kristian roger

White Belt
Reaction score
Initially, you need to what Guns are used for. They help individuals to protect themselves from any impending danger. Firearms are employed for several purposes. Some people tend to use it for personal protection and hunting. At the same time, others need weapons to indulge in competitive shooting.

First time Gun Buyers have to figure out the purpose. After that, they need to get in touch with the best gun builders and decide whether to buy or create the rifle. Our choice for you is to make the weapon all by yourself because it's cheaper than acquiring a whole new weapon.

Get a weapon that is fun to shoot. First time Gun Buyers have to note other requirements as well. First of all, you've to approach a nearby gun store and then inquire about the different weapons on sale.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Make your own weapon as a first time gun buyer?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. I wondered about that too. You could also perform your own appendectomy on your dining room table.

I shoot a lot of toy guns. And the first instinct for new people is to modify them.

And then they don't shoot any more.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My suggestion is get the gun everyone else has.

That way everyone else has parts, everyone else knows how to shoot the thing, bullets are easier to get and everyone can fix them when they break.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of toy guns. And the first instinct for new people is to modify them.

And then they don't shoot any more.

I shoot a lot of real guns. Happily, most new gun owners either don't have that instinct or resist it.
Although to be honest, while something like a 1911 requires real knowledge and some skill to modify, something like a Glock is pretty much plug and play.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of real guns. Happily, most new gun owners either don't have that instinct or resist it.
Although to be honest, while something like a 1911 requires real knowledge and some skill to modify, something like a Glock is pretty much plug and play.

Every cop here has one for that reason.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that a good thing?

Why not? They're simple, inexpensive, incredibly reliable and durable, easy to fix and available in anything from a pocket pistol holding 7 rounds to a duty size holding 18 rounds. The officers could share magazines if needed. Or stick the 17 round magazine in the sub-compact model.
The only real downsides to a Glock, from my perspective, are the sights and the trigger. Both of which can be replaced in about 15 minutes. Total, not each.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Incorrect.

Glock is the leading gun in L.E. because of their finish, cost, and reliability.

I'm not the single biggest fan of Glock... My personal favorite striker-fired is the HK VP9. However, there's no denying that most cool-guy US military units that have a choice in what they carry (e.g. SEALs, Special Forces) choose to carry Glocks. Hell, Larry Vickers, a former top-tier special operator, is a big fan of the Glock as a combat pistol.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love my 1911, but I finally updated myself to HK45 , the 1911 of the 21 century. Excellent safety features, decocker for condition 2. I can pull hammer back for for single action. The list is long as to why I think the HK45 Is better than a Glock. You fine tune it better than the Glock.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love my 1911, but I finally updated myself to HK45 , the 1911 of the 21 century. Excellent safety features, decocker for condition 2. I can pull hammer back for for single action. The list is long as to why I think the HK45 Is better than a Glock. You fine tune it better than the Glock.

What do you mean by fine tuning?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"First time gun buyer" is a scary phrase. As it was when I purchased mine and maybe when you purchased yours.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean by fine tuning?

A little Homing of the parts. The single action is good, but I can make it a little better.
The double action is not good. The Beretta or Glock has much better double action.
I mostly shoot Single action.
The only time I would use double is if someone was very close and had no time to pull the hammer back.
Accuracy does not matter, if they are that close.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
The best double action out of the box is a Colt Python. They were homed at the factory and can not be improved.
Smith's and other Colts revolvers can be improve to be as good as a Python.
Probably Rugers and others came be homed to an excellent level by good gun smith.
I have only worked on Smith's and Colts.
I have not fire the Smith''s that are factory tune, but I would imagine they are good as a Python.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO the best first gun should be a high quality 357 revolver. They should shoot 38 special ammo.
Why 357 heavier gun less recoil and later you may wish to step up to 357.
Why a revolver, they are simple to use. no wondering is the safety on or off, no wondering as to is it loaded, no wondering is there a bullet in the chamber. no jams from bad ammo. If you can not hit someone with 6 four more is not going to help.
The heavy double action trigger helps you make sure you want to pull the trigger.

Latest Discussions