Charity challenge

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi apologies for replying again as I was just going to ignore your comment. However i thought a better response from me was required. I thought your comment was pretty tastless and diverted attention from the hard work my community and I had done to raise £420 for save the children.
I haven't really posted in this forum as much as you have so perhaps this maybe the kind of comments and perhaps banter that occurs. If so I apologise if I have taken umbrage to quickly.
Best wishes
Yusuf
I'm glad you've raised money for charity, but you title was strikes and your vid had no strikes, it's at best misrepresentation, it's similar to someone saying they have done a sponsored run for charity, and it turns out they did it in a bike, the charity still get the money, but it's not right really to take money, even for charity by not doing what you were sponsored for. Unless you made it cleAr to the sponsors it was sponsored stick waving you were doing, in which case it just the title of the video that's unrepresentative

OP
Y

Yusuf Uddin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your entitled to your opinion. In Aikido these are known as sword strikes it is solo training. Just like when you shadow box do you through a punch or wave your fist. Of course you are throwing a punch you might not be hitting someone but you are still throwing a punch. I have provided you with a response I will now choose to ignore you as from your first post I get the impression your someone who likes to troll other posts. I do not wish to waste my time on engaging further with you. All the very best.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your entitled to your opinion. In Aikido these are known as sword strikes it is solo training. Just like when you shadow box do you through a punch or wave your fist. Of course you are throwing a punch you might not be hitting someone but you are still throwing a punch. I have provided you with a response I will now choose to ignore you as from your first post I get the impression your someone who likes to troll other posts. I do not wish to waste my time on engaging further with you. All the very best.
Well yes you are throwing a punch, but your punch is not striking anyrhing, so it's not a strike, if you punch a bag it is a strike, if you were hitting something it would be a strike, but your not, so it isnt And you haven't got a sword, just a,stick

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well yes you are throwing a punch, but your punch is not striking anyrhing, so it's not a strike, if you punch a bag it is a strike, if you were hitting something it would be a strike, but your not, so it isnt And you haven't got a sword, just a,stick

The bokken is a sword lol and he is right in Aikido they are classed as sword strikes ...like in any Kata

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The bokken is a sword lol and he is right in Aikido they are classed as sword strikes ...like in any Kata
In the same way my nephews plastic pirates sword is a sword, ok it's a Toy sword, though my nephews version does at least look like a,sword

Aikido classes falling over( a lot) as fighting, it's not really the go to place for defintions

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the same way my nephews plastic pirates sword is a sword, ok it's a Toy sword, though my nephews version does at least look like a,sword

Aikido classes falling over( a lot) as fighting, it's not really the go to place for defintions

Well all I can but say is your nephew's toy sword if he hits you with it may sting a bit ...If you take a bokken strike you will not be a happy camper lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well all I can but say is your nephew's toy sword if he hits you with it may sting a bit ...If you take a bokken strike you will not be a happy camper lol
Well yes, if he every actually hit anything, I'm sure it would do some damage, but So would a baseball bat and that not a sword either,

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well yes, if he every actually hit anything, I'm sure it would do some damage, but So would a baseball bat and that not a sword either,

no and yes a bat would smart a bit that is for sure

Mind you Miyamoto Musashi was said to have fought duels with bokken lol

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I haven't done much weapon training, our chief instructor ( who has done a lot) has shown us how to use a bokken as a weapon in it's own right, not as a substitute. We've used it against Bo as well as other bokken. I'd like to do more with a bokken but simply don't have the time at the moment.
I really wouldn't want to do more than a few strikes with one as I can imagine I'd end up completely knackered so I'd consider doing that many for charity amazing. I have been hit on the arm with a bokken, yes it was a big 'ouch', I though my arm was broken. I imagine a good strike would break a head quite easily.

My instructor said when he learnt to use a bokken he was told it was actually a better weapon than a 'metal' sword in the past as the steel making was a hit and miss affair at times so the blades were prone to breaking at inconvenient times whereas a good strong bokken would not.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've fought dUals with a Brokken bottle, that doesn't really prove anything

Yeah it does lol...it proves that I no pick a fight with you if there any bottles around lol...or have any attendant check you for bottles before a duel just in case you gonna cheat lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah it does lol...it proves that I no pick a fight with you if there any bottles around lol...or have any attendant check you for bottles before a duel just in case you gonna cheat lol
When I was a youngster, the first thing I would do when I went in a clubWAS buY a bottle of coke, pour it away and tuck the bottle in my waist band, Came in handy on numerous occasions, I couldn't get my hammer past the doormen

OP
Y

Yusuf Uddin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While I haven't done much weapon training, our chief instructor ( who has done a lot) has shown us how to use a bokken as a weapon in it's own right, not as a substitute. We've used it against Bo as well as other bokken. I'd like to do more with a bokken but simply don't have the time at the moment.
I really wouldn't want to do more than a few strikes with one as I can imagine I'd end up completely knackered so I'd consider doing that many for charity amazing. I have been hit on the arm with a bokken, yes it was a big 'ouch', I though my arm was broken. I imagine a good strike would break a head quite easily.

My instructor said when he learnt to use a bokken he was told it was actually a better weapon than a 'metal' sword in the past as the steel making was a hit and miss affair at times so the blades were prone to breaking at inconvenient times whereas a good strong bokken would not.

Great post and appreciate the feedback. The challenge was hard and painful HaHa.
Altogether it took me 5 hours 17 mins but what was most hard about it was that I did it whilst I was fasting in Ramadan. So was very tough and I'm still feeling it today.

I did it to set a good example to my students who are predominantly teens and children. That's why I raised the money for save the children.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I was a youngster, the first thing I would do when I went in a clubWAS buY a bottle of coke, pour it away and tuck the bottle in my waist band, Came in handy on numerous occasions, I couldn't get my hammer past the doormen

lol where were you hiding your hammer lol ...ok I get it you were trying to get a sledge hammer in lol...I guess walking with that stuck down your trouser leg would be a give away...mind you I gotta ask how many clubs now have a stock of your old hammers the doormen confiscated lol???

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol where were you hiding your hammer lol ...ok I get it you were trying to get a sledge hammer in lol...I guess walking with that stuck down your trouser leg would be a give away...mind you I gotta ask how many clubs now have a stock of your old hammers the doormen confiscated lol???
I had an inside pocket in my jacket, though not designed was perfect for putting a hammer in, you could also get a pint ofBITter in there if you were leaving before you had finished,

No hammers confiscated but severAL knives before I settled on plan b

Some guy was conning at me with a big kitchen knife once, pulled my hammer out and he went off the idea completely

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
ok what was plan b ...the coke bottle lol

You should read the book about Hagiwara juzo ...he a man you'd really like lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok what was plan b ...the coke bottle lol

You should read the book about Hagiwara juzo ...he a man you'd really like lol
It was just like that in Manchester in the 70s, three fights a night, some times you hadn't got of the bus before your first fight, and the bus station at 3am resembled a war zone

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but what was most hard about it was that I did it whilst I was fasting in Ramadan.

I can imagine! We have had MMA fighters on our shows who fast then fight, they joke about not needing to weight cut but in reality it's not easy.

Latest Discussions