Developing pet techniques

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ever like to focus on just one technique and practice it over and over again? Sometimes its good to only focus on a few techniques instead of trying to get good at 100 different moves, but sometimes a martial artist can develop a pet technique which is the only technique they work on, which can lead to problems.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes the art has a pet technique (i.e. roundhouse kicks in sport TKD).

When I was in middle school, I did wrestling, and I only had a few moves I was good at so I always went to those. I practiced all of them, but I was only good at those couple...

In Taekwondo, I will generally focus on one technique when I'm struggling with it, but like I said - the sport aspect (especially at the level I'm at), heavily emphasizes roundhouse kicks.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

When I was in middle school, I did wrestling, and I only had a few moves I was good at so I always went to those. I practiced all of them, but I was only good at those couple...

In Taekwondo, I will generally focus on one technique when I'm struggling with it, but like I said - the sport aspect (especially at the level I'm at), heavily emphasizes roundhouse kicks.

The ART of taekwondo most certainly does not have a "pet" technique.
Nor does the sport.
I think you kicked the nail in the ribs when you said that it's you. Not the sport. Certainly not the art.
Focusing on a technique that is giving you trouble is an excellent idea. I have told students countless times to go home and practice their least favorite technique until it becomes their favorite. Then practice the new least favorite...

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

From my experience with Taekwondo, I myself was a gold belt (third belt) in Taekwondo and I've gone to Taekwondo seminars and I know lots of people who do it or have done it, there isn't a pet technique although in most TKD schools a heavy emphasis is placed on kicking as opposed to hand techniques. What I've seen in TKD training, they try to get you to learn a hundred plus moves, or at least a lot of moves. As a beginner you will be exposed to lots of techniques. So TKD does not have a pet technique, not in most TKD schools, your particular school might emphasize the roundhouse but most TKD places don't.

If any style has a pet technique it would be Muai Thai with the low roundhouse.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever like to focus on just one technique and practice it over and over again? Sometimes its good to only focus on a few techniques instead of trying to get good at 100 different moves, but sometimes a martial artist can develop a pet technique which is the only technique they work on, which can lead to problems.

Sure. There are certain things that I like doing during sparring, that have a high success rate for me. As for SD techs...sure, there are certain techs for a punch that I like, over others. The same for other attacks. IMO, the techs, are simply a guide. I think that the more important thing to focus on, are the basics, such as block, kicks, punches, footwork, etc. By getting good at those things, you'll be able to come up with the right response, for the attack that you're facing at that moment.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have had pet techniques from time to time. One was a hip throw. I would in vision doing it against almost any techniques that was coming my way. Heck I even dreamed of ways of doing it. Then one day my instructor gave the command to start and my more experienced opponent charged so fast I had no time to think I just reacted. Thats right I threw him with that same hip throw. After that I never gave it much thought it had become a reaction

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hit on the Master key Pet technique; so, once you realize what a technique is, you are operating on a broader generalized principle. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Every fighter I've ever known has pet techniques. Kind of natural to human nature. Kind of natural to fighting, too.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well it can be detrimental if you focus on just one move. There might be some situations in which your favorite move wont work, so its good to develop at least a second pet technique. What I would say is if your favorite move is a hand strike than work on a kicking move as your next pet technique, if your favorite move is a kicking technique than work on a hand strike as your next pet technique.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I struggle sometimes to see where you're coming from… you start by saying that focusing on smaller numbers of techniques leads to greater skill in those techniques (yes), then admonish not to focus on only a few because they might not always be appropriate. So, are you saying it's a good thing to focus on a few, or a bad thing? Is there a question, or are you making a statement? Are you trying to educate people here, or are you wanting people to provide counters if they disagree (with whatever position you hold)? Assuming you want a conversation, I'll enter in that spirit.

Here's the thing: Context.

Have you come across the term "tokui waza" from Judo? Do you know what having a genuinely "pet" technique entails? It's not the same as having a small selection, in fact, rather the opposite… but when it comes to a practical skill (non-sporting), you absolutely want to look to a small number of low-risk, high-return, gross motor actions and techniques… typically not more than two or three of any category (two kicks, two hand strikes, two takedowns etc)… and you should train to apply them against any number of likely, common attacking scenarios.

