Things That Drive You Crazy In The Dojo

Syn

White Belt
Reaction score
Hmm well most of these seem to be coming from a instructor point of view so I'll put some from a student point of view.

When you and the chosen instructor who is working with you have been doing nothing but reviewing the form you're working, and you get the part you know down so well that he can't find anything to correct yet he still doens't teach you anything new. there's a few instructors at the Academy who do that, and sometimes I'll be paried up with themm alot, and it can take months just to learn a couple of moves because of it, which honestly is way too long. Though the review helps, adding on so I can review that as well helps also.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dating in the dojo and especially with senior students. People who come to take lessons cause they saw someone attractive in the studio, or senior students who fall for a white belt and start acting like asshats as a result of it.

RheaHS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
Dating in the dojo and especially with senior students. People who come to take lessons cause they saw someone attractive in the studio, or senior students who fall for a white belt and start acting like asshats as a result of it.

as long as both partners don't show any change of attitude, and behave with the proper respect, I don't see a problem. My partner and I train together after all.
Don't like the joining specifically to date though. Not a good reason for starting.

My peeves...

1) kids during their classes who mess with the adult instructors' equipment.
2) parents who send their children for no reason other than to get rid of them
3) parents who make their children carry on when they obviously hate it
4) novices who think they know it all
5) macho men (and women) who ignore a tap

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Syn said:
Hmm well most of these seem to be coming from a instructor point of view so I'll put some from a student point of view.

When you and the chosen instructor who is working with you have been doing nothing but reviewing the form you're working, and you get the part you know down so well that he can't find anything to correct yet he still doens't teach you anything new. there's a few instructors at the Academy who do that, and sometimes I'll be paried up with themm alot, and it can take months just to learn a couple of moves because of it, which honestly is way too long. Though the review helps, adding on so I can review that as well helps also.

From an instructor: "practice, practice, practice".....also "perfect practice makes perfect".....and I'll end this post by saying; "practice, practice, practice". :)

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:

Yup, that can be a huge issue. I know of an instructor that used to date a student......wait a min, I married her! That is annoying!

ronin_warrior_j

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
1. People who dont cut there damn toe/finger nails. Ive recieved some nasty gashes on my arms, legs and face from some unkempt persons nails.

2. Grappling with an ******* that hasnt washed his/her Gi in like 3 months. Or someone that obviously doesnt know what a toothbrush looks like.

3. People that walk into the Dojo with Black Belts in other arts and try to use there art during your session. If your in an Aikido class dont try and use TKD. Yes that has happened to me.

4. The parents of little kids who cant belt test because there school grades were too low getting mad at the Karate instructor. I mean come on , hes trying to motivate your kids to better grades you should be happy.

5. Poeple who take Martial Arts just so they can "put a hurtin'" on some redneck at the local bar.

6. Extreme Meatheads in the dojo.

7. Former High School wrestlers that think they can come straight in and hang with a Jiu Jitsu artist. (see extreme meatheads)

I could go all night

kodo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Uke who doesn't make me tap before releasing me.
Uke who doesn't tap to let me know when to release.
Disrespect. (for the art, for the sensei, for superiors, for dojo, for gi for peers, for self, etc.)
Throwing a gi into a gym bag without folding it or anything.
When my dad exicutes traditional Judo tai otoshi on me! *gasp*!!!

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ronin_warrior_j said:
3. People that walk into the Dojo with Black Belts in other arts and try to use there art during your session. If your in an Aikido class dont try and use TKD. Yes that has happened to me.

I have absolutely no problem with that. If I can't handle what they're throwing at me, then I obviously have some gaps in my training that need to be filled.

The thing that really annoys me is people who get so caught up into cultures of respect and tradition that they forget why they are training. The above comment about folding a gi before putting it in a gym bag. Why bother? It's just going to get washed when you get home, so who cares if it's crumpled? Whats with all the speaking in foreign languages, bowing and scraping, etc, funny ideas about not washing belts, having to wear a belt for 24 hours after you earn it, and even the entire concept of belts in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned, if something isn't facilitating easier or more effective training, then it's a waste of time.

kodo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Adept>>>> I understand where you're comming from. Perhaps I'm extreme about some things. However, if a person is extreme the other way, maybe they are sort of a bastard to the art. I don't mean that as a bad word. I guess I should find a balance where I don't lose focus of the destination, yet observe respect for the art of my forfathers that had to learn it for their lives and for their families' lives. Although I will not change any time soon, this is a great thing to think about. After all, I think the gi was originally worn as underwear to work out in. But, then again, it is a uniform, and martial means military. Dang, I'm glad I'm not in the opium scene! I would be so confused, I wouldn't know up or down!

After all that ranting, please accept my continued respect.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
6: Students who correct an instructor by saying " well sensei so and so showed me this way."

That's one that pisses me off, too.

My rule (which I learned from my teacher) is simple... If you're in their place, you do it their way. If you're in mine... do it my way.

I'll often have a student go to a clinic or train with another instructor, and come back with all sorts of stuff that's just not quite the way I was taught. That's fine; variation isn't a problem. But there's a reason why I have them do things a certain way. And since it's the way my teacher taught me, and the way he learned from his teacher... And they both have rather impressive reputations and are well-proven fighters, there just might be a reason...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
From an instructor: "practice, practice, practice".....also "perfect practice makes perfect".....and I'll end this post by saying; "practice, practice, practice". :)
Just one more expansion on that..

The student might think they know that part of the form cold, or the instructor might stop correcting it yet not move on... But that doesn't necessarily mean the student has it right yet.

I've been known to reach a point where I just let the student who's not listening and not trying to correct what I point out keep going. They don't get corrected any more... and they don't move further along, either.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
I have absolutely no problem with that. If I can't handle what they're throwing at me, then I obviously have some gaps in my training that need to be filled.

The thing that really annoys me is people who get so caught up into cultures of respect and tradition that they forget why they are training. The above comment about folding a gi before putting it in a gym bag. Why bother? It's just going to get washed when you get home, so who cares if it's crumpled? Whats with all the speaking in foreign languages, bowing and scraping, etc, funny ideas about not washing belts, having to wear a belt for 24 hours after you earn it, and even the entire concept of belts in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned, if something isn't facilitating easier or more effective training, then it's a waste of time.

I also agree with your sentiments. Honestly guys, why get so wound up about so many things? I'm not perfect, neither are my training partners. My training partners and I chat about techniques, moves we're doing, it's all done in a very cordial atmosphere. I can honestly say nothing about where I train drives me crazy.

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's a "little" something that might trigger a chuckle or two.....

I'll call it "Single Sword Overhead Cut Becomes Dual Sword Combo"

I was checking out a class once and there was a guy and a gal practicing sword timing. Well, apparently, the guy wasn't wearing underwear. On top of that, he had a hole in an unknown location in his trousers.

So down comes the cut...."SWOOSH"
Triggered by the momentum and energy of the cut, sword number 2 comes flinging out. This distracts the gal who's supposed to be evading and she ends up getting konked on the arm....thankfully.......with sword number 1.

I think of this technique when pondering......
"What kind of physical technique could you do to remove many people's desire to fight while not gaining any enemies?".

Priceless...... :D

Fu Bag

Latest Discussions