Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:jaw-dropping: An anti-gun buying a gun?

Next thing you know Israelis are going to be living peacefully side by side with Palestinians.
Yeah, funny that eh? ;)

Researching the Constitution, and history, as well as some of the discussions I've had, have changed my opinions a bit, and opened my eyes to some possibilities I've been admittedly blind to.

But I'm starting from zero here on a lot of this.

sjansen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd prefer to avoid recoil. Now, having never shopped for a gun before, I have no idea what to expect in a gun shop. Do you need a permit to browse? I know each state is different here, right now I'm in NY, and not likely to move for about a year, with the Austin-San Antonio area of Texas where I expect to end up.

Do gun shops allow you to test fire before you buy?

In the communist republic of Younork you will not find much concience. They are much like England in that they like to blame the defender for trying to protect themselves. In Texas you should be able to find many gun shops that are happy to let you shoot before buying.

For Cro, you are only seconds away from being killed/raped/assaulted, when the police are minutes away. Although I know he was being sarcastic.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I'd prefer to avoid recoil.
Just so you're clear, every weapon has recoil to some extent, including the little .22...we are setting off an explosion after all. However, the "felt-recoil" will vary from one gun to the next, and people's sensitivity to recoil is different. This makes judgements on the severity of recoil somewhat subjective. That said, common "service caliber" handguns (9, .40, .45, etc.) should not cause any discomfort. Neither will rifles like the AR-15 (most often chambered in .223) or the AK (most commonly chambered in 7.62x39 or 5.45x39).

Bob Hubbard said:
Now, having never shopped for a gun before, I have no idea what to expect in a gun shop. Do you need a permit to browse? I know each state is different here, right now I'm in NY, and not likely to move for about a year, with the Austin-San Antonio area of Texas where I expect to end up.
No, you don't need a permit to browse...

Bob Hubbard said:
Do gun shops allow you to test fire before you buy?
Some gun shops that also have a firing range on site will have some guns available for rent so that you can try different brands, models, and calibers. However, I doubt they'll let you test fire a brand new gun. I do know there is at least one in San Antonio that rents different guns.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you hold the weapon correctly, you will feel less recoil. Held too loosely, bad things happen...
The Army preaches proper cheek to stock weld.
If this girl had had that, and had had the stock tucked tightly to her shoulder, she wouldn't have been bucked so much or been hit in the eye.
Some time with a good instructor will make you worry about recoil a lot less, and how to afford the really good guns more...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, funny that eh? ;)

Researching the Constitution, and history, as well as some of the discussions I've had, have changed my opinions a bit, and opened my eyes to some possibilities I've been admittedly blind to.

Either way Bob, it's good to see that you're flexible and willing to change. Hope you don't regret your decision. Hope no butt head makes you regret it. :asian:
Learn from the best and mind what they say. Hope you enjoy your new *ahem* hobby.

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard wrote:
Yeah, funny that eh? ;)

I'm new to this website, but I have to say that your ability to look at an issue with open eyes/mind is impressive.

as far as the guns go....

The .22LR rifles such as the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 60 can't be beat. If you like to tinker go with the 10/22, aftermarket parts that make the little rifle even more enjoyable are everywhere. Most parts drop-in without the need for a gunsmith.

If you are thinking of 9mm, another very well built handgun is the CZ-75. If I was going to buy a new 9mm, I'd look at the HK P30. HK is pricey, but the quality is undeniable. Glock is also good, nice full capacity mags. Ruger 9's are built like tanks, but people seem to like them.

Good Luck

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well since you are just asking for paper target practice, the 10/22 would be perfect for you.

If you decide later about home defense (Yes I live in Texas) LOL, I will give my recommendation on other defensive handguns or bigger if you so choose.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob,
Go with some sort of .22; there are lots on the market, and others have covered that better than I can. But the .22 is cheap to shoot, too -- which means you'll probably actually do it! I've got a buddy with a beautiful sniper rifle... but it costs him about $3 to $5 a round... Nope, he doesn't shoot it often!

I wanna pull one comment from Big Don:
Some time with a good instructor will make you worry about recoil a lot less, and how to afford the really good guns more...
I can't support this strongly enough. The NRA has very good programs available. Spend the time with an instructor to learn how to shoot, to learn how to care for the gun, and just plain to learn gun safety. I'm absolutely certain you've got well meaning buddies offering to take you out and "show you how to shoot." Unless they're qualified firearms instructors... go out with them AFTER you go through a formal class.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bob,

In Texas you don't need no stink'en permit to browse, buy, or even keep your hogleg in the car.

And as for test firing, I sure wish gun shops allowed that. Just walk right out into the street, pick a knot on a near by tree, and let go a few rounds. Would be fun but in reality a whole bunch of LEOs would decend upon you like feas on a camel.

But, if you go to a indoor range where they sell guns, yes many will let you 'try before you buy'.

Deaf

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This past Friday I got to test-fire a Detonics Mk VI CM45 before I purchased it. My gunsmith lives outside of city limits and has a backstop setup.

BTW, the Detonics was flawless!!!

:uzi:

Last edited:
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be asking lots of questions later on about instruction.

I figure, "guns for dummys" and Shatner's paintball dvd's probably aren't quite enough. ;)

Seriously though, I appreciate all the advice.

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree with all the admonishment to get good instruction. Train, train, and then train some more.

There are good programs set-up by the NRA that are good basic courses. After you have the basics covered, you may want to check out some of the defensive shooting schools out there.

Check out this place. Warrior Talk Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Gabe Suarez is a no nonsense kinda guy, a firm believer in what works.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You might want to consider checking with the NRA even before you buy. They may have classes that provide guns, and that might give you a chance to try before you buy... Or at least feel a little more knowledgeable about buying.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
For "fun shooting", with no interest in using it for hunting or defense, go with a .22. Far and away one of the best "fun guns" with minimal cost going. Good for learning the basics.

Look out you may get hooked and join the "gun nut" club.

Ill sponsor you when it happens. ;)

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Bob:

Before you do anything further:

Fix these rules in your memory FOREVER:

RULE 1
ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

The only exception to this occurs when one has a weapon in his hands and he has personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as he puts it down, Rule 1 applies again.​
RULE 2
NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY

You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.​
RULE 3
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET AND THE DECISION TO FIRE HAS BEEN MADE

This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.​
RULE 4
BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT BEFORE YOU SHOOT

You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've always found rule #1 a bit tedious. There is no such thing as magic. If I put an unloaded and checked gun down, it does not magically become loaded.

Should all weapons be treated as though they are loaded, yes of course. Should anyone be told to obsessively check weapons known to be unloaded for a live round? No that is preposterous.

Being responsible around firearms also requires being smart around firearms.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd assume #1 is more a "has it been out of your sight/control" thing than a "I put it down to scratch my butt, now I have to check again" thing.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I'd assume #1 is more a "has it been out of your sight/control" thing than a "I put it down to scratch my butt, now I have to check again" thing.

Yes. Or most often when one person puts it down, and another person wishes to pick it up, correct discipline demands the new holder check it *anyway*.

But it's good practice to develop the habit of being safe anyway.