Desperation

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of the concept of the generic "you"? Not everything is about you...
Im only stating my position on belts and rank. I obviously can't speak for everybody.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Several TKD Dojangs, a couple of karate schools, BJJ, a Sambo school, and Judo is an intramural sport in the schools and so pretty popular.
Well you said your area is semi rural so I can see how you might have some dojos in your area, but you're not likely to find dojos in the very rural areas where your closest neighbor might be miles away.

Take for instance Kansas, a very rural state. You're not likely to find that many dojos, if any at all, in most of the state. Kansas of course does have its cities such as Wichita where, if there are dojos in Kansas, would be found in such places.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
But you agree that your friend is being wronged for not being allowed to test, despite meeting the standards to do so?
I would have to have more information, exactly why would my hypothetical friend not be allowed to test if he meets the standards to do so? If he is not allowed to test that would mean that he hasn't met all the standards, somehow or another. I would also want to know exactly what system his sensei has for testing and promoting students and to have in depth knowledge on how the system works.
I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting the belt. Or, more accurately, the rank.
Of course it would be the rank you would want, at lest that's what I would want. Getting and wearing the physical belt would just be a side effect of earning the rank, icing on the cake.

Let's say you want to be a General in the US Army. It would be the rank of General and the skills and authority of the rank that you would be after, not the star that goes on your uniform. When you become a General you do get a star on your uniform but that is not your primary focus.
I have rank goals myself. And, I recently switched from a style that has renshi/kyoshi/hanshi belts to a style that uses the same black belt (no dan bars or anything) for all dan ranks, so no. It's not the belt. It's the rank.
Well yes it is the rank, and if you ask me I would say it's the skill and ability that you develop to earn the rank, that that's what you're really after.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think we should contact the sensei and have him weigh in here. We are having a discussion about how he runs his school and he has been given no opportunity for input, after all. Since it is his reputation being maligned by you on the internet, I think he deserves the chance to offer his perspective and reasons for why he does what he does.

Do you have contact information for him?
Unfortunately I do not have any contact info. It was a long long time ago on this other Internet forum (not this one) where I heard about it from this student about how his sensei requires not only skill but also patience to earn black belts at his dojo.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a purely practical sense. If your black belts are screaming duchebags. That is bad branding for the school.
Screaming douchebags, you mean like the fictional Cobra Kai students from The Karate Kid? Yes I agree that would be bad branding.
Or he just doesn't want a certain mentality around him in that capacity. A lot of martial arts schools are unashamedly social qliques and have a bunch of behavioural standards.
And I wood figure that if a student doesn't meet such standards they wouldn't last in the dojo. Such a student would be kicked out way before reaching black belt.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've done a little MMA but what I don't like about it is that from my point of view, with MMA you're spreading yourself too thin so that you become a jack of all trades master of none.

I believe MMA is best when you've already got a good background in a striking based art and a good background in a grappling based art and at that point MMA can help you combine the two.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The harder you have to work for something, the more likely you are to get a superiority complex because of it.
So are you saying somebody with a doctorate is going to have a bigger superiority complex than somebody who just has a bachelor's degree?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not have any contact info. It was a long long time ago on this other Internet forum (not this one) where I heard about it from this student about how his sensei requires not only skill but also patience to earn black belts at his dojo.
Well that’s a problem then because I am pretty certain that there is another side to the story. All we have is yours, which isn’t even first hand. It’s not credible.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry. I got your points. You shared some examples of times when you think that decisions were arbitrary. And I understand why you're saying it. You're not subtle.

I don't think you got my points. And your post above pretty much illustrates that. I don't disagree with you. You told some stories from your own experience. What's to agree or disagree with? What's clear to me is that, while you seem to have been involved in high level decision making, you don't really understand it. And that's not uncommon. It's a shame, because you might have been more influential if you did.

So, what I tried to do was to explain something to you that you don't really seem to understand. And it doesn't sound like you're ready for that, which is just fine. I thought I'd take another stab at laying it out for you in more detail, but if you're aren't ready, willing, or able, I'm cool with it. I hope you have a great weekend.

