Defensive approach vs. offensive approach

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the SD point of view, if a stranger attack you, you counter-attack and hurt him badly (or kill him). Is that the best way for self-defense?

Counter attack in SD means your opponent doesn't give you enough time to think.
I will do what I can to end the threat and depart. I assume there will be no time to strategize. You're the one doing the step one, step two, step three things. I will take the actions I take, which will occur without conscious thought and either work or not. That's why I train.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not train for sport or competition. If have any particular type of training, it is focused on self-defense. However, there are no methods off-limits to self-defense, so in that context I do not understand the question. My entire goal in a self-defense situation is to end the threat. If I were to be attacked, I would be doing my best to make the attack stop, using whatever methods I was able to muster at the time.

It is about developing a game. The idea is you make fighting something you do. Rather than something, someone else has taught you

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some people like to train defensively. Others like to train offensively (such as myself). In the following 2 set of videos,

- 1 is using defensive approach.
- 2 is using offensive approach.

Which approach do you prefer and why? Would you like to share your opinion on this?

1. Defensive approach - Your opponent attacks you. You counter.

2. Offensive approach - You attack your opponent. Your opponent responds.

You really need to get a life instead of posting all these, putting in slow motion and say " YOU SHOULD DO IT THIS WAY".

You ever even get into a REAL MMA competition? Do a video fighting in MMA and show and tell if you win. One win speaks a 1000 words.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You really need to get a life instead of posting all these, putting in slow motion and say " YOU SHOULD DO IT THIS WAY".

You ever even get into a REAL MMA competition? Do a video fighting in MMA and show and tell if you win. One win speaks a 1000 words.
I ask, "Which approach do you prefer and why?"

When did I say, "You SHOULD do this way?"

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I ask, "Which approach do you prefer and why?"

Just win a fight, do it on video and show to the world that those are actually useful. If not, it's just hot air.

That's one thing good about MA and fighting. Two people get into the stage, the winner walk out.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You have not answered my question.

You show the movement. I want to see you win in a real fight. talk is cheap. I was from HK, seen too many loud mouth trash talk. Show and tell. Do a fight, win, then talk.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You show the movement. I want to see you win in a real fight. talk is cheap. I was from HK, seen too many loud mouth trash talk. Show and tell. Do a fight, win, then talk.
When did Martial Talk become MMA only forum? Do we always have to bring MMA into thread discussion?

A: Defense approach vs. offensive approach?
B: I want to see you win in a MMA fight. talk is cheap.

A: Would you rather a knife or baton?

A: Should you clone your dog?

Last edited:

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
End the threat. That's my focus. As long as I am under attack, I am committed to defending myself. When the attacker can no longer threaten my safety, the attack is over and I will depart with all the alacrity I can muster.

There is no step one, two, three in my thinking. I will do what circumstances and my abilities dictate. This would be fluid by necessity.
Totally. In the FMA or our flavor of it, ending the threat is the focus. We train not for sport, but for combat. Some say that weapon centered training is impractical and only ends you up in legal trouble. We train for keeps. We train to save the life of the innocent, friends, family and us. We train not to die. We train hard and as realistically as possible without serious injury to our training partners. Hopefully we train in a way that puts the ball in our court. We to become the weapon and whatever we hold just becomes an extension. We train to choose the lethality of our “defense” through expertise. But like GM would say “…it’s better to go to the hospital than the morgue”.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When did Martial Talk become MMA only forum? Do we always have to bring MMA into thread discussion?

A: Defense approach vs. offensive approach?

A: Would you rather a knife or baton?

A: Should you clone your dog?
Again, this:
Just win a fight, do it on video and show to the world that those are actually useful. If not, it's just hot air.

That's one thing good about MA and fighting. Two people get into the stage, the winner walk out.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Again, this:
You train with a cane right? Do you test your cane training all-out and full-on, full contact until only one person walks away? Really? Do you have a video? C'mon, at least show us a few rounds at a Dog Brother's "Gathering"? You've done that, right? I mean, like me you're not even 70 yet. What's holding you back.

Honestly, Alan, what are you so worked up about. At least John has a lot of full-on Shuai Chiao competition behind him. Maybe you don't like that rule set? OK, just state that and let's move on. No reason to get so worked up. It's just a discussion. ;)

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You train with a cane right? Do you test your cane training all-out and full-on, full contact until only one person walks away? Really? Do you have a video? C'mon, at least show us a few rounds at a Dog Brother's "Gathering"? You've done that, right? I mean, like me you're not even 70 yet. What's holding you back.

Honestly, Alan, what are you so worked up about. At least John has a lot of full-on Shuai Chiao competition behind him. Maybe you don't like that rule set? OK, just state that and let's move on. No reason to get so worked up. It's just a discussion. ;)
It's just I am so sick and tired of "you do this, I do that".

SHOW AND TELL. I only look at who walk out from the ring.

Sorry that I am SCAPTICAL. I am NOT an expert, I just heard too many of those BS after they LOST the fight.

Too bad we cannot VERIFY who's the expert or who's the average guy like me here. VIDEO. I am not that good. I admitted that before. But, if you claim to be good. PROOF. Like a video. What's the point of talking all the "you do this, I'd do that" if you cannot PROOF IT ACTUALLY WORKS IN REAL LIFE?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I am ready to be banned. I just need to say it out. If I get banned. Good luck.

All I can say is get into the ring, win. Make CMA looks good. Stop complaining about rules and all that. Challenge them on the street, video tape you win. It will go viral instead of trash talk.

I am still waiting for video of CMA beating MMA regardless of level. I am waiting.

Latest Discussions