So, when it comes to what, and how you train, the first thing that needs to be understood is context… where, and when, is this intended to be used? Nothing in your OP nor your follow ups seem to acknowledge that simple reality. Some systems simply won't allow you to have a "pet" technique… you're training a system, not techniques, so you give everything the same attention. You might have a preference, but that's really not your call. Others, on the other hand, will encourage you to find what works best for you, and to then focus primarily on that technique/set of techniques, which could be to the exclusion of any range of other techniques. It all comes down to the context itself.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
What Im saying is this, its a good idea to focus on a few techniques but not too many. Perhaps one or two hand strikes and one or two kicking techniques or maybe a little more. Having just one technique that you work on might not be a good idea because there might be situations where your technique wont work that well. On the other hand, trying to master too many techniques is also not a good idea because you spread yourself too thin, you become a jack of all trades master of none, so none of your techniques are as effective as if you only focused on a few.

An example of a style that only focuses on a few techniques would be Muai Thai. They mainly focus on the low roundhouse. Aside from that, practitioners work on elbow strikes, knee strikes, clinching and locking, as well as basic punches but they don't try to focus on 100 different things like some styles of Tae Kwon Do do as I've noticed from my experience with the style. So that is what Im saying, its good to have a few techniques but more than one that you really focus on, but not too many because then you're spreading your focus too thin so that it isn't really focus and none of your techniques become all that effective.

So, I tried to spell it out for you but if you still don't see where Im coming from that's not my problem.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh dear lord…

What Im saying is this, its a good idea to focus on a few techniques but not too many. Perhaps one or two hand strikes and one or two kicking techniques or maybe a little more. Having just one technique that you work on might not be a good idea because there might be situations where your technique wont work that well. On the other hand, trying to master too many techniques is also not a good idea because you spread yourself too thin, you become a jack of all trades master of none, so none of your techniques are as effective as if you only focused on a few.

And what I was saying is that that is dependant on the system itself, and the context. In a Koryu system, for example, you don't get to pick and choose your favourites… you do it all. Sporting systems have a different context and construct. Modern self defence is different again as well.

But, really, this doesn't clear anything up. You're still contradicting yourself.

An example of a style that only focuses on a few techniques would be Muai Thai. They mainly focus on the low roundhouse. Aside from that, practitioners work on elbow strikes, knee strikes, clinching and locking, as well as basic punches but they don't try to focus on 100 different things like some styles of Tae Kwon Do do as I've noticed from my experience with the style. So that is what Im saying, its good to have a few techniques but more than one that you really focus on, but not too many because then you're spreading your focus too thin so that it isn't really focus and none of your techniques become all that effective.

Really? They "mainly focus on the low roundhouse"? Seriously? So, what, the hands, knees, teeps, elbows, clinches, sweeps, takedowns etc… they're not really part of muay Thai? How much do you actually know about muay Thai?

Here's a clue… they don't "mainly focus on the low roundhouse"… it's a prominent tactical technique used to weaken the structure of the opponent, it's not the primary focus.

So, I tried to spell it out for you but if you still don't see where Im coming from that's not my problem.

You're contradicting yourself, and showing that you don't really have much understanding of the examples you're bringing up. And, as I said elsewhere, cool it with the attitude. It's not helping you… and yeah, if you're not being understood in conversation, then it is your problem. I was offering you some insight in highlighting it for you, so that you could redress it… this is not the first time (this week) that this has been remarked upon.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it can be detrimental if you focus on just one move. There might be some situations in which your favorite move wont work, so its good to develop at least a second pet technique. What I would say is if your favorite move is a hand strike than work on a kicking move as your next pet technique, if your favorite move is a kicking technique than work on a hand strike as your next pet technique.

Pet combinations. So a set of high percentage basics that support each other.

You shouldn't throw anything and not have a back up plan if it fails.

The knockout punch?

Is all of them because the low punches are used to set up the finisher.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=39VC6Gp1j0o

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh dear lord…

And what I was saying is that that is dependant on the system itself, and the context. In a Koryu system, for example, you don't get to pick and choose your favourites… you do it all. Sporting systems have a different context and construct. Modern self defence is different again as well.

But, really, this doesn't clear anything up. You're still contradicting yourself.

Really? They "mainly focus on the low roundhouse"? Seriously? So, what, the hands, knees, teeps, elbows, clinches, sweeps, takedowns etc… they're not really part of muay Thai? How much do you actually know about muay Thai?

Here's a clue… they don't "mainly focus on the low roundhouse"… it's a prominent tactical technique used to weaken the structure of the opponent, it's not the primary focus.

