Wing Tai

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi!

There is a Wing Tai school not far from my place and although they only give one lesson/week, it would make a good addition to my main MA. This style has been founded by Ong Tai Heinrich Pfaff in Germany and seems to be based on Wing Chun, Muay Thai and other martial arts (I recognized some Kali Eskrima moves).

Does anyone here know more about WT/train in it?

Here's a video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I can tell you there's no wing chun in there. Seems very much like a case of "jack of all trades, master of none."

OP
O

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah so it looked to me. It could be nice to try in order to be well-rounded but I definitely wouldn't make it my main art. It reminds me of some military fighting styles designed to be taught quickly.

I don't know anything about Wing Chun but since Heinrich Pfaff claims to have gotten a master level from the European Wing Tsun Organisation I thought he would base his system on it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah so it looked to me. It could be nice to try in order to be well-rounded but I definitely wouldn't make it my main art. It reminds me of some military fighting styles designed to be taught quickly.

I don't know anything about Wing Chun but since Heinrich Pfaff claims to have gotten a master level from the European Wing Tsun Organisation I thought he would base his system on it.

Looks to me like he's packaged some of the "pre-programmed" WT fighting moves from the EWTO (similar to some of their "Blitz Defense" stuff) the EWTO escrima program, and a mix of kickboxing, high kicks, etc. Minus the flash, it would be functional, but has kind of a chop suey flavor, at least as presented in the video. Wing Tsun/Wing Chun is a tight system. IMHO blending it with Muay Thai/kickboxing kind of messes up the efficiency that makes WC/WT so functional. Don't get me wrong. I understand the advantages of cross-training --as long as you don't mix it all up, including some very contradictory approaches. But then I'm a "keep it simple, stupid" kind of guy.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is very difficult to "mix" Wing chun with another art. The engine that drives WC is not the same as used in almost every other martial art. Unless the WC is understood to a great degree, mixing the art with something else waters it down to something far less that it really is.

Latest Discussions