Coordinate your punch with back foot landing, or with leading foot landing?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Continual movement is my objective, ...

We are talking about different things here.

In this thread, we are

- not talking about your opponent steps in, you punch him while you have both feet on the ground.
- talking about your opponent is standing still, you step in from a far distance and attack him.

Adam-dynamic-punch.gif

Adam-dynamic-punch-1.gif

Lin-shoulder-strike.gif

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In this thread, we are

- not talking about your opponent steps in, you punch him while you have both feet on the ground.
- talking about your opponent is standing still, you step in from a far distance and attack him.

So its your ball, and your not playing anymore?
Ok

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Continual movement is my objective, ...
So its your ball, and your not playing anymore?
Ok
This thread is as simple as when you step in and attack your opponent, do you coordinate your strike with your

1. leading foot,
2. back foot, or
3. none.

In your posts and videos, I don't know if you prefer 1, 2, or 3.

If you prefer 3, please offer your opinion.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it important to coordinate your hand with your foot in MA training?

Of course when you sit on a chair, you may only move your hand without moving your foot. But that's a special case and not a general case.

Your thought?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it important to coordinate your hand with your foot in MA training?

Of course when you sit on a chair, you may only move your hand without moving your foot. But that's a special case and not a general case.

Your thought?
I think it's important to coordinate the hand with the body. That may or may not mean coordinating specifically with the foot. Said a different way, I'm using the movement of that large mass (most of the body) and its structure when I'm using my arm. Whether that includes movement of a foot (and whether that foot's movement is timed with the hand's action) depends upon many things.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it's important to coordinate the hand with the body.
When you teach beginners, it's very difficult to explain how to coordinate hand strike with body. Coordinate with which part of the body, and how?

I try to use just 1 simple concept to explain power generation. IMO, to coordinate hand with foot is the easiest way. After that, I can then add detail such as:

- back leg bending,
- weight shifting.
- hip rotation,
- body twisting.

I may exaggerate the foot stepping so the stomping sound can match with the hand striking (for training purpose). In fighting, both feet should be just "sliding".

The training can be as simple as:

- Step in leading foot.
- Step in back foot and punch at the same time.

In the following clip, the hand striking is coordinate with the leading foot landing.

Adam-punch.gif

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you teach beginners, it's very difficult to explain how to coordinate hand strike with body. Coordinate with which part of the body, and how?

I try to use just 1 simple concept to explain power generation. IMO, to coordinate hand with foot is the easiest way. After that, I can then add detail such as:

- back leg bending,
- weight shifting.
- hip rotation,
- body twisting.

I may exaggerate the foot stepping so the stomping sound can match with the hand striking (for training purpose). In fighting, both feet should be just "sliding".

- Step in leading foot.

In the following clip, the hand striking is coordinate with the leading foot landing.

Adam-punch.gif

By the way. I can see the issue with wrestling shoes. I would want a bit of absorbing under me for that.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

- back leg bending,
- weight shifting.
- hip rotation,
- body twisting.

- Step in leading foot.

Adam-punch.gif
The flaw in you arguement can be clearly seen in the April 7th 2001 fight between Naseem hammed v barrera, front foot placement (stamping), and angles, will become overcome with short, efficient striking.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You mean like Dempsey's "Falling Step Punch?"
Here's Allanson-Winn's description:

In the lead off, say
at your adversary’s head, you raise the left foot slightly and
advance it swiftly along the line in the direction of the
enemy for a couple of feet or so, simultaneously hitting out
with your left hand quite straight at his head, and without
any previous indication of the movement, and without any
drawing back of the arm.
In this forward longe the weight of the body should be
thrown into the hit with a spring off the right foot, which,
however, should not leave the ground, and remember that
—though I use the word “simultaneously”—the hit should
have reached its destination a fractional part of a second
before the left foot touches the ground.

Allanson-Winn Lead Off
by lklawson

Allanson Winn pp16 left lead
by lklawson

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You mean like Dempsey's "Falling Step Punch?"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
A real qualaty strike, but most training nowdays seem to telegraph it, through the style of training, so it becomes unnatueral, and this makes it very readable.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The 1st strikes I was taught was, jab cross hook, weather the hook was body or face, followed by the uppercut, push or step forward, head to 3 oclock, rise to 11 oclock, repeat, it worked for a while, he he

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Linking foot stamping to a strikr, IMO, makes you readable

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hip and shoulder rotation, cutting this motion, pulling of the shoulder, depends on fi you through or whip, the strike

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The flaw in you arguement can be clearly seen in the April 7th 2001 fight between Naseem hammed v barrera, front foot placement (stamping), and angles, will become overcome with short, efficient striking.

Sort of. There are reasons you might enter in that fashion.

And you can see how the rear foot moves to coordinate with a rear punch.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is probably, the only time we agree, its a training video, but adaptation is key, never knocked mma for that, but have stated many a time, adapting to whats in front of you, is supirior to speed, strength etc, if you cannot adapt to whats incoming, then you are relying on luck, not skill

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A real qualaty strike, but most training nowdays seem to telegraph it, through the style of training, so it becomes unnatueral, and this makes it very readable.

Not really. You disguise a strike by having multiple attack options with the same footwork. And being generally sneaky with the timing.

So provided you are not only ever doing that strike with that footwork. You should be ok.

It is basically the same reason head kicks work, pretty much.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dempsey called it the shoulder whirl.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Yes he did, and I think its relevant today, use all of your body, to block, or strike an opponent, in my area of ma, there is a gentleman named dk yoo, really fast, some call him the next bruce lee, yes hes fast, real fast, but this is what annoys me, celebrities of fashionable arts ,producing media that detracts from the art, I often wonder how mr Yoo wouldcreact to someone actually tryining to smash his face in, with a baseball bat, I would like to see if he could keep his cool, like he teaches his students.
I have learnt a lot over the years, but nothing works as good as a good, hard smack in the face.

Latest Discussions