How I train Jow Ga forms

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
These methods may or may not apply to how you train forms or kata. I just wanted to share part of my training.

My purpose for training forms is to improve fitness and fighting ability.
Forms are practiced at 3 different intensities and focus and are done in 4 different directions (north, south, east, and west) and are trained both left and the right.

1. Slow but with focus on technique: This is done fairly slowly with a focus on correct technique and movement.
2. Powerful with technique - This is done with controlled power. Each movement has the intensity to break or injury. If a person accidentally walked into the middle of my form, then they are guaranteed to get hurt. If someone can accidentally walk into the the middle of my form and not get hurt then I'm not using enough power. Each technique is done with my maximum power while keeping control and technique
3. Speed with technique - This is done with maximum speed while keeping technique under control. The goal is to go as fast as I can without pause.

My forms are made of actual fighting combinations that can be used in real fights. The form also includes counter and evasion movements.
By default my form trains stamina, muscle memory, endurance, and provides a cardio workout. It allows me to train multiple techniques in a short period of time while getting a good workout.

Forms also make it possible for me to train my stances and stance transitions. Which helps me develop good footwork and good balance.

One of the benefits I get from doing forms is that I can pinpoint my weaknesses faster while doing a form then by drilling alone or sparring.

I can add wrist and ankle weights to my form to help me develop even more strength. I can use steel, brass, or iron rings to get some iron body conditioning while doing forms, which is a time saver for me.

In addition to forms, I do free flowing forms/ drills. The purpose of this is to drill kung fu movements and techniques that come natural to me. My techniques are based on body position and balance. The theory is that I should be able to throw some kind of kung fu technique regardless of the situation I'm in provided that I find and use a technique that flows natural for me. This type of trying makes kung fu my own and allows me to create a more personalized development. After I reach a comfort left in this training I'll add a new technique that isn't so natural with the goal of trying to figure out what movements will make that technique feel natural. I gain most of my understanding of techniques during this phase.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where do you get these iron rings?
Wing Lam has some and Tiger Claw martial arts has some. I highly recommend going to your local martial art store and have them order a set. This way you can see what they look like before you pay for them. You can also find the right ring size for you without wasting money guessing. 2 rings (1 on each arm) is enough for conditioning purposes. They are very loud to use. I haven't tried them outside yet so they may not be as loud as they are inside.

Latest Discussions