view point of view. You see people drop their guards when they kick.... maybe its a bad habit... but SD isn't just about about fighting. Its about confidence, thinking clearly, and making good choices. Fighting is a last resort, or atleast it should be.

and Finally...

the liklihood that someone would actually use a side kick or a front kick in a fight is slim to nill... and if you do, i'm sorry for you (no offense to any style that says otherwise...)

This site has language, violence and beatings=Adult content... this is to show how people actually fight nowadays...if you didn't already know...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=838757

OP
J

jjmcc

Paul B said:
Refoggified? :lol: Can I steal that?

Ditto on the Karateka thing. Go check out a Kyokushinkai Dojo and get back to us.:) Those guys are nuts! (in a good way)
Thanks i checked out a couple of there sites and i have to say i was a little shocked. Which leads me to apologise for my recent outburst i think i still think of my experiences of karate classes when i was very young. But i still dont understand why anyone will drop there hands to block a low strike when you have your legs and knees there to do the same job?

OP
K

Knifehand

jjmcc said:
Thanks i checked out a couple of there sites and i have to say i was a little shocked. Which leads me to apologise for my recent outburst i think i still think of my experiences of karate classes when i was very young. But i still dont understand why anyone will drop there hands to block a low strike when you have your legs and knees there to do the same job?
Well my instructor teaches us to block kicks to the ribs with a low block. If you use your legs to block, you are liable to get off balance, which is costly in a fight. Exposing the knees to attack is dangerous... knees are easily broken or dislocated. Personally, i would get up close and personal with my attacker so i can be on the offensive rather than the opposite. Inorder to do certain kicks properly, you need to be a certain distance or your screwed. If you close that distance, your attacker cannot kick, so why worry about it.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
Well my instructor teaches us to block kicks to the ribs with a low block. If you use your legs to block, you are liable to get off balance, which is costly in a fight. Exposing the knees to attack is dangerous... knees are easily broken or dislocated. Personally, i would get up close and personal with my attacker so i can be on the offensive rather than the opposite. Inorder to do certain kicks properly, you need to be a certain distance or your screwed. If you close that distance, your attacker cannot kick, so why worry about it.
You should be able to do any kicks properly from just about any distance

OP
K

Knifehand

ppko said:
Yeah, i should. but i wasn't talking about me. Odds are, if someone attacks me, they are not a martial artist, and if they are they are a Mcdojo student. If they attack me and I get upclose and personal, they won't have much of a chance to do much of anything. The best attack is one your oppnent can't see, You can't see something moving fast, and the fastest way to hit someone is to close the distance between you and them and strike fast, because the closest distance between to points is a stright line.

OP
K

Knifehand

ppko said:
Yeah, i should. but i wasn't talking about me. Odds are, if someone attacks me, they are not a martial artist, and if they are they are a Mcdojo student. If they attack me and I get upclose and personal, they won't have much of a chance to do much of anything. The best attack is one your oppnent can't see, You can't see something moving fast, and the fastest way to hit someone is to close the distance between you and them and strike fast, because the closest distance between to points is a stright line.

OP
J

jjmcc

Knifehand said:
We are talking self defence so when you lift your knee to block you go forward never back so you are never off balence. (2) Your knees are a lot stronger than just tissue i have been taught that your knees and elbows are your armour and are much stronger than what you are making them out to be. Also ive seen a lot of kicks in street fights nothin fancy a kick to the groin or shin. ive had first hand experience of how hard your elbows and knees can be on the streets and have enough scars to prove it as i have to deal with violence every week in my line of work

OP
J

jjmcc

Knifehand said:
Good point but i would just put my fingers in there eyes then the only way they can go is back so just keep tracking them and then wreck them!!!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
jjmcc said:
In some cases yes, in others, no. Hard to set up a takedown with your knee for example.

OP
K

Knifehand

jjmcc said:
Good point but i would just put my fingers in there eyes then the only way they can go is back so just keep tracking them and then wreck them!!!
My goal in a fight is not serverly injure the person(i have to much control for that), just to make feel as stupid as possible. If they hurt me, i hurt them back...but regardless of why they are attacking me, if my bodily safety is in jepordy (SP?) i will cause them pain... but if i can avoid it.. a simple ego depressing will suffice.

