Bored!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Could someone please start a "good natured" controversy!!! Its not fun when we all agree.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
In order to promote interest in the sport of TKD, the addition of a 10' long leather strap attaching to the right wrist of each competitor will be instituted next month. The "strap match" has an ancient history in the Korean arts, descending from the ancient hwarang warriors and developed from a native equestrian sport where Korean warriors would attempt to unhorse their opponent while standing on a barebacked horse.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw a TKDer drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics.

And his hair was perfect.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let me get some popcorn and a coke, it seems this tread it's going to be a good one.

Manny

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The emphasis on kicks in TKD was developed after WWI by the great number of single-armed veterans.

Read it on the internets.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spear hand and ridge hand, do you feel they have a valid point in self defense?

Well it's clear that the real fights I've ever seen in the streets the fighters used their fists to try to knock the other guy and never a spear hand or ridge hand to end a fight. When I was a little kid there was a time when I used a hammer fist but almost all my hands techs were fists not open hand techs.

This days I will rather use a fist or an elbow to smash an oponent instead of using my fingers and inner edge of my hand to cause body harm.

Manny

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spear hand is very effective, if you can break through the skin. Otherwise, I see no point.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My TKD teacher back in the day, told his class that the spear hand to the sternum was lethal. Prove that he was wrong. Or right, if you'd rather do that.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In order to promote interest in the sport of TKD, the addition of a 10' long leather strap attaching to the right wrist of each competitor will be instituted next month. The "strap match" has an ancient history in the Korean arts, descending from the ancient hwarang warriors and developed from a native equestrian sport where Korean warriors would attempt to unhorse their opponent while standing on a barebacked horse.

I think that this would improve Olympic style TKD. Discuss!!!!!

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The palm strike was originally used to break open the ice packs by striking them on the ground if they wouldnt open....True story...I had to do it! LOL

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Spear hand and ridge hand, do you feel they have a valid point in self defense?

Manny

Serious question? Yes I do.

I think the spear hand in the forms I do is part of an "arm bar" control technique. If done properly, a jung dan level strike would also be aimed at the face/eyes of someone controlled in the arm bar.

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
During the days of Koryo, the korean forces would march on the field of battle and engage their opponents in a fierce battle of poomsae. It is said that these battles would last for days since no one truly knew how to score it.

These choreographed battles lead to your modern music videos a la michael jackson. Speaking of, he also invented the tying of ones hand to the opponents hand, engaging in combat as illustrated on one of his music videos. shamo.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Serious question? Yes I do.

I think the spear hand in the forms I do is part of an "arm bar" control technique. If done properly, a jung dan level strike would also be aimed at the face/eyes of someone controlled in the arm bar.

Stop being so agreeable!!!!

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fine.

TKD sucks anyway.

It's just a sport.

And the forms suck.

And only pansies wear V-necks.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions