Land your foot inside of your opponent's foot

D

Dylan9d

It wasn't a sweep. It was a failed /countered foot hook. Here's what happened and why it failed. I went in for a foot hook with the purpose of pulling his lead lead forward.
I failed at it because of bad aim (my foot lands high above the ankle), Bad timing (I tried to do the technique while he was cutting an angle). My sparring partner was trying to punch then shuffle backwards at an angle. Because of that angle that he took, I was no longer able to pull that leg to me. As he was coming out of the movement for the angle cut, he just simply pulled his leg back and it pulled my leg out to the left. If you were to see an original clip you will actually see the look of amazement on his face that I was on the ground. In reality, it was a fluke on his part, he moved at the right time, in the right direction and it destroyed my plan A. On my part, it was bad timing and the reality of sparring / fighting. Sometimes your opponent will move in ways that you don't expect. The only thing that I did right was keep my eyes on him after the fall, which should be a habit for people, just in case someone what to soccer kick heads that day.

When I make videos I try to show my failed attempts as well as my successful attempts. The :24 mark that you pointed out is a good example, of how it's possible hook the foot even if a punch is coming in.

There is a big difference between a shin bite as the OP described it and a foot hook as you attempted on the video. It is good though to show your failed attempts too indeed, you can only learn from those. I must say though, turning your back to your opponent is something we certainly don't do in Pukulan and the Silat that I was taught.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We'd need to play with all of them in demo mode first, anyway, to make sure my "natural" reaction doesn't do something bad (which wouldn't take much with my Crappy Knees™).
Here's the "Shin bite" version of we train. You'll need the background information since it's a short clip.
The the instructor was talking to me about a video that we saw: This video
He didn't think it was a good exercise and he was trying to figure out what he wasn't understanding or if he was missing anything in the video. That conversation led into a discussion about the mechanics of what was trying they were doing in the video and that let to "shin bites." we don't have a name for the technique in Jow Ga as far as I know of. It's a real technique that we used, it's just that I've never heard of a name for it and it always comes up in the discussions about stances. What you see in the clip with me and the other instructor, happens after we talked about the connection of the legs and how, if the connection of the leg is too small.

Click here to see me do a version of the Shin Bite. This video should load fast. since it's in the website video library.
In the video he does the technique twice. The first time I was able to give with it. He didn't push beyond the extension of my leg. The second time he did it sooner than I expected and I wasn't able to flow with it. Me falling backwards wasn't faked. It was a result of pressure being applied to my knee in a way that made me want to quickly relieve it. Even though this wasn't a drill. It was clear to me, that the instructor could easily hyper extend my knee if used a more explosive push with his shin. In the video we are higher than we need to be for this technique to work efficiently, but it was a discussion so correct technique wasn't important, just the understanding of the concept.

The same thing concept can be applied to the shin as long as you aren't in a high stance like we were.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a big difference between a shin bite as the OP described it and a foot hook as you attempted on the video. It is good though to show your failed attempts too indeed, you can only learn from those. I must say though, turning your back to your opponent is something we certainly don't do in Pukulan and the Silat that I was taught.
I just posted a recording of me using the same concept that is used in a shin bite. It wasn't done in free sparring because of the high risk for damaging the knee, even if pressure isn't placed directly on the knee.

You have to be specific because i turn my back to my opponent all the time. It's intentional. Sometimes I want to telegraph and sometimes I want to bait.

If you are talking about the sweep at :27 then that is a telegraph. I wanted my sparring partner to know it was coming so that he would have enough time to react to it.

If you are talking about the sweep at the end of the video, then that was my first time attempting a sweep like that. The plan was to let him take an angle and while he was in the process of cutting that angle I would take away his root, giving him nothing to stand on. I was betting that his stance wasn't going to be very wide and it was a little wider than I expected, which is why he didn't fall. If you watch the video you will notice that he was trying to take me down. My sweep broke his structure and his takedown failed. Had his stance been a few inches smaller he would have landed on the ground probably with a pulled groin. I slowed the video down at the end so people can see the sweep attempt. I kept turning clock wise so he would have to continue to chase me, it's also that circular movement that made his leg hooks ineffective. Once I got my arm around his neck I made him carry most of my weight while I used his body as a crutch to help keep me standing. I also try to make my opponent carry my weight incorrectly so that he'll strain his back if he attempts to lift my root. It's not cruel because most experienced fighters can feel bad lifts before they do them, and as a result they don't do them. I have about 3 or 4 videos with different people showing me doing this so it's not a fluke. Just an understanding of what they need to lift me. If I can take that away then the lift become more difficult and the risk of back injury increases.

D

Dylan9d

Here's the "Shin bite" version of we train. You'll need the background information since it's a short clip.
The the instructor was talking to me about a video that we saw: This video
He didn't think it was a good exercise and he was trying to figure out what he wasn't understanding or if he was missing anything in the video. That conversation led into a discussion about the mechanics of what was trying they were doing in the video and that let to "shin bites." we don't have a name for the technique in Jow Ga as far as I know of. It's a real technique that we used, it's just that I've never heard of a name for it and it always comes up in the discussions about stances. What you see in the clip with me and the other instructor, happens after we talked about the connection of the legs and how, if the connection of the leg is too small.

Click here to see me do a version of the Shin Bite. This video should load fast. since it's in the website video library.
In the video he does the technique twice. The first time I was able to give with it. He didn't push beyond the extension of my leg. The second time he did it sooner than I expected and I wasn't able to flow with it. Me falling backwards wasn't faked. It was a result of pressure being applied to my knee in a way that made me want to quickly relieve it. Even though this wasn't a drill. It was clear to me, that the instructor could easily hyper extend my knee if used a more explosive push with his shin. In the video we are higher than we need to be for this technique to work efficiently, but it was a discussion so correct technique wasn't important, just the understanding of the concept.

The same thing concept can be applied to the shin as long as you aren't in a high stance like we were.

The video on your website shows it exactly how it is applied in Silat, we also have methods to apply it to the back leg, and I know that it hurts when applied correctly :D

Than my remark still stands, we never use this as an opener or to set someone up, for us it's a takedown the same as a sweep.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The video on your website shows it exactly how it is applied in Silat, we also have methods to apply it to the back leg, and I know that it hurts when applied correctly
Videos definitely help clear things up ;)

Latest Discussions