OP
A

Autocrat

Again... wow.... continued further than I thought - LOL

Still.... some of the responses have me wondering... so I'll just shoot and see!

Kick at any distance/range? Just to be picky, but I'm working on front leg kicks, and I have problems kicking at close distance.... It really does depend on the size of your legs, the target area and the distance...IMO of course!

Further, some oone made the sin of saying SPORT! No names mentioned, but BAD PERSOn.... some styles are... but the majority of Karate schools, even those that have moved away from contact and conditioning, are still affective and not sport orientated.... things like Judo are... yet still affective! I may not like sports styles, yet I don't knock them (much :grin:).

As for SD over MA.... not alot of difference.... both are practical... the real difference is time.... you can become very proficient in SD within weeks, where as most MA's take years..... the reason is simple, the number of techniques! SD's tend to utilse numerous escape strategies, yet implement basic strikes, takedowns and throws, a few may include a lock or hold, but the basis is to get away asap! this is not the case in MA's.... whish is where the SD's get there ideas anyway!

And on a final note.... the defence used depends upon the situation, the surrounds and the possible repurcussions! Come at me with several friends and armed, I'll either leg it, or take everyone of of them down, (usually by running slow enough that the fastest catchesme, then I knee cap them!). If the situation is havenly, iew in a mall, a pub etc. with viewers, I make a lot of noise going " no", "leave me alone" "Please, don't attack me", then I say a line like "I'm going to slap you silly", followed by a heavy right handed slap to the face... basacilly its a palm punch with sprayed fingers... yet the non-MA's wouldn't know that! It's great, what they going to say to cops.... "he slapped me"....ha ha ha!

Still, whats next?

OP
J

jjmcc

Autocrat said:
Again... wow.... continued further than I thought - LOL

Still.... some of the responses have me wondering... so I'll just shoot and see!

Kick at any distance/range? Just to be picky, but I'm working on front leg kicks, and I have problems kicking at close distance.... It really does depend on the size of your legs, the target area and the distance...IMO of course!

Further, some oone made the sin of saying SPORT! No names mentioned, but BAD PERSOn.... some styles are... but the majority of Karate schools, even those that have moved away from contact and conditioning, are still affective and not sport orientated.... things like Judo are... yet still affective! I may not like sports styles, yet I don't knock them (much :grin:).

As for SD over MA.... not alot of difference.... both are practical... the real difference is time.... you can become very proficient in SD within weeks, where as most MA's take years..... the reason is simple, the number of techniques! SD's tend to utilse numerous escape strategies, yet implement basic strikes, takedowns and throws, a few may include a lock or hold, but the basis is to get away asap! this is not the case in MA's.... whish is where the SD's get there ideas anyway!

And on a final note.... the defence used depends upon the situation, the surrounds and the possible repurcussions! Come at me with several friends and armed, I'll either leg it, or take everyone of of them down, (usually by running slow enough that the fastest catchesme, then I knee cap them!). If the situation is havenly, iew in a mall, a pub etc. with viewers, I make a lot of noise going " no", "leave me alone" "Please, don't attack me", then I say a line like "I'm going to slap you silly", followed by a heavy right handed slap to the face... basacilly its a palm punch with sprayed fingers... yet the non-MA's wouldn't know that! It's great, what they going to say to cops.... "he slapped me"....ha ha ha!

Still, whats next?

TO BE TRUTHFUL i really dont care what happens to me ie: getting arrested or fined if someone has a go ill break them first and worry about the conciquences later. Look at it this way if someone slapped you in the face how would that make you feel preety pissed off id guess so why make someone who is ready to attack you angryer than they allready are just say i dont want any trouble they usually drop their guard to those words and start bragging to their friends when they do this break them blind them bite them and let them know you meen business........TAKE NO CRAP in the end why should we.

Latest Discussions