Close Quarter Knife Throws

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some various practical close quarter knife throws ive been working on lately. Ive trained this while sparring with polypropylene knives, but wanted to show them sticking.

OP
Christopher Adamchek

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It wouldnt be the most common thing but

- if i have more than one knife on me (as i tend to)
theres actually a Filipino saying on having 3 knifes "1 to throw, 1 to use, 1 to give to a friend"
- could give a shock scare to your opponent and an opening for escape that might not have been had other wise
- opponent is just out of range after a swing, or they know they will be on my swing, ill let if fly then close the gap and take advantage of the thrown knife continue the attack and maybe try to reclaim my weapon or take theirs if they have one

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m gonna guess that there may be some serious legal and criminal ramifications for sticking someone with a throwing knife. It does rather imply that the fellow was out of reach and therefor more difficult to justify self defense.

Throwing knives are fun, so play away; you don’t need further justification than that. But justifying what you are doing under the guise of self defense may not be the best presentation.

OP
Christopher Adamchek

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
@Flying Crane - it would be a serious legal matter, throwing knives is really fun but my justification isnt under the guise of self-defense

These throws can have an advantage in knife combat (legality aside) be that in the street or just training with others

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m gonna guess that there may be some serious legal and criminal ramifications for sticking someone with a throwing knife. It does rather imply that the fellow was out of reach and therefor more difficult to justify self defense.

Throwing knives are fun, so play away; you don’t need further justification than that. But justifying what you are doing under the guise of self defense may not be the best presentation.

Not how that works.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It wouldnt be the most common thing but

- if i have more than one knife on me (as i tend to)
theres actually a Filipino saying on having 3 knifes "1 to throw, 1 to use, 1 to give to a friend"
- could give a shock scare to your opponent and an opening for escape that might not have been had other wise
- opponent is just out of range after a swing, or they know they will be on my swing, ill let if fly then close the gap and take advantage of the thrown knife continue the attack and maybe try to reclaim my weapon or take theirs if they have one
I've heard two similar supposedly Filipino phrases, but neither involve giving up the blade. The first is "carry 6 knives. 2 for you, 2 for your friend, 2 for his friend." The second is the same as the first, but halve the numbers.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Flying Crane - it would be a serious legal matter, throwing knives is really fun but my justification isnt under the guise of self-defense

These throws can have an advantage in knife combat (legality aside) be that in the street or just training with others
Your previous post gave the impression you were looking at this from a self defense application point of view. If that is not the case, thank you for the clarification.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

I dont see how there could be legal ramifications there is no requirement to be within reach to use deadly force. People utilize guns from outside of reach in self defense.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont see how there could be legal ramifications there is no requirement to be within reach to use deadly force. People utilize guns from outside of reach in self defense.
I think that would depend on where you live. If you live somewhere with a duty to flee, then throwing a knife could suggest that you had the ability to flee.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It would depend on whether the attacker is armed or not. But if he is not armed and is outside of reach it may be more difficult to justify sticking someone in the leg with a throwing knife.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It would depend on whether the attacker is armed or not. But if he is not armed and is outside of reach it may be more difficult to justify sticking someone in the leg with a throwing knife.

It doesn't really work that way either.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that would depend on where you live. If you live somewhere with a duty to flee, then throwing a knife could suggest that you had the ability to flee.

21 foot rule?

Anyway the dude is slashing then throwing. One backwards step does not a disengagement make.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
21 foot rule?

Anyway the dude is slashing then throwing. One backwards step does not a disengagement make.
Just for reference, this is the relevant part of the law in my state
2. A person may not use deadly physical force upon another person
under circumstances specified in subdivision one unless:
(a) The actor reasonably believes that such other person is using or
about to use deadly physical force. Even in such case, however, the
actor may not use deadly physical force if he or she knows that with
complete personal safety, to oneself and others he or she may avoid the
necessity of so doing by retreating; except that the actor is under no
duty to retreat if he or she is:
(i) in his or her dwelling and not the initial aggressor; or
(ii) a police officer or peace officer or a person assisting a police
officer or a peace officer at the latter`s direction, acting pursuant to
section 35.30; or
(b) He or she reasonably believes that such other person is committing
or attempting to commit a kidnapping, forcible rape, forcible criminal
sexual act
or robbery; or
(c) He or she reasonably believes that such other person is committing
or attempting to commit a burglary, and the circumstances are such that
the use of deadly physical force is authorized by subdivision three of
section 35.20.

With that said, there's a bit of leeway in there. Mainly in whether or not the person can fully retreat safely. To me, in a situation where you disengage and throw a knife, you're not yet fully safe. A good lawyer though could probably convince a jury otherwise. And I would bet that part of that argument would be that the person either A: felt safe enough to throw away his weapon, therefore should have felt safe enough to run, B: had already proven that he was capable of creating space and therefore was capable of fully disengaging and leaving without continued use of a deadly weapon.

Unfortunately I've seen people argue more idiotic things then that a person with the ability to throw a weapon could have run away.

As a parallel, there have been a few times where someone shot someone five feet away, when the other guy had a knife and was aggressive. Plenty of people around me said that the 21 feet thing was false, even if I showed them proof. With a jury of my peers, those are the people that would decide if I was justified to throw my knife at the guy.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let me clarify then...

If you can justify deadly force...it does not matter if you throw it or keep it in your hand.

There is no requirement to be within in arms reach in any state.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- if i have more than one knife on me (as i tend to.
You can throw the Baoding ball and cause as much damage as your throwing knife.

- It's 100% legal to carry.
- You can also hold in your hand to punch.
- If you play baseball, you are already 1/2 way there.

Baoding-ball.png

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me clarify then...

If you can justify deadly force...it does not matter if you throw it or keep it in your hand.

There is no requirement to be within in arms reach in any state.
In general you're right, but what that justification is depends on the state/country. And even if you're justified, in america, you'll have to convince a bunch of people with no legal training or real knowledge that you were justified to throw your knife at the guy.

Latest Discussions