Dan Grading

J

JanneM

Han-Mi said:
I guess it is Inderectly WTF.

Does that make sense?:idunno: I'm tired agains. So let me know if you need more info on it.
I'm sorry no. It's not making any sense.
Unfortunelty WTF does not issue dan grading. There was only a brief moment in history when WTF (World Taekwondo Federation) was issuing dan grades and that was over some 20 yrs ago. Unfortunetly your (nor mine) training background does not go that far so your cewrtificates must be school certificates. Made perfectly with kukkiwon curriculum and superviced by masters of Kukkiwon and/or WTF but still school certificate. (Or independent accosiation)

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Guys,

Just a random comment...my Dad had a 3rd Dan certificate issued by the WTF in I goes 1971 or so!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
JanneM said:
I'm sorry no. It's not making any sense.
Unfortunelty WTF does not issue dan grading. There was only a brief moment in history when WTF (World Taekwondo Federation) was issuing dan grades and that was over some 20 yrs ago. Unfortunetly your (nor mine) training background does not go that far so your cewrtificates must be school certificates. Made perfectly with kukkiwon curriculum and superviced by masters of Kukkiwon and/or WTF but still school certificate. (Or independent accosiation)
O.k. know-it-all. I guess I just like to think a little more of my certification. It is a kukkiwon certificate but no kukkiwon certified number. I guess it's like you say, just authorized through the grand master who happens to work close with the kukkiwon. Oh well, good nuff for me.

Thanks for the info now, at least I won't sound so ignorant in the future.

J

JanneM

I didn't mean to hurt your fealings Han-Mi.
My thought may not allways come out as I mentioned them tus English is not my native language.

As Spookey proved WTF DID in fact issue dan certifications but has not done so in over 20yrys. This was only thing I was trying to say.

You are happy with your teachers and the teaching you get, then that is fine for me. :)

Peace man!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
...... Because of the expense of Kukkiwon certification, ....My instructor .......... tested in Korea for his 4th dan and was judged by the grandmasters of the Kukkiwon, but still did not recieve Kukkiwon certification(again, because of the cost) So I guess it is Inderectly WTF....
Han-Mi, whenever there is a mention someone not certifying through Kukkiwon because of the cost, it is sort of a red herring for me. I don't know what anyone's financial circumstances are, but the cost for Kukkiwon certification has not changed in many years and are very reasonable IMO. Off the top of my head, they are:
$70 for 1st dan
$90 for 2nd dan
$120 for 3rd dan
$150 for 4th dan

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miles said:
Han-Mi, whenever there is a mention someone not certifying through Kukkiwon because of the cost, it is sort of a red herring for me. I don't know what anyone's financial circumstances are, but the cost for Kukkiwon certification has not changed in many years and are very reasonable IMO. Off the top of my head, they are:
$70 for 1st dan
$90 for 2nd dan
$120 for 3rd dan
$150 for 4th dan

Miles, is that the cost through Kukkiwon directly or through USA TKD? I thought Kukkiwon doesn't certify US directly, that it is all through USA TKD now. Or do some masters/grandmasters still go directly? BTW, those aren't even close to what I was told. TW

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tw you can register straight through Kukkiwon if you desire or USA TKD the cost is the same as I told you in the past Master and Grand Master put that hugh fee not the Organization itself, this is why I choose to be on the outside with no ties to anyone it helps me keep my fee's way below market. Have a good night.
Terry Lee Stoker

J

Jim Tindell

Miles said:
$70 for 1st dan
$90 for 2nd dan
$120 for 3rd dan
$150 for 4th dan

Miles
Whaaaaat?! That's not what I'm paying.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like Terry, I deal directly w/Kukkiwon. I used to send some applications thru the USAT but they changed their rules. With Kukkiwon, you just mail it off but the postage is about $10 to mail a regular envelope to Korea. I get the certificate back in about a month (KKW processes US applications on the 5th and 20th of each month, and it takes about a week for the mail to get to Korea).

Kukkiwon does not charge the high fees. It is the instructors who charge for their processing of the application. I have seen and heard of all kinds of charges. In my school I charge $150 for 1st dan. I only issue KKW certificates. But, I also have a decent day job ;>) and don't rely on TKD to make a living or even to pay for itself. My students get a new dobok, belt w/embroidery, and eventually their certificate. I can also be selective as to when someone is going to test (or not test as the case may be).

Miles