chakra/chi/ki in live combat

Yuukiharu

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the site but let's just dive right in; do any of you actually use chakra or chi in live combat or know anyone who does? This is a serious question. I know people who train their chi flow but don't use it in a fight to enhance there abilities. I do and I feel it helps but I wanted an outside opinion. If you disagree with me or think its all bs feel free to tell me. I'm just.... Curious I suppose. Any information would help. Thank you in advance.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What, exactly, do you mean by "using chakra or chi in live combat"?

Because when you say that, this is what I imagine:
2746606-ironfist_kick.jpg

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the site but let's just dive right in; do any of you actually use chakra or chi in live combat or know anyone who does? This is a serious question. I know people who train their chi flow but don't use it in a fight to enhance there abilities. I do and I feel it helps but I wanted an outside opinion. If you disagree with me or think its all bs feel free to tell me. I'm just.... Curious I suppose. Any information would help. Thank you in advance.
Firstly, welcome to MT. :wavey:

This is déjà vu. I came on MT years back with a similar question. I copped an enormous amount of flack because Chi/Ki is a subject that divides in a very emotive way. Many of those who haven't experienced Ki deny it's very existence and those of us who do train with Ki have vastly different ideas of what Ki means. So having said that, I'll sit back and see where the discussion goes.
:asian:

OP
Y

Yuukiharu

White Belt
Reaction score
Like using your child, ki, qi, spirit, whatever you wanna call it to hit harder or move faster or change the type of damage you cause. Shao Lin monks use it and breathing exercises to break stones or harden there body's. Look up the 72 arts of shao Lin for a little more info. Anyways I'm an mma fighter and I use these same techniques but a lot of people I see only use them in demonstrations and not in a real fight you know?

OP
Y

Yuukiharu

White Belt
Reaction score
@k-man: ah, thanks a lot. Just knowing there's someone else out there thinking what I think makes me feel better. Also I too kind of just want to see other people opinions on the matter but any additional info from someone who trains there spirit would be better

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like using your child, ki, qi, spirit, whatever you wanna call it to hit harder or move faster or change the type of damage you cause. Shao Lin monks use it and breathing exercises to break stones or harden there body's. Look up the 72 arts of shao Lin for a little more info. Anyways I'm an mma fighter and I use these same techniques but a lot of people I see only use them in demonstrations and not in a real fight you know?
What you are describing here is 'hard' Ki. It is very easy for people to understand without thinking things are mystical. 'Soft' Ki is much harder to find, much more difficult to comprehend and for most people difficult to learn to use effectively.

OP
Y

Yuukiharu

White Belt
Reaction score
Huh? What do you mean by soft ki? Like the type used for general health and mental ability? Or like that guy who starts fires and heals people with his ki? I'm extremely interested cuz iv heard of the different types of ki and the different chakras in and around the body but I haven't heard them described as hard and soft. Sorry if this is a bit much haha

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Huh? What do you mean by soft ki? Like the type used for general health and mental ability? Or like that guy who starts fires and heals people with his ki? I'm extremely interested cuz iv heard of the different types of ki and the different chakras in and around the body but I haven't heard them described as hard and soft. Sorry if this is a bit much haha
Perhaps a Google search for soft Ki in Aikido will give you some insight. Koichi Tohei was the top exponent. It enables techniques to be performed effortlessly without physical strength.

Sadly, nothing to do with lighting fires or magical feats.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with qianfeng. We all use it all the time, whether we grasp it or know how to channel it or not.

OP
Y

Yuukiharu

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you k-man, that helps a lot. And to qianfeng I know we allbuse it whether you know it or not I meant more along the lines of intentional use

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my lineage of Wing Chun we don't call it chi , we call it Nim Tao (mind force).

But whatever you want to call it , what's really fascinating is that it can be transfered into another person to increase the power of their technique.
As in this example where Sigung Tsui is able to send it through his student by touch and later through his eyes.

[video=youtube_share;C9Byn23m6RM]http://youtu.be/C9Byn23m6RM[/video]

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my lineage of Wing Chun we don't call it chi , we call it Nim Tao (mind force).

But whatever you want to call it , what's really fascinating is that it can be transfered into another person to increase the power of their technique.
As in this example where Sigung Tsui is able to send it through his student by touch and later through his eyes.
This video is an example of one of the first steps on a long road. It is an example of redirecting your mind. In this simple form it is assisted by the biomechanics of relaxing the bicep, the same as the 'unbendable arm. A lot of people will call it a Ki 'trick' but it is not a trick, it is an exercise to help develop your use of Ki. By relaxing the arm and reaching out you are not clashing with your partner's downward force. You are in fact redirecting his force away. Same thing when looking into the teacher's eyes. Instead of thinking about lifting the arm you are thinking about looking into the eyes. You are no longer physically clashing with your partner. So I would not call this a transference of Ki. In my experience I have never seen that and to my understanding it would not be really possible as you already have Ki. What is shown in this video is an example of how you can begin to use the Ki that everyone has.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is another one where he is transmitting force through a row of people.

[video=youtube_share;m4cfRFmv7Tw]http://youtu.be/m4cfRFmv7Tw[/video]

OP
Y

Yuukiharu

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow, this turned out a lot better than I expected ^_^ thank you k-man and mook jong man; I sincerely appreciate your help. Now I'm really interested in trying to figure out that sending force through people thing

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow, this turned out a lot better than I expected ^_^ thank you k-man and mook jong man; I sincerely appreciate your help. Now I'm really interested in trying to figure out that sending force through people thing
I have been looking at some of Chu Shong Tin's videos. There is some interesting material there. It is very similar to some of the things we do. Not so much the sending force through people as his explanation as to how he is doing it. In another video he talks of training on two levels. The second level is using the mind. The Japanese have three levels (Shuhari) but finding someone at that third level is not easy.

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmm... i guess you can do a little qi gong to help you calm down and breathing out when you punch are the main uses i guess.

Latest Discussions