When a back kick counter misses? What next?

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
In an Olympic style sparring situation, what do you suggest to do when one back kicks as counter and the kick misses the mark, because the opponent quickly moves back or to the side? What else can one to push the counter attack?

As always, video clips are of great help.

Thank you in advance.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In an Olympic style sparring situation, what do you suggest to do when one back kicks as counter and the kick misses the mark, because the opponent quickly moves back or to the side? What else can one to push the counter attack?

As always, video clips are of great help.

Thank you in advance.
The most common thing is to continue the motion and follw up with a roundkick. Another is to back kick with the other leg,double back kick.
I don't have video though:)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends on where they move. If they move straight away or to your front side, then round kick works. If they've stepped to your back side, I like jumping back kick (other leg).

What are you using the back kick to counter?

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends on where they move. If they move straight away or to your front side, then round kick works. If they've stepped to your back side, I like jumping back kick (other leg).

What are you using the back kick to counter?

Roundhouse attacks.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Roundhouse attacks.
I suggest you counter some of those roundhouse kicks by doing just what you say your opponents are doing to you. Consider your back foot is on 6:00 and move it straight though that circle to 3:00. That will put you way up the circle and out of that kick's apex. I love stopping them cold with a back kick myself, but people get wise to the same old trick's. Speaking of which you may get slapped up side the head with some crazy kick doing the counter I describe, but at least getting off the line of attack can be another avenue to consider.
Sean

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You got a few options.

1. Back kick into round kick.
2. Back kick into turning round kick (spining round kick).
3. Back kick into same leg back kick.
4. Back kick into same leg back spinning kick (back spin hook kick).

All of the above work well if your back kick misses due to the opponent faking you into kicking at air (they are not in range).

Now if you just miss and your opponent is next to you or beside you (you kick when past the opponent), then you need to work on your back kick and not miss that way. No follow up for that kind of a miss.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, sparring isn't a static event.

If the counter misses because the target moved (how dare he ;) ) then you have to close the distance.

You can use a hook or round if he moved to the side, or throw in a hop on the leg you are standing on.

Of course, if the opponent moves to the side and in, you might have to come up with some fancy handy work....and of course move out.

But in general, while it's good to have a game plan, sparring is thinking on your feet. If this technique does not work, try another. Of course for that to work you have to have more than one. Also, especially if you train with a person long enough (or have enough fights to be the subject to study) if you have a preferred technique it will show and actively countered.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
In an Olympic style sparring situation, what do you suggest to do when one back kicks as counter and the kick misses the mark, because the opponent quickly moves back or to the side?

I would suggest working on your timing and perhaps quickness rather than a follow up. If you are doing back kick as a counter to your opponent's kick or move, then they should be moving in towards you. If your opponent is able to move back or to the side, sounds like you are using back kick offensively, or they are doing a check motion and you are biting. Hogu drills should help with this.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The most common thing is to continue the motion and follw up with a roundkick.

Assuming the moving back scenario, missing on a back kick is the same situation as doing Cut Kick to the open side -- there should be an immediate back leg roundhouse coming, head or face, depending on your opponent. Roundhouse kick follow is certainly one of the available options, but I would put my back kick kicking leg down in front and do a rear arm cover, and perhaps setting for a front hand cover punch. If the opponent does nothing, then maybe you can roundhouse.

If he does a yop step on your back kick to your front side, then roundhouse kick follow is a little dangerous because of the spin hook counter probability from you opponent. If he yop steps to your back side, the roundhouse kick won't be there.

Latest Discussions