You're contradicting yourself, and showing that you don't really have much understanding of the examples you're bringing up. And, as I said elsewhere, cool it with the attitude. It's not helping you… and yeah, if you're not being understood in conversation, then it is your problem. I was offering you some insight in highlighting it for you, so that you could redress it… this is not the first time (this week) that this has been remarked upon.

Muai Thai does have all those techniques you mentioned, knees, elbows, clinches, ect, but they mostly work on the low roundhouse. I've trained in Muai Thai so I know. And I am not contradicting myself. And as far as not being understood, nobody seems to have trouble with that except you.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Reading this that makes me think of "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" - Bruce Lee

It's good to do many techniques, but is more effective to use a variety. I don't focus on one technique. I try and make my techniques efficient but no I don't focus on one move alone

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Muai Thai does have all those techniques you mentioned, knees, elbows, clinches, ect, but they mostly work on the low roundhouse. I've trained in Muai Thai so I know. And I am not contradicting myself. And as far as not being understood, nobody seems to have trouble with that except you.

Martial art have contradictions anyway. Don't stress so much.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It really depends on the art as to whether you really could use a 'pet technique'. In a traditional martial art, like Goju karate for example, there are a large number of techniques that you learn. In Krav Maga there are a much smaller number that you learn. But in either system what you would use in a real fight are the techniques or combination of techniques that instinctively happen.

The opportunity to strike the throat, poke the eyes or knee the groin should be taken instinctively. In a way these would be your 'pet' techniques, simple, instinctive and effective. If you combine a deflection with a trap and a strike while moving off the line to set you up for a kick to the back of the knee, you have a pet combination. Again all based on what you would do without much thought.

Some systems seem to pride themselves on complex combinations to 'train the mind'. So, if you have been training a finger lock where you have to grab the left ring finger at the second knuckle with your right hand, twist it behind his back before hooking it over his right ear as you pirouette on one foot, then I would suggest forget it. In a real situation it just isn't going to happen.

Drop Bear
got it right when he spoke of pet combinations that are high percentage.
:asian:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well it can be detrimental if you focus on just one move. There might be some situations in which your favorite move wont work, so its good to develop at least a second pet technique.
A "major move" will need many "minor moves" to support it. It's better to develop a "group" of techniques than to develop just 1 technique.

For example, assume "hip throw" is your major move, if your opponent tries to

- step in front of you, you should use "leg block" to block that leg.
- sink down, you should borrow his force, use "single leg" to throw him backward.
- pick you off the ground, you should use "leg twist" to twist your leg on his leg.
- drag you back down to the ground, you should use "leg spring" to spring one of his legs back.

So when you use your "hip throw", you should be ready to change it into "leg block", "single leg", "leg twist", "leg spring", ... whenever needed depending on your opponent's reaction. Also your waist wrapping arm should be ready to change into "under hook", "downward shoulder pulling", ... if needed.

Even if you just try to develop "hip throw", you still have to master many other throws at the same time.

Not a good idea if your opponent has stronger shin bone than yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i am not questioning anyones training or their authenticity but most Muay Thai here in the states is a watered down MMA version of the art. even if you went to Thai land and trained at some of the camps there that cater to "falung" they see you as a tourist and teach you as such. not saying its not authentic just saying that it is modern sport oriented.

as far as having a "pet" technique this is where TMA and defensive tactics diverge. fight science ( real science not the TV show) has shown that for every discision that has to be made your reaction time slowes by 50%. this means that if you have to choose between 2 different strikes or techniques you are slowing your reaction time and thus your ability to respond to the threat. science also shows us that the human brain under the threat of extreem violence seems to repeat the same action over and over. studies have shown that people traped in a burning building will continue to try to open a locked door over and over rather than look for another escape route. the same happens with strikes you will hit the saber tooth tiger with a fist over and over trying to get him to let go of your arm. the idea of having many choices my sound good but human evolution says that fewer is better. also Ronda Rousey always wins with the same technique even tho her opponents know its coming.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reading this that makes me think of "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" - Bruce Lee

It's good to do many techniques, but is more effective to use a variety. I don't focus on one technique. I try and make my techniques efficient but no I don't focus on one move alone

I do agree with Bruce Lee about that, but you also have to realize that one kick you practiced 10,000 times might not be the best move in every situation, that's why you have to develop a few other techniques, or at least a second technique, to use in situations where your first favorite move doesn't.

Latest Discussions