Buying a gun for the first time?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a gun in the future. Right now, I'm thinking for recreational target shooting, not hunting and not for personal defense.

I shot a 22 rifle in scouts waaaaay back when, so that's about the extent of my experience.

I'm thinking go the same route this time, small round, low cost, low maint, low recoil, for blowing the snot outta evil paper targets. :)

Any suggestions, recommendations, cautions, etc?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
A similar thread came up fairly recently..... a lot of use recommended the Ruger 10/22 and I'd stay with that given the activities you are planning. One of the most versatile and 'customizable' firearms ever created; It is simple, reliable and user friendly.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ruger 10/22

Remington 700

Savage 22

You really cannot go wrong with any of those.
icon6.gif

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
However Bob for versatility ie. meaning not just target practice but home defense as well I would go for a 12 gauge shot gun or a 9 mm handgun. Either would provide hours of fun on the range and yet have the versatility of being an excellent choice for home defense.
icon6.gif

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ruger 10/22 is a good choice, but honestly I'd go with a 9mm. It's versatile and fairly lightweight so you can use it for target practice. Additionally as someone pointed out, you have to option of using it for home defence. Go with Glock and you'll have minimal care to worry about.

David

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm liking the look of the Ruger 10/22 over the Savage 22. Not really looking for a shotgun right now.

What are the low cost options on the 9mm side, if any? Mind you, I'm looking at rifles, not pistols at the moment. Pistols are on the "once I've moved to Texas" list. :)

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Bob, didn't realize you didn't want a handgun at the moment, but I doubt that you want a shotgun for target practice.

David

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't. Something about them, doesn't feel "me" if that makes sense?

As far as handguns go, I've always been partial to the luger, but there's a part of me that wouldn't mind something "old west" like. Then again, I honestly know nada here.

Journeyman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you like the "old west" vibe, you might prefer a .22 lever action like the Marlin 39a or one of the lever action Henry rifles over the Ruger 10/22. The Marlin is a classic with only minor changes since the days Annie Oakley used one.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The sound of a pump action shotgun's action cycling is a singular sound that cannot be mistaken for anything else. That sound alone will make people stop in their tracks...
Cost... Well, that is one of those areas you want to be careful, by and large, you get what you pay for.
Recoil,
While a 12ga has a pretty solid recoil, you have to balance between recoil and usefulness. Maybe a 410 would be good for you, less recoil and still, the benefits of being a shotgun.
As far as target practice is concerned you can't beat a Rifle or handgun chambered in .22LR the ammunition is cheap and plentiful.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bob,

For a .22 rifle the Ruger 10/22 simi-auto. For the pistol, the Ruger MkII or MKIII. I'd get the stainless versions as I'm a lazy bum at cleaning. So lazy I have a Glock 26 9mm for practice and IDPA (and I rarely clean it) and a Glock 27 .40 for carry.

Now if you want to go into formal match .22 rifle and pistol shooting, I can point you to some real good match rifles and pistols, but those two above are very good shooters.

Now for low cost 9mm, on the Sig P6, the police version of the Sig 225, is awful good for the price. Usually around $300 to $350..

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/778/products_id/411534870

This is just one source. Google and you will find others. Just get a FFL dealer near you to order it.

I can tell you, since I own one, they are very good 9mm pistols. Single stack mags that hold 8 shots. Shoots like a rifle. Of course, being Sigs, they have outstanding workmanship. They have holster wear but NO wear on the inside! Very good guns.

Deaf

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
For a .22 rifle, either the Ruger 10/22 or the aforementioned Henry lever action.

What are the low cost options on the 9mm side, if any? Mind you, I'm looking at rifles, not pistols at the moment.

There aren't many 9mm carbines that I'd really recommend...Ruger made one for a while (the PC-9), Kel-Tec makes one that seems to be okay, and Hi-point makes one that apparently isn't too bad for a "plinker." I personally wouldn't bother with any of these as I don't think you're really accomplishing anything. Basically all they are is a big pistol so you're not gaining any substantial power over a pistol in the same caliber, and you're spending more to shoot it than you would with a .22

(yes everyone, I know it's easier to shoot a carbine accurately and there are situations where some argue that a pistol caliber carbine is a better choice than a real rifle, but he wasn't asking about defensive use).

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, what are the options that would work well for both recreational and defensive? I know nothing. :)

Weight and recoil are to big concerns, so an AK47 would be a bad idea for me. LOL!

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
An AK-47's felt recoil is actually pretty tame. 7.62 x 39 isn't a bruiser round.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok, maybe I meant a 38? 35? 357? 747? LOL!

sjansen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, what are the options that would work well for both recreational and defensive? I know nothing. :)

Weight and recoil are to big concerns, so an AK47 would be a bad idea for me. LOL!

Ruger 10/22 for a rifle. You will not find anything cheaper or more accurate for the money. Even for more money the ruger 10/22 will drive dimes. If you want a pistol like a lugar the rugar MarkII is your best option. However, I feel that the best .22 on the market in the pistol range is the browning buck mark. Both the ruger and the browning are very acurrate. Both are hard to clean. The buck mark is a little easier. By the way the remington bulk ammo. (box of 550) desroys the federal in feeding, misfires and consistensy.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:jaw-dropping: An anti-gun buying a gun?

Next thing you know Israelis are going to be living peacefully side by side with Palestinians.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why is recoil a big concern? Or is it just that you don't want something with "excessive" recoil?

For a rifle intended for defensive use in urban environments, the AR-15 is a good choice as you have a high capacity (or you can once you move to a free state :D) and a round that will do the job pretty effectively without posing as much risk of overpenetration as you have with the .30 caliber rifles (and with pistols for that matter). For a more rural setting, an AK or other, bigger rifles might be a better choice due to their greater power and few people around to worry about.

For a pistol, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 are all about the same in terms of effectiveness...I recommend the 9mm because of cheaper ammo, higher capacity, and less muzzle flip than the larger ones.

And of course, a 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot is definitely an effective fight stopper.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd prefer to avoid recoil. Now, having never shopped for a gun before, I have no idea what to expect in a gun shop. Do you need a permit to browse? I know each state is different here, right now I'm in NY, and not likely to move for about a year, with the Austin-San Antonio area of Texas where I expect to end up.

Do gun shops allow you to test fire before you buy?

Latest Discussions