Bujinkan Curriculum

Forever Training

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello, all.

I was wondering if there exists a set curriculum manual for the Bujinkan Dojo that shows the requirements for each kyu.

I imagine Masaaki Hatsumi has standardized this, for the purposes of consistency and completeness of training.

Does anyone know where one can find it?

Tripitaka of AA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

In the mind and experience of a good teacher, you will find it. Questions you have, will be answered.If on paper you hope to find it, then disappointed you shall be. If a rewind button in your own living room is your master, then knowledge that you seek will not be found.
:yoda:

OP
Forever Training

Forever Training

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the mind and experience of a good teacher, you will find it. Questions you have, will be answered.If on paper you hope to find it, then disappointed you shall be. If a rewind button in your own living room is your master, then knowledge that you seek will not be found.

Ah, but to rely on one's mind alone and therefore the minds of your paduan learners as they then become Shidoshi is to accept the inevitable losses in bits of the material with the transmission to each generation of your lineage.... and also to accept the inconsistencies that will inevitably occur from dojo to dojo.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless there have been some drastic changes in the Bujinkan in recent years, there is no standardized curriculum. Nor are there consistent requirements for rank advancement. Individual instructors may have their own curriculum and requirements, but it's not anything universally standardized by Hatsumi.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it -- there's only one formalized test, and that's for godan. That's the one where Hatsumi or one of a handful of designated very senior teachers swing a padded shinai at you when you're sitting quietly. Pass or fail -- it's Hatsumi's call. I don't think I've heard that he's let anyone else grade it, only deliver the strike. And I've seen videos on YouTube where seemingly pretty similar reactions have been either pass or fail... I have to assume that he sees something that I can't.

Hatsie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As I understand it -- there's only one formalized test, and that's for godan. That's the one where Hatsumi or one of a handful of designated very senior teachers swing a padded shinai at you when you're sitting quietly. Pass or fail -- it's Hatsumi's call. I don't think I've heard that he's let anyone else grade it, only deliver the strike. And I've seen videos on YouTube where seemingly pretty similar reactions have been either pass or fail... I have to assume that he sees something that I can't.

Thats correct, but from 9th kyu to yondan pretty much everyone follows master Richard van donks black belt home study course, often the japanes shihan will refer to it several times during class, when they forget or cant do something, It's the only way to go !

GOT CHA!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello, all.

I was wondering if there exists a set curriculum manual for the Bujinkan Dojo that shows the requirements for each kyu.

I imagine Masaaki Hatsumi has standardized this, for the purposes of consistency and completeness of training.

Er... you're not that familiar with the Bujinkan, then...?

OP
Forever Training

Forever Training

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Er... you're not that familiar with the Bujinkan, then...?

Chris,

Having received my BB in another style, I am now contemplating training in the Bujinkan. Of the research I have done thus far, I find it fascinating, steeped in tradition and history,
drawing its curriculum from the 9 ryūha of feudal Japan.

I recently visited a class at the only x-kan dojo near me (40 minutes away). New England Ninjutsu in Wallingford, CT. This is Shidoshi Kowalski's dojo, although he currently has some
very impressive 4th degree Shidoshi-ho teaching class. Having a background in Chinese Kempo, I find Budo Taijutsu is very much outside my comfort zone, but that is exactly
what appeals to me.

OP
Forever Training

Forever Training

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thats correct, but from 9th kyu to yondan pretty much everyone follows master Richard van donks black belt home study course, often the japanes shihan will refer to it several times during class, when they forget or cant do something, It's the only way to go !

Interesting. Is this the consensus among BBT practitioners here on MT? Should anyone interested in training in BBT get Van Donk's course, if only as a resource? (Thanks Hatsie.)

OP
Forever Training

Forever Training

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

sakki_test.jpg
Just looked this up. The Sakki Test. Woa.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chris,

Having received my BB in another style, I am now contemplating training in the Bujinkan. Of the research I have done thus far, I find it fascinating, steeped in tradition and history,

I recently visited a class at the only x-kan dojo near me (40 minutes away). New England Ninjutsu in Wallingford, CT. This is Shidoshi Kowalski's dojo, although he currently has some
very impressive 4th degree Shidoshi-ho teaching class. Having a background in Chinese Kempo, I find Budo Taijutsu is very much outside my comfort zone, but that is exactly
what appeals to me.

If you can train at Greg's place that is absolutely great. When he would come to the UofM for seminars they were excellent!!! I mean really excellent. Loved training when he was in town!

OP
Forever Training

Forever Training

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No he was joking!!!

Yeah, looking at Hatsie's reply, I should have picked up on the sarcasm.

Seriously though, now that Hatsie has been brought up......

I know that home study courses are a joke and that nothing replaces live instruction
from a qualified Shidoshi. But....

...if in considering it as a reference/resource tool, is the Van Donk's course considered a joke?
...is the material presented incorrect or incomplete?

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't comment on RVD myself not being a practitioner of the Takamatsuden arts. But generally, if you are going to use a home study course as a supplement, the best bet would be to decide on a school first, and then go with material the instructor recommends for the class, if any. Naturally it can be a waste of effort and money if the video sends you in a different direction. :)

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have never actually seen the RVD footage, but the consensus seems to be that his movement is a little sloppy and some of his ideas of what is going on in the kata do not seem accurate. Again, I've never viewed them but he does not seem to be a widely supported source of quality among serious practitioners in the Bujinkan.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chris,

what appeals to me.

If you don't mind making the drive, I'd certainly suggest training there. Greg is a great guy and a fantastic teacher. I'm not sure how often he's there, which is probably why you see the 4th dans. But nonetheless, he has some impressive teachers there. I do know that Greg usually conducts monthly weekend seminars on various topics.

Hatsie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I know that home study courses are a joke and that nothing replaces live instruction

...if in considering it as a reference/resource tool, is the Van Donk's course considered a joke?

Sorry you fell for that, I did put 'gotcha' :)

IMHO and espescially if used with an instructor, there pathetic. Laughable in parts and Their also quite old now too. ( Meaning richard has probably improved significantly since then too. The best thing is to train with and listen to your instructor, don't just be another 'rent payer' in the dojo. If you are keen and stick around your teacher will pick up on this. Most of the good ones just want a few good students to train with.

Lastly if there is anything you on those videos your teacher wouldn't crap all over easily, maybe you need a new teacher! I would actually advise listening to people ( certain people) on these boards, upload videos to them maybe?, before shelling out a cent on some expensive tosh.
Don't fall for slick salesmanship and try to buy a dream.

cheers

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I would not recommend anyone using Van Donks videos for anything. That is just my opinion!

I would however recommend purchasing Hatsumi Sensei DVD's and book's. They are great reference material!

Hatsie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would not recommend anyone using Van Donks videos for anything. That is just my opinion!

I would however recommend purchasing Hatsumi Sensei DVD's and book's. They are great reference material!

thats a bit hard! The old VHS ones are great for little platforms for toilet training kids and the DVDs are great for hanging on strings for decoration. :)

One that sticks in my mind is him trying to do a 'soke like' technique with a kusari or something and its just horrible, the guys meant to be restrained but its all lose, Richard acts along pretending its secure and they all laugh!
That made it past the edit stage and sold as a reference system for hundreds of dollars!?!?

I think he's good with the patter, and people are certain times in their life might buy into it, prolly the target audience!

'reach for the stars, and pull them in!'