MA Strategy

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It will be fun to have a thread that collect useful MA strategy from all MA systems. Here are the first 10 to share. Please add on your favor MA strategies.

1. Attack low before you attack high.
2. Re-block your opponent's blocking the same direction as his arm is moving.
3. Pull your opponent into your punch.
4. Pull before you push.
5. Move to your opponent's blind side so his back hand cannot reach you.
6. Guide your opponent's leading arm across his body to jam his own back arm.
7. Line up your back foot with your opponent's feet so his leading leg cannot escape from your attack.
8. If your opponent punches, use hard block to hurt his arm. If your opponent kicks, use hard block to hurt his leg.
9. Get both of your opponent's legs if you can, otherwise, get his lead leg first and then get his back leg afterward.
10. Use straight punch to attack circular punch. Use circular punch to attack straight punch.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
  1. Strike counter to your spin. This really confuses my opponents.
  2. Stutter your strike. If your opponent likes to block, a stutter in your attack can get them to create an openning
  3. Attack the weapon your opponent gives you (i.e. if they kick, attack the foot, if they punch, attack the wrist, if they grab you, attack their fingers)
  4. Attack from the side or rear if you can. Use footwork to isolate limbs.
  5. Keep your hand in their face to block their vision.
  6. Alternate big motions and small motions
  7. Control the head

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It will be fun to have a thread that collect useful MA strategy from all MA systems. Here are the first 10 to share. Please add on your favor MA strategies.
You want me to tell my secrets? lol

1. Learn to strike openings vs trying to always create one - No one is 100% defended, learn to recognize the opening and then strike there.

2. If you opponent sees your intention and blocks your attempt, then strike where he/she is open. Knowing what becomes open after someone blocks your attack will help you know ahead of time where you can strike.

3. Do #1 and #2 and you'll learn more than just kick punch, and you'll be good at it.

4. Trust the technique. Don't get into the habit of bailing out of a technique. Let your opponent bail out of his technique and take advantage of his/her willingness to do so.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You want me to tell my secrets? lol.
I know you are just joking.

A 6 harmony preying mantis master went to ER and almost died there. When he was in ER, his teacher came into his dream and blamed him for not teaching his 6 harmony PM to the public. When he got out of ER, he tried to grab any student that he could find to teach his 6 harmony PM system. He finally got hold of my friend Adam Hsu. Adam told him that he didn't have the time to study the old man's 6 harmony PM. Few years later, the old 6 harmony PM master passed away.

My senior SC brother David C. K. Lin created a DVD that his students didn't want him to release to the public. As far as I know, that DVD contains information such as "How to run your opponent down". Both he and I agreed that if a student can truly understand the principle of "run down", his fight ability can move up to the next level. Now he has passed away. That DVD will never appear on earth.

IMO, I see no advantage/motivation to take your MA knowledge to your grave if your own children don't train MA. If a tree can grow from a seed that you have thrown on the ground, you should be happy and be proud of yourself.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Advice given to my son years ago:

3 F's of fighting:

strike First
strike Fast
strike Frequent

We had a similar sign on our dojo wall, The 4-H club, which as an ode to the young man's group of long ago. We even made it a poem.

The 4-H Club

Hit first,
Hit fast.
Hit hard,
Hit last.

As to the thread and strategy, at least in striking arts -

Adapt immediately. To whatever the situation is in that moment. When you stick to being the fighter you like to imagine yourself as*....instead of adapting to what you need to be, you are already playing from behind. Playing from behind may be okay when dealing with hot air, but not when there's danger.

Train everything you do against resistance in any and all manners that you can think of. The more times it's stuck up your butt, the fewer times it will fail you in combat.

Keep your hands up.

Study the movements of the human body.

* We all fall prey to this - the sticking to being the fighter we imagine ourselves as - at one time or another early in our careers. It is especially prevalent in neophyte Black Belts. When you spar with one, spend a few minutes watching him beforehand, determine what he considers himself, then don't let him go there. The frustration is so thick you can cut it with a knife. You can even serve it with humble pie if the situation dictates.

I'd rather spar with a neophyte Black Belt, even if he was a young giant, than spar with a white belt.
But talk to the newish Black belt afterwards, help him. Always.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO, I see no advantage/motivation to take your MA knowledge to your grave if your own children don't train MA. If a tree can grow from a seed that you have thrown on the ground, you should be happy and be proud of yourself.

There's also a disadvantage if too much information gets out while you're still alive and kicking.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know you are just joking.

A 6 harmony preying mantis master went to ER and almost died there. When he was in ER, his teacher came into his dream and blamed him for not teaching his 6 harmony PM to the public. When he got out of ER, he tried to grab any student that he could find to teach his 6 harmony PM system. He finally got hold of my friend Adam Hsu. Adam told him that he didn't have the time to study the old man's 6 harmony PM. Few years later, the old 6 harmony PM master passed away.

My senior SC brother David C. K. Lin created a DVD that his students didn't want him to release to the public. As far as I know, that DVD contains information such as "How to run your opponent down". Both he and I agreed that if a student can truly understand the principle of "run down", his fight ability can move up to the next level. Now he has passed away. That DVD will never appear on earth.

This is why I'm glad the Head of the Jow GA Association that I belong to says spread Jow Ga. Which is why you have seen me post a lot of videos of him recently. The more people see the more likely someone will train Jow GA and pass it on.

I was hoping my son would take in treat but he doesn't have the "warriors spirit for it yet" Your statement is why I'll start teaching again. There's stuff approaches that I know that most Jow Ga schools don't teach. Much of it being my approach to Jow Ga and things that work for me.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's also a disadvantage if too much information gets out while you're still alive and kicking.
The secret to develop a strong head lock is to hang yourself on a pole. You let your arm muscle to carry your own body weight. To know the secret is easy. To develop the ability is hard.

MA training is all about hard work. There is no short cut and there is no secret too.

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1) try not to fight
2) it's Ok to fight if you have to
3) breath
4) finish it.
5) forget about it and move on.

Latest Discussions