Defense and offense in one move

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You deflect your opponent's punch, you then attack his throat with the same arm.

- What do you call this kind of technique?
- Does this kind of technique exist in all MA systems?

Your thought?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Crane and leopard styles as well as the wing chun sets do that. Its a goal.
It's similar to the WC Tan Shou.

The WC Bon Shou also uses the same principle. When your opponent throws a hook punch at you, you use 45 degree upward WC Bon Shou to block it. You then continue to use that arm to punch at his chest. In CMA, it's called Ha Quan or spiral punch.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gunting? could you define it? Never heard that term before. I once made the mistake of asking my Aussie friends what cricket team they were rooting for… I can still see their looks of confusion and concern.
The simple answer is what's described in the video. Depending on who you ask, it's attacking the arm, or 'defanging the snake', deflecting the arm out of the way to continue up the body. If you google "gunting fma", a lot of definitions and videos will show up.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The simple answer is what's described in the video. Depending on who you ask, it's attacking the arm, or 'defanging the snake', deflecting the arm out of the way to continue up the body. If you google "gunting fma", a lot of definitions and videos will show up.

That.

We do some boxing/MMA applications. Slapping over their right hand to put your own right hand on them for example.

About 17 seconds in. It is more of a slip counter but same sort of thing.

Old Happy Tiger

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Back in the "day"... They use to call this a "stop-hit". They say... That Bruce Lee loved doing those. Different styles of Kung fu do those types of blocks and attacks in one movement with one arm. The Kenpo that I practiced again way back in the day, use to do forearm block that would turn into a reverse punch or backfist, all in one movement.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am familiar with the movement, just never heard the word gunting before.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back in the "day"... They use to call this a "stop-hit". They say... That Bruce Lee loved doing those. Different styles of Kung fu do those types of blocks and attacks in one movement with one arm. The Kenpo that I practiced again way back in the day, use to do forearm block that would turn into a reverse punch or backfist, all in one movement.
I still call it that. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You deflect your opponent's punch, you then attack his throat with the same arm.

- What do you call this kind of technique?
- Does this kind of technique exist in all MA systems?

Your thought?

Isshinryu. A block is a punch and vice versa. We might use an upper body block and follow the attacking arm back to the attackers face with the same arm.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isshinryu. A block is a punch and vice versa. We might use an upper body block and follow the attacking arm back to the attackers face with the same arm.
Same here. Lots of variations on this. It seems to be pretty common in some boxing styles as well, that is where I saw it, or a version of it first.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not surprised, fma is far from the only art with it. It's a pretty big term in fma, but given that it's not as widespread as other arts, the term hasn't really spread much yet.
Google said it was a word originating in Malay meaning a loan from Chinese sources. There was a negative connotation to some of the context used.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They use to call this a "stop-hit".
Not really. Kung Fu Wang is talking about making contact with the opponent's arm (defensive) then continuing to another move with the same hand to strike the opponent (offensive). This is a quick 2 motion technique, and several examples can be found in TMA forms and fighting doctrine: "The blocking hand immediately becomes the striking hand." (Motobu Choki).

Then, there is simultaneously defense and offense with the same hand using just 1 motion. Ed Parker called this "single thrust, dual purpose." This is generally executing a counterattack that grazes or deflects the opponent's attack as your arm is on its way to striking the opponent. This is more aggressive application of TMA.

A "stop hit" need not make contact with the opponent's attack. Here, you are striking the opponent during his attack, before it has a chance to arrive. For example, as the attacker steps in for a punch, you fire off a front thrust kick during his advance, hitting him midway thru his step. I would also call it a stop hit if you attack as the opponent is drawing a breath and shifting his weight in preparation of his attack.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I assume this principle can be

1. Defense and offnse with the same arm.
2. Offense and offense again with the same arm (such as jab-jab, jab-hook, hook-back fist, ...).

In both 1 and 2, you use the 1st move to open your opponent up, your 2nd move then attck to the opening you have just created.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really. Kung Fu Wang is talking about making contact with the opponent's arm (defensive) then continuing to another move with the same hand to strike the opponent (offensive). This is a quick 2 motion technique, and several examples can be found in TMA forms and fighting doctrine: "The blocking hand immediately becomes the striking hand." (Motobu Choki).

Then, there is simultaneously defense and offense with the same hand using just 1 motion. Ed Parker called this "single thrust, dual purpose." This is generally executing a counterattack that grazes or deflects the opponent's attack as your arm is on its way to striking the opponent. This is more aggressive application of TMA.

A "stop hit" need not make contact with the opponent's attack. Here, you are striking the opponent during his attack, before it has a chance to arrive. For example, as the attacker steps in for a punch, you fire off a front thrust kick during his advance, hitting him midway thru his step. I would also call it a stop hit if you attack as the opponent is drawing a breath and shifting his weight in preparation of his attack.
I most often use it to hit the opponents arm as they punch or grab. It works well in any application as long as you are paying attention and are fast enough. I particularly enjoy hitting the inside of the wrist or the top of the Brachioradialis muscle. You can even bridge off that first strike.

Latest Discussions