Jack Demseys Drop step

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can do Jack Dempsey's drop step and its awesome as is Mr Dempsey.

But I dont understand one thing.

On a normal boxing punch lets say a right cross, the weight is shifted from the rear foot to the front foot. So your weight starts heavy on the right foot while in your stance and gets transferred via hip rotation to your front left foot as the punch lands.

Well with the drop step right cross you start with the weight on the front foot, you then get pushed off the rear foot, and your hip rotates, to throw the punch. You get extra weight and speed from the drop step. BUT you started with the weight on the front foot and it stays/ is always on the front foot, theres no weight shift from the back leg to the front leg its all upfront for the entire punch.

Is that the correct way to do it?

I have found a way to keep my weight back as I drop step forward I shift it back mid flight so I can transfer it forward as I land.

My question is, is it better to always keep the weight forward or is it better to transfer it from rear to front? (when using the drop step)

I hope someone is advanced enough to be able to answer this.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My question is, is it better to always keep the weight forward or is it better to transfer it from rear to front? (when using the drop step)
When you throw your right cross, if most of your weight is on your right back foot (30% front foot and 70% back foot), you can move your left front foot forward and "coordinate your right cross with your left front foot dropping". You can't do that with most of your weight on your left front foot to start with. Without being able to move your left front foot forward, your mobility and punching distance may be restricted.

IMO, it's better to transfer weight from rear to front when you throw your cross. To always keep the weight forward is not a good idea.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key word is DROP. Instead of a horizontal (sort of) or mostly lateral shift, you're using gravity and that drop motion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On a normal boxing punch lets say a right cross, ...

The term "cross" is to have both

- downward force, and
- horizontal force,

at the same time.

cross.jpg

Most people will train "downward force" first, and then train "cross force - both downward force and horizontal force" later in the following 3 stages:

You throw a cross

1. without moving both of your feet, but just add "drop" into it.
2. but only move your front foot without moving your back foot while add "drop" into it.
3. by advancing your front foot, slide your back foot (both feet are moved) while add "drop" into it.

All 1, 2, 3 may have the same "drop", but

- 3 has more horizontal force and punching distance than 2, and
- 2 has more horizontal force and punching distance than 1.

IMO, all 3 training are needed.

Last edited:
OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
The term "cross" is to have both

- downward force, and
- horizontal force,

at the same time.

cross.jpg

Most people will train "downward force" first, and then train "cross force - both downward force and horizontal force" later in the following 3 stages:

You throw a cross

1. without moving both of your feet, but just add "drop" into it.
2. but only move your front foot without moving your back foot while add "drop" into it.
3. by advancing your front foot, slide your back foot (both feet are moved) while add "drop" into it.

All 1, 2, 3 may have the same "drop", but

- 3 has more horizontal force and punching distance than 2, and
- 2 has more horizontal force and punching distance than 1.

IMO, all 3 training are needed.

You really helped me thanks a million friend! I really appreciate your highly advanced knowledge!

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
The key word is DROP. Instead of a horizontal (sort of) or mostly lateral shift, you're using gravity and that drop motion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Thankyou kind sir, your knowledge is awesome and this answer was also really helpful, thanks a million friend!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can practice this stuff anywhere if you leave the punch out. You leave your weight right where it is, centered. Then you simply and quickly bring your lead foot to the rear, and land the punch before you catch your fall with the other foot. You can also, half step back, or leap forward, and make the lead foot that catches, your back foot using the same concept. :)

OP
T

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can practice this stuff anywhere if you leave the punch out. You leave your weight right where it is, centered. Then you simply and quickly bring your lead foot to the rear, and land the punch before you catch your fall with the other foot. You can also, half step back, or leap forward, and make the lead foot that catches, your back foot using the same concept. :)

:) Awesome thankyou friend!