Own nunchaku, go to prison - Felony in California

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Proof? Show me an LA street Gang that bothers with nunchakus. :)

Don't see how that proves or disproves your point. It's not even an attempt to prove anything, as far as I can tell.

If you want to 'pull the race card' as you said, fine. Defend your statement.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't see how that proves or disproves your point. It's not even an attempt to prove anything, as far as I can tell.

If you want to 'pull the race card' as you said, fine. Defend your statement.
Bill, I was just kidding but the logic behind the Law was to get them off the street, not to go after people coming to and from their karate class. :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Denver used to (perhaps still does) have a great law on firearms, same kind of thing. Legal to own in the city. Illegal to transport in or out of the city under any circumstances, period. So you could own a weapon if it magically appeared to you, but not if you bought it outside the city and brought it in with you. Huh, Denver. Used to call it home, before all the Californians moved in and ruined it.

I think that went away when the state changed its CCW laws, the city isn't allowed the preempt the State permiting citizens to carry concealed. I think that change was about 5 years ago, right about the time I left Wyoming.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I wonder about that too. Same thing for some marijuana legalization laws, which leave transport, commercial sale, growing, etc, illegal, but let people possess it without penalty. Huh? It didn't magic it's way into their pipes.

Denver used to (perhaps still does) have a great law on firearms, same kind of thing. Legal to own in the city. Illegal to transport in or out of the city under any circumstances, period. So you could own a weapon if it magically appeared to you, but not if you bought it outside the city and brought it in with you. Huh, Denver. Used to call it home, before all the Californians moved in and ruined it.

Funny, I hear former Michigan residents say the same thing about Colorado folks :)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny, I hear former Michigan residents say the same thing about Colorado folks :)

Trust me, they're so shocked to find anyone moving *to* Michigan, they have no complaints about where they come from. And I have no fear of Californians ever wanting to live here.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
what's interesting is, how do you get them to the dojo in the first place? You've got to purchase, possess, and transport them to the dojo, all felonies. Once it's there, I guess you are home-free. Just don't talk about how you did it. They appeared by magic.

Once you've trained long enough, you learn to magic stuff to you?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
(a)Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(1)Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which contains or consists of any fléchette dart, any bullet containing or carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol, any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.
(b)Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:

(3)The possession of a nunchaku on the premises of a school which holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of self-defense.
(4)The manufacture of a nunchaku for sale to, or the sale of a nunchaku to, a school which holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of self-defense.
Heh!
Funny story:
When I got out of the Army I was riding Greyhound to Fresno from Fort Lewis. We had a 2 hour layover in Sacramento, where I was calmly standing outside the bus station smoking when two policemen approached me with their hands on their sidearms.
They asked what I had in my briefcase, which was sitting at my feet. Without opening it, I gave them a detailed list of its contents off the top of my head, finishing with, "oh, so, someone saw the dummy grenade and called the cops?"
Yeah, someone saw it when I went into my briefcase for a granola bar... The cops left amused after looking at it and seeing the gaping hole in the bottom of it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Trust me, they're so shocked to find anyone moving *to* Michigan, they have no complaints about where they come from. And I have no fear of Californians ever wanting to live here.

having fled from Wisconsin to California, yeah, you're right about that.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, where are all the 2nd amendment people for things like this?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, where are all the 2nd amendment people for things like this?

In my experience, most Californians think of violence as something gang members do. Any instrument of weaponry was generally thought of as evil. This is an excellent point.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my experience, most Californians think of violence as something gang members do. Any instrument of weaponry was generally thought of as evil. This is an excellent point.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
Which explains why Arnold, signed a ban on 50 caliber rifles in CA, regardless of the fact that one has NEVER been used in ONE crime here.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nunchaku were illegal in NY when I was growing up. When I bought one under the counter from the local martial arts supply store the owner smiled and said, "No tax."

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
The funny thing is, unless you've trained with them, and I don't mean just getting good at "twirling " them, if you really tried to hit someone with them, you would most likely hurt yourself just as bad if not worse.

And we all know, throwing stars will imbed in the skull.....if shot from a cannon.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And you can thank...Ronald Reagan? Yep, apparently the law was passed while he was Governor of California, and has never been repealed. It's legal to own them ONLY inside a dojo, nowhere else. Private possession or carrying them is a felony in California.
They were already illegal as a variant of a Slungshot, said law dating back to the 19th Century. This simply named 'chucks specifically.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions