Developing pet techniques

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it can be detrimental if you focus on just one move. There might be some situations in which your favorite move wont work, so its good to develop at least a second pet technique. What I would say is if your favorite move is a hand strike than work on a kicking move as your next pet technique, if your favorite move is a kicking technique than work on a hand strike as your next pet technique.

What Im saying is this, its a good idea to focus on a few techniques but not too many. Perhaps one or two hand strikes and one or two kicking techniques or maybe a little more. Having just one technique that you work on might not be a good idea because there might be situations where your technique wont work that well. On the other hand, trying to master too many techniques is also not a good idea because you spread yourself too thin, you become a jack of all trades master of none, so none of your techniques are as effective as if you only focused on a few.

An example of a style that only focuses on a few techniques would be Muai Thai. They mainly focus on the low roundhouse. Aside from that, practitioners work on elbow strikes, knee strikes, clinching and locking, as well as basic punches but they don't try to focus on 100 different things like some styles of Tae Kwon Do do as I've noticed from my experience with the style. So that is what Im saying, its good to have a few techniques but more than one that you really focus on, but not too many because then you're spreading your focus too thin so that it isn't really focus and none of your techniques become all that effective.

So, I tried to spell it out for you but if you still don't see where Im coming from that's not my problem.

Speaking for myself, I came from a system (Parker Kenpo) that has over 100 base techs, not to mention various extensions on those techs. That said, when all is said and done, we have quite a wide array of things to pick from. However, I'd rather see that list cut in half. I mean, you can have a million techs, but if you suck at all of them....well, you should see where I'm going. However, just because I have a few punch defenses that I personally like, doesn't mean that I disregard everything else, punch related. I mean, you could have 5 different people throw the same punch at you and odds are, you're going to end up responding differently, because not everyone punches the same. Hell, I've had a student throw the same attack at me a few times, during a class, while I was teaching, and there have been times, when I've had to adjust, due to slight differences from one attack to the other.

As for Muay Thai only focusing on the low round kick...well....I'm going to disagree with that. That low kick is used quite a bit in Kyokushin, which I now train in, however, much like boxing, that only has a handful of punches, it's the way they're applied to a given situation, that makes the difference. So, while there aren't 100 different punches in MT, there are hundreds of variations, all of which are drilled, over and over. A few weeks ago, during my class, we worked on various defenses against punches, and then moved on to kicks. Some of these were strictly for a sparring setting, while slight variations, made them more SD/street applicable.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MJS said:
As for Muay Thai only focusing on the low round kick...well....I'm going to disagree with that. That low kick is used quite a bit in Kyokushin, which I now train in, however, much like boxing, that only has a handful of punches, it's the way they're applied to a given situation, that makes the difference. So, while there aren't 100 different punches in MT, there are hundreds of variations, all of which are drilled, over and over. A few weeks ago, during my class, we worked on various defenses against punches, and then moved on to kicks. Some of these were strictly for a sparring setting, while slight variations, made them more SD/street applicable.​

Well said Sir!

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I can't say I strive to develop a pet technique but I do have a few favored techniques that I tend to focus my strategy around since they are my bread and butter techniques.

For kicks its the roundhouse (head or low) for hands its the so choi (Choy Li Fut hook punch) for throws its the leg sweeps.

Since I favor those power strikes or throws I tend to use my other strikes to set them up.

For grappling its the triangle choke position since I have a huge variety of transitional techniques I can apply from that position if the submission fails.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i don't really have a "go to" move cos i don't know what i'm going up against........ so just depends on the situation - i train hard in the techniques and spend roughly the same amount of time on each although my left side is naturally weaker than my right side. --- not by much though :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't really have a "go to" move cos i don't know what i'm going up against........ so just depends on the situation - i train hard in the techniques and spend roughly the same amount of time on each although my left side is naturally weaker than my right side. --- not by much though :)

Ambidextrous? You still need to pick a side! If not, then hell, what an arsenal!

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i can start a fight as a lefty and switch to southpaw before going back to a lefty again :)

i can throw all punches/elbows/knees and kicks with roughly equal force off each side too :)

that's what drilling is all about - not having too many weaknesses and then having cover off each side to counter for your own perceived weaknesses :)

as for me having an arsenal --- LMAO :) --- no just years and years of drills, drills and more drills that give confidence in both sides of my muay thai --- i know that if i go for a right kick and it gets blocked then i can put a left kick into the same region immediately that my right kick gets blocked --- that's not having an arsenal it's just good training and more drills, drills and just for good measure some more drills oh and some more training too :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ambidextrous? You still need to pick a side! If not, then hell, what an arsenal!
I'm surprised that you would even query this. All my training has been using both sides. In Krav I don't train the guys to use both sides in all techniques but that is because Krav keeps things simple. If the Krav student has a MA background that has trained both sides then we work both sides and it gives that guy an advantage.

As soon as you move off the line of an attack you change kamae. Move to your right, you are left kamae. Move to the left and it is right kamae. Even in MMA some fighters use both sides. If you are fronting a left handler with a weapon all disarm techniques are the opposite to what you would use for a right hander.
:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you would even query this. All my training has been using both sides. In Krav I don't train the guys to use both sides in all techniques but that is because Krav keeps things simple. If the Krav student has a MA background that has trained both sides then we work both sides and it gives that guy an advantage.

