block or evade

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
doc clean said:
What do you mine by 'stuff him'. When people step in on my round kicks, they usually end up with a knee in the ribs or arm. It isn't intentional on my part, they are just stepping into them.

When they take enough of those, they'll learn. :) I did. It's not something that "sorta" works. Do it or don't. Don't "sorta" do it.
They're not coming in far enough. When I'm in, you get me with your thigh. I'm right in your face, close enough to nudge you with my shoulder. That moves you back as I jump back, putting you in striking range with one motion intstead of two. It's very fast. Even for an old fart like me. :)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh, ok I think this is my first post in the TKD section ever!! I feel like a spy or something :)

I think what mantis is refering to is basically what we refer to as "The Rules Governing Wushu" of which the first is "Move rather than block". I think we have a tendancy to take one principle or technique and try to apply it to any scenario or situation. Any said technique can become invalid or ineffective by a myriad of different situations. In my own opinion, his answer is great for many situations. However as pointed out, a roundhouse would be difficult. Someone mentioned "stepping in" and that is very close to what I would say.

I would argue that the difference between a close punch (from a couple of inches) and a rear leg kick (from a couple of feet) is merely a fraction of a second, but thats a whole other discussion. However, my own reaction to this situation would be sort of combining all of these. I would attempt to not only move in closer, but move around the opponant in the direction of the kick, move in very close (1 or 2 inches. Basically my chest to their shoulder or back), block first (my blocking is probably very different, I'm refering to a soft block), then redirect the kick. This sounds like a lot to try and do, but if done all simultaneously it can be very effective. Most kickers I've fought with have a hard time kicking from my fighting range, so I would attempt to stay at that range as much as possible to prevent further kicks. We practice "emptying" the attack be it a kick or punch. If you move enough you can allow their kick to completely reach its potential and then attempt to over-extend or unbalance the kicker. All of this is done while throwing as many attacks of my own that I possibly can, including punches, elbows, knees, and low kicks such as knee kicks.

The problem is defining if we are talking about olympic style fighting or self defense type fighting. The techniques would be different.

Just my 3 or 4 cents,
7sm

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I have never seperated the two. I have always used movement in conjunction with my blocking. Which one comes first depends on the situation. I feel that by standing my ground and just blocking is like trying to see if you can take the punch/kick or not. I for one don't want others to say, "Man that guy can take a beating." It seems very detrimental to my further health to stand my ground and absorb blows. Whether it is on the street or in the ring. So in short, don't seperate the two. Make them work together.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think to sum up a bit of what Adam is saying (at least as he's explained to me before; he's my Sabumnim) is:

1) You're going to get hit, you're going to get hurt. Expect it and get accustomed to it so it does not come as a surprise and will not be as

2) In TKD, blocks are strikes, use them as such. I find this out the hard way after a class of self-defense. If I'm the attacker and the SD move involves a block to a limb, it hurts. Anyway. if you block with good force, if you block as if you are striking the opponents weapon, then you will inflict damage on them and make them less likely to want to attack you like that again.

3) Simple 'block' or 'evade' is not an either/or proposition but two parts of a larger whole. Evade being to get out of the line of attack, block being to attack the weapon, and then counter being to attack the body. You can block and evade. block and counter, evade and counter, etc...

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jay,

I think you did some verbal hapkido to what Adam posted, but I agree with each of those statements.

I tell my students-whether it is self-defense or sparring-best defense is to not be there (you have to read that like Mr. Miyagi of the Karate Kid movies BTW).

If you are going to get hit, move into or out of the way-the idea being you don't want to be hit when the attacker's weapon has attained optimal speed. This means moving in (such as in a "cover punch" situation) so that you have jammed the attacking appendage before it gets a full head of steam. Or, you can move out of the way-sort of go in the same direction of the attack so that if it hits you, it is not penetrating power.

Because we hit each other full-contact so often, it is imperative to learn how to absorb the shot so you are not taking it like a board-that's the beauty of hogu drills-it's not just the attacker who is getting something out of the drill.

When you do block, your block is an attack on the opponent's arm/leg. The Kukkiwon textbook says this is how a righteous person fights-injuring the attacker only so that he can't continue the attack.

In the same way, your attack can be simultaneously blocking or deflecting your opponent's attack. Sort of a best defense is a good offense mentality.

Good training!

Miles

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hardly ever block with my hands, i block with my shoulders, hard to explain, but most of the time i use the slide to slip in and out of their zone, sometimes i block with my hands but that's only usually when they try to hit my head.