Calling Somebody's Dojo A McDojo Is Offensive

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It was a typical,"Hey, Y'all - Watch this!" moment.
screengrab.jpg

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Calling somebody else's dojo a mcdojo, on this forum or anywhere else, I would like to point out that's very offensive. A dojo where somebody has invested their time and dedication, to bash their dojo is very bad manners. Im saying this because I've experienced some of that on this forum myself.
If A dojo teaches nonsense that doesn’t help a student learn to defend themselves it’s a McDojo.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If A dojo teaches nonsense that doesn’t help a student learn to defend themselves it’s a McDojo.
I understand your sentiment, but there are many ‘legitimate martial arts’ that won’t help the student consistently defend themselves against an uncooperative, fully-resisting, aggressive assailant.

I think a McDojo is one where the provenance of the techniques is deliberately misrepresented to lend the art an air of ancient superiority because all know, old things are much better than modern things 🙄😉

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So.... according to you, every Kenjutsu school is a McDojo? It's not exactly useful for defending yourself in todays world.
Mider was attempting to put together a definition of McDojo but perhaps it was unintentionally simplistic. Perhaps adding a phrase such as ‘….useful in the context of the art’s time and place’ might’ve extended it’s usefulness a little!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worked alright for me last time someone tried to do a home invasion - chased him off with my bokken.
My teacher sometimes says that anyone can kill with a sword and without any training: it’s a 72cmish razor blade after all! I’d suggested anyone can chase off an assailant with a bokuto, without any training as it’s essentially a large club!😃

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
... there are many ‘legitimate martial arts’ that won’t help the student consistently defend themselves against an uncooperative, fully-resisting, aggressive assailant.

List?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Vai
Guthrie Govan
Allan Holdsworth
George Lynch
Tony MacAlpine
Vernon Reid
Tosin Abasi
Andrés Sergovia
Eric Johnson
Edward Van Halen
Warren Cuccurullo
Jan Cyrka……

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Steve Vai
Guthrie Govan
Allan Holdsworth
George Lynch
Tony MacAlpine
Vernon Reid
Tosin Abasi
Andrés Sergovia
Eric Johnson
Edward Van Halen
Warren Cuccurullo
Jan Cyrka……
You said "legitimate martial arts," not names of individuals.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said "legitimate martial arts," not names of individuals.
Oh! You just said ‘List?’ and I thought you required a list of things from me. I chose a list of my favourite guitarists

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than me presenting a list and risk offending the practitioners of a particular art…a gentleman and a (retired) scholar would never do such a thing… perhaps a thought experiment that allows one to draw-up ones own list is in order?

One of the better definitions of an effective combat art is ’one that consistently perform against an uncooperative, fully-resisting, aggressive opponent’ With this in mind, a good example of an uncooperative, fully-resisting, aggressive opponent might be a ‘mixed martial arts‘ competitor. Let’s make them of equal experience to the artist being tested in terms of years practising (Colin MacGregor would be an unfair tester in my opinion, but if that’s who you choose in your thought experiment, then so be it). Now, in your mind, place this MMA fighter in an octagon with the art who’s effectiveness you wish to test. Visualise the testee resplendent in their red satin silk uniform, shiny sash a-waving as they warm up and throw their punches and possibly their kicks. ‘Ding, ding’ the start bell rings…what happen…? Win or lose? Do they go on the list or not?

There are quite a few Youtube examples of this kind of thing that might help you if you’re struggling with a potential outcome.

Latest Discussions