patience

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One of the things I believe makes a good martial artist is patience, not just the patience required to diffuse bad situations, but like when watching a really good black belt spar, you can see him watch, wait for openings, not get in a hurry, and really school his opponent. Can you train this or does it just come with experience? How would you train it?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patience starts with oneself, learning technique slowly and correctly and being patient knowing that repetition strengthens both your body, mind and technique. When it starts coming together, light bulbs go off and then you are able to start seeing your opponent. TW

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It starts with conscious effort in all parts of your training. A good drill to help you is slow motion sparring. We're talking 25% speed. You'll find in the beginning that it's extremely difficult to go at that pace, your body wants to go faster. It's a good introduction into learning that concept and it also helps you train yourself to look for openings on your opponent.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree it starts with learning patience with and within yourslef.
that slow motion sparring is an excellent example of how to start developing it on sparring. most people are unable to sparr in slow motion for any amount of time the first time they try it

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Patience is simply a matter of presence. If you're completely present in the moment, there's no need for patience.

People often tell me, "Thanks for waiting" or even apologize for it. I'm always confused when they do so. I certainly wasn't bored.

Latest Discussions