As soon as you move off the line of an attack you change kamae. Move to your right, you are left kamae. Move to the left and it is right kamae. Even in MMA some fighters use both sides. If you are fronting a left handler with a weapon all disarm techniques are the opposite to what you would use for a right hander.
Bull-ongne. You have a strong side and a weak side. Deal with it. :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bull-ongne. You have a strong side and a weak side. Deal with it. :)
I'm not denying that. What I am saying is that with training you become very effective on either side. Lyoto Machida is a classic example.

With Machida, it looks like he's blitzing, but actually he's doing that next step of footwork that I was explaining to you earlier. He's steering people into his punches. I've watched tons and tons of Machida tape covering him as an analyst on FOX. I've actually stolen tons of angles from him because his angles from karate are complete opposite of any angle you see in boxing, kickboxing or anything else.

Stuff that would be off limits is not off limits in karate. He hits weird angles that nobody's seen before and he's able to do that because he's able to switch his stance. Machida literally circles towards the power side of fighters to switch to a southpaw stance in the middle of the movement and blitz forward with a straight left hand and a straight right hand. That's completely non-fundamental. He's able to do that because he's able to steer people where he wants them to set up the power. Now he's hitting you twice as hard because he's getting you to set your feet where there's no movement to counter. There's also nowhere for you to go in order to dodge the punch because all your weight is on that leg that he moved you on.
Technique Talk: Dominick Cruz and the deliberate dance of footwork - MMA Fighting
A number of MMA guys fight with their dominant hand forward.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Crikey I am having trouble enunciating myself here. Right I agree with what say here, but what I meant was being equally adept both side and wield accordingly.

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Huh? The low roundhouse may not make up the majority of Muay Thai training, but it is a very important technique that is proven at the highest levels.

Rob Kaman highlights
Ernesto Hoost
Buakaw

You don't get any more high-level than these guys.

God damn dude! I've never really been interested in Muay Thai, but watching Buakaw's kicks literally wiping out the legs of these trained fighters really gets me interested. Although brutal, history has proven that brutality means evolution/adaptation, and evolution/adaptation means you get stronger. I haven't got a school nearby, sadly, but that's definitely an interest of mine for the future.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
God damn dude! I've never really been interested in Muay Thai, but watching Buakaw's kicks literally wiping out the legs of these trained fighters really gets me interested. Although brutal, history has proven that brutality means evolution/adaptation, and evolution/adaptation means you get stronger. I haven't got a school nearby, sadly, but that's definitely an interest of mine for the future.

Actually, what places humanity at the top of the food chain is not the evolution of brutality, but of intelligence. What history actually shows is that brutality drags us down, and traits such as intelligence lift us up.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, what places humanity at the top of the food chain is not the evolution of brutality, but of intelligence. What history actually shows is that brutality drags us down, and traits such as intelligence lift us up.

I Concur :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read this book that talked about this PEACE concept. LOL If you look at history from a religious, and (sigh) astrological perspective, we are always moving into new ages, and ways of thinking. One of the issues we had and still have today is the transition from warrior class to merchant class. The book even credits Christianity for winning World War II; because both Shinto and what ever the hell Hitler was selling, both promised the people that they could go back to the way it was in the good old days, and that just can't happen. Its unrealistic! Anyways, I read another book, along these same lines that explains that entire races of people, whites included, are really messing themselves over if they don't get with the program as quickly as possible. "This is the dawning of the..." :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read this book that talked about this PEACE concept. LOL If you look at history from a religious, and (sigh) astrological perspective, we are always moving into new ages, and ways of thinking. One of the issues we had and still have today is the transition from warrior class to merchant class. The book even credits Christianity for winning World War II; because both Shinto and what ever the hell Hitler was selling, both promised the people that they could go back to the way it was in the good old days, and that just can't happen. Its unrealistic! Anyways, I read another book, along these same lines that explains that entire races of people, whites included, are really messing themselves over if they don't get with the program as quickly as possible. "This is the dawning of the..." :)

Please do not bait me here, I can't be arsed to Google. Anyway, "The dawning of the new age" is a sad indictment of humanity, we should get there earlier. prejudice still reigns supreme, and will do for some time to come, but still we are human right.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please do not bait me here, I can't be arsed to Google. Anyway, "The dawning of the new age" is a sad indictment of humanity, we should get there earlier. prejudice still reigns supreme, and will do for some time to come, but still we are human right.
While it can be about race, I am referring to ways of thinking. Civilization and what it means to be civil.
Sean

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While it can be about race, I am referring to ways of thinking. Civilization and what it means to be civil.
Sean

Thank you for the civil response, I mis read :) The ways of thinking, that usually means petty land squabbles, politicians trying the one one-one-upmanship. Thinking is for those, rightly or wrongly, that want to understand, then aspire. Of course, this can be unheard!

Tim

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for the civil response, I mis read :) The ways of thinking, that usually means petty land squabbles, politicians trying the one one-one-upmanship. Thinking is for those, rightly or wrongly, that want to understand, then aspire. Of course, this can be unheard!

Tim
As for politicians, thinking from this point of view, will help you discern what is crazy talk and what isn't. For instance, if the Republicans don't come up with a new message soon, we will be in Hillary-topia. ;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for politicians, thinking from this point of view, will help you discern what is crazy talk and what isn't. For instance, if the Republicans don't come up with a new message soon, we will be in Hillary-topia. ;)

No no, you Americans are crazy. That would be the average Brit line. As for the political line, Just stand up then.

Latest Discussions