dear fighters help me :)

rambo balboa

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
greeting masters :)
i have a question about Nose cartilage
is there any training to make this cartilage very stronge??

i know this is a silly question but i dont wanna to break my nose in the ring ^_^"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no training that makes your nose strong, learning to fight properly minimises the chances of your nose being hit.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to break your nose, then don't block with it. There's no way to make it any stronger than it already is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to break your nose, then don't block with it. There's no way to make it any stronger than it already is.

I've been known to do that lol, as well as block with my face!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been known to do that lol, as well as block with my face!

Me too. But the only time it's ever been broken was at work. Sucker punched by a psych patient. Totally out of the blue, and totally blindsided me. Would have hit me behind the ear if I hadn't turned towards him.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you speak with an Ear, Nose and Throat doc they'll tell you that they have never examined a person that plays contact sports who hasn't broken their nose multiple times. We usually associate a "broken nose" with black eyes and/or with obvious visual differences than before the offending strike. But the Nose docs will tell you there are tiny breaks every time it gets hit. And it's going to get hit, no matter how well you block.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you speak with an Ear, Nose and Throat doc they'll tell you that they have never examined a person that plays contact sports who hasn't broken their nose multiple times. We usually associate a "broken nose" with black eyes and/or with obvious visual differences than before the offending strike. But the Nose docs will tell you there are tiny breaks every time it gets hit. And it's going to get hit, no matter how well you block.

My daughter was competing in a Cheer comp the other weekend (scary lol) and while she wasn't hit on the nose this time she had an almighty kick to her cheek, cut open the inside of her mouth and she came off streaming blood. I've seen noses being hit before in Cheer comps though and you can't even block! I've also seen it in rugby quite a bit as well as horse racing. Ice skaters tend to face plant a bit too though it tends to be teeth knocked out in their case.
As long as you can breathe and the nose isn't bent out of shape too much most docs prefer to leave the nose alone if they think it's broken. It doesn't hurt too much :)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's going to happen, and each time you get popped there, it hurts just as bad as the first time....oh wait that didn't sound very encouraging.

Nah, you'll be fine. Just keep your hands up.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only way to not get your nose broken in the ring is not get in the ring. It is one of the prices of entry :)

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's cartilage for a purpose, made to flex and bend , bet there are more broken noses on here per head of posters than on most other internet forums.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course there's that old martial arts myth about hitting the nose and getting the 'nose bone' up into the brain to kill someone :bs1:

( I do like that little smiley, wish I'd found it earlier lol)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's cartilage for a purpose, made to flex and bend , bet there are more broken noses on here per head of posters than on most other internet forums.

and screwed up knees, hips, shoulders, fingers,............

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, getting your nose broken is just a part of life! And, in my opinion, getting your nose broken is actually strengthening your nose!

Why?

Well, just like anything else. When I attended Shotokan Karate, the instructor used to have the male students of higher ranks stand there while he kicked them in the testicles. Why would someone do that? Well, if you are kicked in the testicles over and over again, if it happens in a real fight, do you think it will be as effective on you?

We "condition" our limbs in my current school. We partner up and bang our forearms and shins together so when we block incoming strikes, it doesn't hurt...As a result, you wind up going "all out" with your blocking, because it doesn't hurt, and at that point, even something as simple as blocking would hurt an ordinary fellow. You wouldn't even have to throw a punch at them, your blocks would do the damage!

So, getting hit in the nose sucks, but if you get hit in it enough times, if, God forbid, you ever had to defend yourself in a real life situation, you may just laugh it off as you would be unaffected by it!

I am by no means telling you to get hit in the nose on purpose! Keep your guard up and you won't get hit in the nose! I am just simply reiterating the old saying, "What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger!"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a name here for people who like to kick men in the nuts, we also have a name for those who let them.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, just like anything else. When I attended Shotokan Karate, the instructor used to have the male students of higher ranks stand there while he kicked them in the testicles. Why would someone do that? Well, if you are kicked in the testicles over and over again, if it happens in a real fight, do you think it will be as effective on you?

I'm sorry, but this is just nonsense. Getting kicked in the testicles over and over again will do nothing but injure yourself and possibly very badly. They were not getting kicked in the testicles. I've seen what you are referring to. Even been a part of demos doing it. Notice how thier hips were tilted when they were being kicked? It is landing the kick on thier backside, making it look and sound like the kicks are landing in the testicles. There is iron groin training, but it takes years and years and getting kicked there is not part of normal training.

Latest Discussions