Choosing a dojo

OP
G

GouRonin

If it was me, I'd opt for the Judo. Plus without glasses Judo allows for you to "feel" to do techniques with less sight involved.

OP
J

J-kid

Really depends on the judo instructer i think judo is a great Martail art for self defense and fun sport aspect , My coach teachs us Judo Jujutsu and all other forms of Jacket fighting, It get ruff when your hurt but i Really like it and has shown me alot about fighting, Conbine Judo/Jujutsu with a strong standing Martial art and you have a GReat chance of winning a fight. I cross train to get stand up to go with my judo/jujutsu its made me one tuff teenager, But with great power comes great respawnsiblity so i dont go around attacking people or anything, UFC fighting thats a whole nother storie, Your friend judo kid!

Lauriesthree

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a question - any one have a referral for a solid teaching dojo in overland park, Kansas? I have a 9 year old interested in studying Tae Kwon Do. I took a while back and I think my Grandmaster was a good teacher. But I didn't feel his personality was right for my son.

His son'r now have studios of their own, and the one my son took his trial calss through is a 6th degree Dan and very good with the kids. My complaint is, the classes can be very crowded in the beginner kids class and the push for contracts is annoying.

Anyone have a thought they'd like to share?

Sanchin-J

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well Amanda,
I think you've heard a good bit of feedback but I couldn't resist answering anyhow because we've been put under the magnifying glass a few times by critics of our style due to the belt system and unusual methods used to determine promotions.

Some say our system allows promotions to come too rapidly, while others claim that it takes too long between certain belts. The martial art your looking at sound very familiar to Sanchin-Ryu with the exception that we're focused on a different form of actual Karate, perhaps clinging more to an Isshinryu (sp?) type of approach, rather than a Kenpo/Kempo approach. However, the progression you make in the belt ranking system of a martial art depends on how the instructors choose to grade and what they are specifically looking for. I've seen students come into our art who didn't have a full working knowledge of the CBAs (combined advanced basics) yet were promoted as high up as purple belt because they exhibited the understanding of the art which was what the instructor was looking for over anything else.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't overly happy about the way the student was reviewed and tested, and I certainly wouldn't use that method myself, but at the time it was acceptable and it was not and is not my place to question an instructor's methods. I think what I would be looking for would be;

- A keen understanding of the fundamentals.
- Fluidity in the execution of the techniques.
- A proper execution of the techniques.
- A proper understanding of how techniques are used to create strategy.

Of course, the things we look for change as the student advances, but once again, it really depends upon the art and the instructors as to what your graded on. Sanchin-Ryu often gets placed under heavy criticism for the simple fact that some of our masters are 7th or 8th dan and they aren't ancient Okinawans with long white hair and sweeping white robes, most are middle aged men and women. What most fail to realize is, your true education and experiences in our specific art don't really begin to even take off until you reach black belt, which does in fact change the rate of progression you may experience in the earlier belts. Each style handles this whole system of promotion a little different than the next, your best bet is to voice your concerns to the instructors and have a nice sit down.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Loads of good advice but you can think about all this stuff a bit too much. Go along and have a couple of sessions, after getting stuck in for a couple of sessions you'll have an idea whether it's what you're looking for or not.

Latest Discussions