Coordinate your punch with back foot landing, or with leading foot landing?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you step forward and punch, do you like to coordinate your punch with your back foot landing, or with your leading foot landing?

What's the difference in your opinion? Please share your thoughts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Leading foot. You connect with the power from driving off the rear foot.

If you connect with the rear foot then your forward momentum has already ended.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you guys think the following basic training make sense?

Start with both feet touching together. I'm trying to simplify the leading hand punch (jab) and back hand punch (cross) as the following:

1. Jab coordinate with back foot:

- Step in right foot.
- Slide in left foot and punch right hand at the same time.

2. Jab coordinate with front foot:

- Step in right foot and punch right hand at the same time.
- Slide in left foot.

3.. Cross coordinate with back foot:

- Step in left foot.
- Slide in right foot and punch right hand at the same time.

4. Cross coordinate with front foot:

- Step in left foot and punch right hand at the same time.
- Slide in right foot.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Both...... because you are kind of supposed to throw one punch and if you only ever move one foot you will wind up doing the splits.

Moving both feet is literally how you travel from one point in space to another.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you step forward and punch, do you like to coordinate your punch with your back foot landing, or with your leading foot landing?

I do both, very much situation-dependent. Roughly, I'd say pushing off the back foot (so, closer to coordinating with the movement of the front) drives power from the pressure on that leg. Coordinating with a slide of the back foot drives power from the movement of the body, rather than driving from the ground. Both of those are conceptual differences, more than actual physics, I think, as both methods are probably getting power from the movement of the body mass; they just feel different. I'm probably significantly less likely to do a slide-jab than a slide-cross.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taiji seems like to coordinate strike with the back foot landing (at 4.00 - 4.30). I can't find any Taiji move that coordinate strike with leading foot landing.

Do you think some MA system only train one way but not both?

I could see that being a primary principle of a system. It seems unnecessarily restrictive to me, but I think that about most systems. I can't remember ever seeing anyone in NGA teaching a punch coordinated with the back foot landing, for that matter. Mind you, I didn't see a lot of folks teaching their punching (it's rather under-emphasized in general), so it might just be something I never saw.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm probably significantly less likely to do a slide-jab than a slide-cross.
Can you find any easier way to train slide-cross than this?

Adam-Baji-Fajin-2.gif

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My method, is movement, I can use my legs, or back to generate power, but it all comes from adapting to whats in front of me, my response is governed by my linking my breath and movement, in response to my opponents tension, I do not rely on elements of my body to create power, but can use them as you do, it could be discribed as the grey man theory, I hide my skill, until needed, and respond accordingly, movement is my power, my opponents movement,and tension, in stance, or movement in intension, is my guide, never stop moving, never stop breathing, never stop watching, never stop feeling, never stop learning, that is my method.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have done traditional srts, and beleive these skills taught are fundamental to basic skills, but the problem arises when you limit yourself to one school of thought, one way of training, the main problem with styles is, you are moulding individuals to a style, that in part or full, does not suit that persons capabilities or body, yes they can be moulded to conform to a degree, but I beleive its far better, to find what suits yourself and your body, I am not suggesting a couch potatoe can develop a style to beat an mma champ, without hard work, and basic skills need to be taught, but there comes a time when a single style no longer suits, and no matter how loyal you are to a style, you need to be truthful with yourself, unless you are truely happy with what you are doing, its time to move on, I can beleive and truely beleive the world is flat, but i am wrong.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My method, is movement, I can use my legs, or back to generate power, but it all comes from adapting to whats in front of me, my response is governed by my linking my breath and movement, in response to my opponents tension, I do not rely on elements of my body to create power, but can use them as you do, it could be discribed as the grey man theory, I hide my skill, until needed, and respond accordingly, movement is my power, my opponents movement,and tension, in stance, or movement in intension, is my guide, never stop moving, never stop breathing, never stop watching, never stop feeling, never stop learning, that is my method.
What you have just described is too abstract for me.

Without video it's difficult to picture what you are talking about. Do you have any video to express what you are saying?

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What you have just described is too abstract for me.

Without video it's difficult to picture what you are talking about. Do you have any video to express what you are saying?

The following is a basic training drill, in short movement, It may take a stylised ma, a couple of watches to understand, the movement we create can be subtle, and isolated to a specific area.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Continual movement is my objective, this second video is a bit longer and covers some basic movement principles, and towards the end, how some of these principles could be executed, sorry about the music.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Back foot on floor and leading foot landing, for power. But for speed, often I cannot land the back feet, only the leading feet.

Latest Discussions