Conflicting instruction from senior black belts

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You sound very similar to my instructor. He has the same philosophy.

Thanks but it really was my first instructor way of teaching that I just borrowed over the years. I try to convey eveything in my school the way he did, we had alot of great people there and it was a wonderful place to train. Man do I ever miss those days when people could talk and converse about different ways to teach and make techs work. Now days to many are hung up on a unified approach to everything and that leaves very little dvelopement in TKD anymore.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks but it really was my first instructor way of teaching that I just borrowed over the years. I try to convey eveything in my school the way he did, we had alot of great people there and it was a wonderful place to train. Man do I ever miss those days when people could talk and converse about different ways to teach and make techs work. Now days to many are hung up on a unified approach to everything and that leaves very little dvelopement in TKD anymore.
I agree, it just makes sense that a 6 and a half foot guy who is as skinny as a rake is going to use certain techs differently to someone who is knee high to a grasshopper and is of a thick set build. There are som many techs and the thing I love about ma's is that you can tailor what you are taught to suit your own build, coordination, flexibility etc

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
TMan do I ever miss those days when people could talk and converse about different ways to teach and make techs work. Now days to many are hung up on a unified approach to everything and that leaves very little dvelopement in TKD anymore.

I disagree that too many are hung up on a unified approach. I don't know anyone who teaches exactly the same way as they learned. The closest I think is Juan Moreno, who is doing the mostly the same drills that he learned as an OTC Resident Athlete under GM Dae Sung LEE. I think you see the technical standards becoming unified because of competition, but the way people get to that technical standard is very individualized. Not everyone incorporates weight training for their students, for example, for poomsae or sparring.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I disagree that too many are hung up on a unified approach. I don't know anyone who teaches exactly the same way as they learned. The closest I think is Juan Moreno, who is doing the mostly the same drills that he learned as an OTC Resident Athlete under GM Dae Sung LEE. I think you see the technical standards becoming unified because of competition, but the way people get to that technical standard is very individualized. Not everyone incorporates weight training for their students, for example, for poomsae or sparring.

You maybe be right, I know around me it seems certain group all train the same way. There are a few individuals like Tubbs as you know that goes against the grain.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was shocked to learn that some junior or senior team members never do hogu drills, that they don't even know how to hold the hogu when receiving kicks or punches. that should be a standard drill for everyone training for sparring competition. How you do the hogu drills is according to the individual instructor, but everyone should be doing them.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was shocked to learn that some junior or senior team members never do hogu drills, that they don't even know how to hold the hogu when receiving kicks or punches. that should be a standard drill for everyone training for sparring competition. How you do the hogu drills is according to the individual instructor, but everyone should be doing them.

I can only agree with you, hogu drills should be a requirement when sparring.