Buddhist thought in practice and learning

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not.
I have no interest in practicing Buddhism.
I believe that benefits or consequences of such a thing are subject to the individual.

You been getting right into the spiritual stuff lately, mastercole?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really do not think that a persons specific religious beliefs are going to have any significant impact on their MA training, in the sense that being Buddist, Catholic, Protestant, Athiest, Agnostic or Neo-Zen Druid will not make their training more, or less, effective.

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Compassion for the other. I take care of those I fight, or spar with. I try to do no harm, and teach what has been given to me, freely. That all individuals are worth teaching, and that everyone can improve.

When I spar, I try to bend their movements around my arms, to retain control over my pov, and establish it over theirs in a match.

In self-defense however, I think I wouldn't act very buddhist however.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe I do, but I do not believe it is purposeful. I cannot say that I am a devout Buddhist, but I do practice Seon Buddhism as well as Christianity. I believe the habits that I have formed and habits that I am forming through this practice naturally follows me in my martial art practice and teaching. I do not do it consciously so to explain it would be like trying to describe the taste of water. It just is.

I do not believe one needs to understand Seon Buddhism to practice Taekwondo, but I do feel that by understanding that, along with Confucianism, one can gain a deeper appreciation and understanding of the culture that developed Taekwondo thereby having a better understanding of the art.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compassion for the other. I take care of those I fight, or spar with. I try to do no harm, and teach what has been given to me, freely. That all individuals are worth teaching, and that everyone can improve.

When I spar, I try to bend their movements around my arms, to retain control over my pov, and establish it over theirs in a match.

In self-defense however, I think I wouldn't act very buddhist however.

How do you bend your arms around their movements? Retain control over your pov = point of view? Establishing what over their what in a match?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As a Taekwondoin, is your practice Buddhist in anyway?

If not, why? If so, please tell us about it?

Are there benefits to practicing or not practicing Buddhist principles, both inside and outside of the Taekwondo world?

Thank you

Hi MasterCole
I am not a Taekwondo person but I do follow Buddha Dharma.
As a Taekwondoin, is your practice Buddhist in anyway?
If you practice Dharma then anything you do, say or think is related to Dharma in some way. What makes a Taekwondo person's Taekwondo or any martial art Buddhist is if the person follows Buddha Dharma. I suppose if you are going to make a martial art Buddhist then your art would have to follow the teachings and put those teachings into practice.

Are there benefits to practicing or not practicing Buddhist principles, both inside and outside of the Taekwondo world?
If a Buddhist told you the benefits of following Dharma it may be biased which wouldn't be very Buddha-like. Buddha said in the Kalama discourse" Do not believe in spiritual teachings just because:" He also meant this about his own teachings which should be questioned and examined. You would have to examine the teachings and see if they are principles you want to follow and if they benefit you then how to fit those principles with your martial art.

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How do you bend your arms around their movements?

Say they throw a punch to my midsection, I would block with the elbow, by striking the top of the hand. I would keep my elbow there, controlling where the move their hand. It effectively keeps them from striking, because the second they break contact toward me I can easily trap and break the are with the elbow by pulling it down and in. I hope that description helps.

Retain control over your pov = point of view?

I've always enjoyed thinking that if we are not fighting for survival, we are still fighting for a reason. Fighting without it has no direction. Winning is not an apt enough word to me, but when sparring I have found, between equals, the expression is of one's will through the physical chessmatch. There's a space where you really flow with the strikes, and see each other. I am very good at reading body language, which also helps to give the feeling of knowing the other in combat.

I would like to think the person who triumps, does so not only through technique, but also strength of will.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I incorporate Buddhist, Confucian, and Taoist philosophy, ethics and morality (with some spirituality, although not in a religious sense) in my practice of Taekwondo. Mainly because it is the culture that my seniors and the pioneers come from. In order to best understand the view point of the Pioneers (and just the Korean instructors in general), it's very helpful to understand to have a base understanding of these philosophies.

Realize it or not, believe it or not, but the facts of the matter are that the tenets of Taekwondo and the creed of the Moo Duk Kwan are reworkings of the Code of the Hwarang, which is deeply rooted in Buddhism (as well as Confucianism).

Creed of the Moo Duk Kwan:

a. Be loyal to your country.
b. Obey your parents.
c. Respect elders and teachers.
d. Trust in your friends.
e. Never kill anything.

Code of the Hwa Rang:
1. Serve the king with loyalty.
2. Be obedient to your parents.
3. Be honorable to a friend.
4. Never retreat in Battle.
5. Kill justly.

That said, I'm an omnivore, I hunt, and I grew up on a cattle farm. I eat and kill, and I'm okay with that. I own pets, and I'm okay with that. I have friends who owns a greyhound kennel, and I'm okay with that. So in many ways I do not practice Buddhism nearly as much as I do Confucian and Taoist philosophy. I believe I am generally and empathetic and compassionate person though.. .

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say they throw a punch to my midsection, I would block with the elbow, by striking the top of the hand. I would keep my elbow there, controlling where the move their hand. It effectively keeps them from striking, because the second they break contact toward me I can easily trap and break the are with the elbow by pulling it down and in.I hope that description helps.

I've always enjoyed thinking that if we are not fighting for survival, we are still fighting for a reason. Fighting without it has no direction. Winning is not an apt enough word to me, but when sparring I have found, between equals, the expression is of one's will through the physical chessmatch. There's a space where you really flow with the strikes, and see each other. I am very good at reading body language, which also helps to give the feeling of knowing the other in combat.

I would like to think the person who triumps, does so not only through technique, but also strength of will.

You know, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about nor how it fits in with the OP. :confused:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
i was raised buddhist, so it is relatively easy for me to understand, adopt and apply buddhist thought and principles into my own personal martial arts practice.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I do not.
I have no interest in practicing Buddhism.
I believe that benefits or consequences of such a thing are subject to the individual.

You been getting right into the spiritual stuff lately, mastercole?

I would not say I have been one way or the other, they are questions related to Taekwondo. The philosophy of Taekwondo is the philosophy of the Korean people, which is strongly based in Buddhist, Confucian and Taoist thought, to study and practices these philosophies is to exactly study and practice Taekwondo (I do not mean in a religious sense).

But the purpose of this thread was to see what other folks think and do in this regard.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I really do not think that a persons specific religious beliefs are going to have any significant impact on their MA training, in the sense that being Buddist, Catholic, Protestant, Athiest, Agnostic or Neo-Zen Druid will not make their training more, or less, effective.

I was not referring to religious beliefs or religious practice, think of my question from a philosophical position.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would not say I have been one way or the other, they are questions related to Taekwondo. The philosophy of Taekwondo is the philosophy of the Korean people, which is strongly based in Buddhist, Confucian and Taoist thought, to study and practices these philosophies is to exactly study and practice Taekwondo (I do not mean in a religious sense).

But the purpose of this thread was to see what other folks think and do in this regard.

The extent of Philosophical stuff Ive learnt in Training, goes about as far as talking about Self Improvement, mostly in terms of Self Defensive Capability.
Ive read alot on here, from People who get a whole bunch of Philosophy dumped on them, so with that in mind, I can perhaps see from whence Your interest arise :)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The extent of Philosophical stuff Ive learnt in Training, goes about as far as talking about Self Improvement, mostly in terms of Self Defensive Capability.
Ive read alot on here, from People who get a whole bunch of Philosophy dumped on them, so with that in mind, I can perhaps see from whence Your interest arise :)
We dont relly get into the philosophical stuff other than manners, respect etc. I dont know of many clubs over here who really go too deeply into that sort of stuff.

Latest Discussions