Defense or Countering a Spinning Hook Kick

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
What approaches do you suggest for countering a spinning hook kick in a Olympic style sparring situation? For argument's sake, say the competitors are in a closed stance.

One suggestion I heard is to lean back, getting one's head below the attacker's leg, and attacking with a quick roundhouse.

I'd love to learn some other approaches. Links to videos would be great, too.

Thanks!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
What approaches do you suggest for countering a spinning hook kick in a Olympic style sparring situation? For argument's sake, say the competitors are in a closed stance. One suggestion I heard is to lean back, getting one's head below the attacker's leg, and attacking with a quick roundhouse.

That's the defence I was taught and that we still teach at our club. That said, when I do a spinning hook kick I tend to leave it to the last possible second so they are really close and do it more back kick style so it comes in really tight - much harder to defend against.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
One suggestion I heard is to lean back, getting one's head below the attacker's leg, and attacking with a quick roundhouse.

Not leaning back, but rather dropping your head while turning your hip and shoulder. If you are fast, you can try to double as they are spinning. Back Kick works too. Cut Kick to the low back tail bone also works in the middle of their spin, especially if they jump. Big hujin step and narabang or back leg double works. Some people counter spin hook with a spin hook of their own. It really depends on the situation and what you have confidence in.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok you guys!!! You can, get inside the rotation. You can get outside the rotation. You can get under the rotation, and in some cases, over the rotation.:soapbox:
Sean

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But throughout all of this, remember Grandmaster's Rule #1 in sparring:

Never block with your face!

:lol:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simple cut kick to the back hip area is all that you need. The opponent will go flying away from you and hit the ground pretty hard. All that other stuff is nice if you can time it right but more than not you won't.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simple cut kick to the back hip area is all that you need. The opponent will go flying away from you and hit the ground pretty hard. All that other stuff is nice if you can time it right but more than not you won't.

I try to stay away from one and only one option advice. Everyone athlete is different, and if they don't have the ability or confidence in that one thing, then it messes them up. Also the situation may develop such that you cannot do that one thing.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hear the term "cut kick" quite often in threads concerning sport tkd. What actually is a cut kick?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The easiest way to think about a cut kick is to think about a side kick, mostly front leg, but back leg too.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear the term "cut kick" quite often in threads concerning sport tkd. What actually is a cut kick?

It is a side kick plain and simple, I have never understood the term cutkick but it works against the sport style very effectively.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as the OP question every person that does Olympic spring needs a great cut kick to be effective, but also trail and errors to see what you are able to achieve is the best advise for you. Try to see if you can jump the kick and land a double or even jam the kick and come out of the clinch with a good solid counter. Remember training with different partners and level of speed is a great way of seeing what you can do.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a side kick plain and simple, I have never understood the term cutkick but it works against the sport style very effectively.
Thats good to hear, sidekick is one of my favourites but Id always heard it wasnt effective in sport tkd. Do they alter it any way for sport purposes, or is it just a good old sidekick as we know it?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a side kick plain and simple, I have never understood the term cutkick

That's because when the term cutkick first came out in Korea in the 80's, it wasn't a side kick.

but it works against the sport style very effectively.

if you think back and forth or linearly, or otherwise don't know how to counter it.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cut kick is not just a side kick, but most people use the side kick, as it is the best way to do a cut kick. You can use a front push kick in the same manor, but it is not as effective and leaves you open for some pretty easy counters.

The term cut mean just that, to cut off someones technique. Mostly used to cut off or defend against spinning kicks used as counter kicks. Many times it looks like people attack with it but they don't, they give the apperance of a front leg round kick but then cut with it as a front leg side kick. Great to defend againt bada kicks or turning counters such as the back kick or back spin kick (spinning hook). You really are setting up your opponent to counter you so you can counter the counter. If he does not counter and slides or steps back, then you simple drop the cut leg and attack with a rear leg round kick. If he stands still then you use the side kick as a simple attack. Most people slide off or angle off, they don't just stand there.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Minute 2:55 in the video below is a great example of a stationary or defensive cut kick. He cut off the attackers spinning hook or maybe it was a simple back kick. Either way he cut it off with a perfectly place cut kick to the back hip as the person turned.
[yt]JVh_WM-A_OM[/yt]

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'd disagree that it's the same as a side kick. A side kick has a lot more chamber than a cut kick. I'd always describe a cut kick as a 70 degree/mostly turned over version of a snappy-looking push kick - than as a side kick. For example, when doing a cut kick my standing foot goes to 90 degrees away from the opponent - during a side kick my standing foot goes to 170-180 degrees.

Then, I guess it depends how much you chamber your side kicks as to whether you have this distinction.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Minute 2:55 in the video below is a great example of a stationary or defensive cut kick. He cut off the attackers spinning hook or maybe it was a simple back kick. Either way he cut it off with a perfectly place cut kick to the back hip as the person turned.

Thanks for the video ATC, the kick before the one you mention is actually an example of what we'd consider a jumping cut kick. If you look at the screengrab below it shows his body is facing forwards and his knee is mostly over rather than fully over as a side kick would be.

zjxqis.png

It's kind of like the lovechild of a lazy (in technical accuracy rather than speed) side kick and a traditional (knee to chest) push kick.

In the one you mention the hips go fully over but that's because he's trying to put a lot in to it to take his opponent off balance (we normally use a cut kick either as a feint or as a setup to something else).