Bored!!!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
The hands on hips syndrome has its roots in the Howarang boyscouts, where they constantly had to fend off the groping hands of the teachers.

The Sine Wave up and down motion also comes from there but I won`t get more into that...

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
And by the way, the flying side kick was not developed to unhorse riders. That is a total myth.

It actually was first used by the ROK marines in the vietnam war. They would hide their observational posts in the treetops. If an enemy bomber or fighter aircraft came close, it would be kicked right out of the air. Trampolines were even used to reach high flying spy planes.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Spear hand is very effective, if you can break through the skin. Otherwise, I see no point.

Purely as a strike it's meant to attack soft tissue areas like the eyes or throat or even nostrils. If you specifically condition your finger tips, the applications become much more apparent and there's even the 'internal' damage you can inflict if you study the kyusho arts.

Granted, hardly anyone does conditions their hands and fingers these days due to the lack of need, but these open hand strikes are a carry-over from the older type training. If all you ever do is pad up and spar using friendly sporting rules, I agree there's not much point to techs like spear hands.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The horse stance was never meant to have anything to do with fighting. It comes from the need for warriors to pee on the battlefield without taking off their armor or putting down their weapons. The fact that some warriors were attacked while peeing contributed to the myth that it was a fighting stance.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Purely as a strike it's meant to attack soft tissue areas like the eyes or throat or even nostrils. If you specifically condition your finger tips, the applications become much more apparent and there's even the 'internal' damage you can inflict if you study the kyusho arts.

Granted, hardly anyone does conditions their hands and fingers these days due to the lack of need, but these open hand strikes are a carry-over from the older type training. If all you ever do is pad up and spar using friendly sporting rules, I agree there's not much point to techs like spear hands.

Stop try to make this a productive Thread!!!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stop try to make this a productive post!!!

Well I could introduce a few controversial threads that go beyond the banter on this thread. Not sure the moderators would appreciate it though.

Why don't you start another one, Gorilla? I suggest something like "Does taekwondo needs cross-training to complete it?". Then we could have a serious discussion/flame war to satisfy your appetite. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I could introduce a few controversial threads that go beyond the banter on this thread. Not sure the moderators would appreciate it though.

Why don't you start another one, Gorilla? I suggest something like "Does taekwondo needs cross-training to complete it?". Then we could have a serious discussion/flame war to satisfy your appetite. :)

I will OK

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The Original meaning of TKD was Terrible Karate Dance

I saw a TKDer drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics.

And his hair was perfect.

I saw a TKDer with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's
Going to get himself a big dish of beef chow mein

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenyans invented Taekwondo and gave it to the Koreans so they (Kenyans) could concentrate on long distance running. There's a rumor that the Korean Taekwondo Association has been secretly funding Kenyan runners for years to dissuade them from thinking about Taekwondo. Nobody wants the WTF World Champioships to turn into the Boston, New York, Tokyo or London marathons.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you want this to be productiove we need Twin Fist.

What happened to Twin Fist? He always had something to say. I rather enjoyed the banter. I hope that he has not taken his ball and went home. Come back Twin Fist!!! Come back!!!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After extensive internet research, namely:

[yt]FbYtASAakAI[/yt]

I can find no reference to Kenya and TKD. your argument is, therefor, invalid.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That, sir, is obviously Hung Gar

Pardon me my good lord. But, isn't that precisely the point? Hung Gar -- the system lifted from Kenyan tribesmen by the Chinese and later generations of Koreans -- sprung from the voracious lions of the Tsavo savannah, which are depicted in the wonderful documentary.