I have been involved in $300,000 to $300,000,000 decisions.
You want to make your point.
You want to say I and probably someone else was wrong because it is not exactly as you see it.
So not everything is Steve Centric, I can post about a subject and not quote you and could be about it in general and not about you.
Your point did not reach me.
Because you assumed I was wrong.
You started out with stating your points in direct opposition to what I was saying and saying I said those things.
Management 101 - Insult and loose the audience.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have been involved in $300,000 to $300,000,000 decisions.
You want to make your point.
You want to say I and probably someone else was wrong because it is not exactly as you see it.
So not everything is Steve Centric, I can post about a subject and not quote you and could be about it in general and not about you.
Your point did not reach me.
Because you assumed I was wrong.
You started out with stating your points in direct opposition to what I was saying and saying I said those things.
Management 101 - Insult and loose the audience.
I think a nerve has been struck.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well that’s a problem then because I am pretty certain that there is another side to the story. All we have is yours, which isn’t even first hand. It’s not credible.
I wish I could provide more information and more details, including contact info. I really do wish I knew more. Unfortunately I am just speaking on what I had heard from somebody who I chatted with briefly on an Internet forum, way before I joined martialtalk.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish I could provide more information and more details, including contact info. I really do wish I knew more. Unfortunately I am just speaking on what I had heard from somebody who I chatted with briefly on an Internet forum, way before I joined martialtalk.
See, that is the problem. You hear a story second-or third-hand from someone who you have no way of knowing if he is a credible source and you take it as gospel truth and never consider the possibility that there might be another side to the story. I don’t actually want to contact that sensei. I was trying to get a point across to you that you need to think a lot more about how credible a story might be when you hear things from unknown sources. I guess my point didn’t get across.

Some guy with a grievance on the internet may not be telling the whole truth. It might not be a deliberate deception because he might be telling it like he sees it, but that may still not be the accurate truth, he could be missing some things and not know the real reasons his sensei is doing something. You as the recipient of that story need to be insightful enough to recognize that there may be more to it. Don’t become that guy in the internet with a grievance. You are already really damn close to it.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a nerve has been struck.
A tired nerve.
You are an issue.
You accuse people of statements they have not made.
You insult.
and then you act like it was you who was insulted.
There is a word for that.
You have been doing it for a while and playing the long game.
I do believe the nerve was hit first on your side.
As you could not acknowledge the point until I hit you over the head multiple times.
You then still insisted that your point was correct and that I was supporting your point with data and examples and then condescendingly telling me I need to learn more about something you from your own posts know nothing about.
Once again the internet has a word for your actions.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Man, I never was a big fan of going for nerve strikes and pressure points in sparring, but both you and Steve seem to have to have mastered the skill! :D

I just re-read the last couple of pages of this thread and, for the life of me, can't see what the fussing is about. When I read your informational posts (not the ones where you are referring directly to one another) I found them mostly informative and insightful. I guess I was just missing those tiny nerve points that were being targeted.

Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just a highly subjective, intuitive thinker who took a left turn into the fine arts in graduate school, and (barely) keep the bills paid by teaching high school. Oh yes, I could have made more, even in education :confused: ...by "moving up" into administration (aka management) since I'm pretty good at spouting the buzzwords and language they use, but personally I despise that stuff.

FYI I'm the sort of person who refuses to say utilize when I mean use, and prefers terms like quiz, test and project to aligned check, evaluation and cumulative assessment. So I duck my head when the career minded, yet mentally mediocre middle managers (assistant principals and their ilk) come by to "evaluate" me and choose to stay on the front lines in the classroom where I can actually do some good. ;)

On the other hand, Rich and Steve, if you guys are actually out there fighting the good battle in the middle to upper echelons of industry, more power to you. But lets keep it chill here. After all, isn't this where we come to unwind? :)

BTW Sorry for the heavy use of those cheesy emogis, but we all see how easy it is to assume negativity when sometimes that isn't the intent. Certainly it isn't my intent. Just trying to be clear.

Last edited:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man, I never was a big fan of going for nerve strikes and pressure points in sparring, but both you and Steve seem to have to have mastered the skill! :D

I just re-read the last couple of pages of this thread and, for the life of me, can't see what the fussing is about. When I read your informational posts (not the ones where you are referring directly to one another) I found them mostly informative and insightful. I guess I was just missing those tiny nerve points that were being targeted.

Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just a highly subjective, intuitive thinker who took a left turn into the fine arts in graduate school, and (barely) keep the bills paid by teaching high school. Oh yes, I could have made more, even in education :confused: ...by "moving up" into administration (aka management) since I'm pretty good at spouting the buzzwords and language they use, but personally I despise that stuff.

FYI I'm the sort of person who refuses to say utilize when I mean use, and prefers terms like quiz, test and project to aligned check, evaluation and cumulative assessment. So I duck my head when the career minded, yet mentally mediocre middle managers (assistant principals and their ilk) come by to "evaluate" me and choose to stay on the front lines in the classroom where I can actually do some good. ;)

On the other hand, Rich and Steve, if you guys are actually out there fighting the good battle in the middle to upper echelons of industry, more power to you. But lets keep it chill here. After all, isn't this where we come to unwind? :)

BTW Sorry for the heavy use of those cheesy emogis, but we all see how easy it is to assume negativity when sometimes that isn't the intent. Certainly it isn't my intent. Just trying to be clear.

Thank you Sir, for your kind words intentions and suggestions.
Can we chill?
Yes.
It is simple.
He just has to stop writing things about me that are not true.
He just has to stop suggesting that I am doing something.
He just has to stop implying that I have to learn from him, even if he is right. Let me come to that conclusion on my own.
The issues have been over a while now , and If just acted friendly and stopped with the snide comments and writing words about what I am saying. If there is a question ask for more explanation. If not then just leave me alone.
It is that simple.
He does not have to quote me and and then try to "educate" me on his superiority and then when it is obvious he missed the points or can't justify his he says he agrees but takes one more jab about me having to learn to be better.
It is real simple. I do not reply directly to him until he quotes or writes about "Name" called out.
I ignore all his other *Insert name here for those types of actions* posts that are not a direct quote or calls my name.
To me if he don't start none there won't be none.
He can put me on ignore.
He can just be honest upfront.
He can stop thinking there is a conspiracy by members of this site / forum that does not think exactly like him that are out to get him.
I just wish it could move forward, yet when someone is so negative in one's life and you need to move on, you do not interact with them.
I have not replied to many posts and threads because he was involved with thread.
So, I guess his bullying and actions have driven me to not be as active as I would like to be.
I try from time to time to engage and then Boom there he is, being obtuse and writing things about what I am writing that I did not write.
No disrespect to you or others here.
and I do thank you for caring enough to post.
I just wish I could post freely.
I really do wish it could be possible.
I am not looking for pity or follow up comments about oh it will be ok.
All I need is him to not do the things I have listed.
I mean If i did what he did I would be reported to the staff.
I would be called out to act better.
Yet, for some reason this *Insert name for his actions here * seems to be able to bully people (myself and most likely others) into not posting, because of they way his posts change what you wrote all based upon subjective points and then accusing me (possibly others) of insulting him or being the problem.
Once again. Thank you with peace in my heart for you and your family. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A tired nerve.
You are an issue.
You accuse people of statements they have not made.
You insult.
and then you act like it was you who was insulted.
There is a word for that.
You have been doing it for a while and playing the long game.
As you could not acknowledge the point until I hit you over the head multiple times.
You then still insisted that your point was correct and that I was supporting your point with data and examples and then condescendingly telling me I need to learn more about something you from your own posts know nothing about.
Once again the internet has a word for your actions.

Rich is struggling with something and I hope he gets some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.